Amazon says Kindle Fire HD has comparable screen, lower price tag than iPad

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Amazon's whole goal is for more shoppers for Amazon. Put the device out there for little to no profit, hoping they buy more stuff on Amazon to make up for it. It doesn't seem to be working very well. 

Meanwhile, people can consume (purchase) much more with an iPad. The Kindle Fire is more locked-down than anything Apple offers. But you can root it and put full Android on it!! Don't go crying to Amazon when it doesn't work properly. 

It's like the Android fans saying the Nexus 7 is far superior to the iPad mini for less money. Those same geeks who obsess over specs fail to see the pure usable advantages the iPad mini has over the Nexus 7 for that $129 difference. 
    1) Better battery life
    2) More screen real estate
    3) Front AND rear cameras
    4) Huge variety of iPad (tablet-specific) apps
    5) An older processor delivers an equally snappy (or better) user experience
    6) Usable life - the iPad mini will most likely be supported for OS updates from Apple much longer. Google only cares about your device if they can sneak in a few more things that will generate ad revenue. Leading to # 7
    7) Apple makes their money up front from the purchase of the device. I can't trust any company who gives away their OS, since nothing is free in life. 

Having used 3 tablets (the original iPad, an Asus transformer, and an HP touchpad), I simply cannot see what pure usable advantage the iPad has I've the other tablets.

The only thing I heard is the amount of apps on the iPad, but the apps I use are already on both iOS and android, so that point is moot to me.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    OT but an iPhone 5 ration iPad would be nice.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    This must be good news for amazon. Can't wait for a press release touting actual numbers instead of "number one best seller (non iPad edition) tablet on Amazon dot com!"
  • Reply 44 of 55
    Observant potential customers will notice in the side-by-side picture of the iPad vs. Kindle that the smaller Kindle is magnified by comparison, to look larger than it is - which is facilitated by larger male hands holding the iPad and smaller female hands holding the Kindle.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But it has "stereo speaker grilles"!

Wait, WHAT? Do you mean no wall charger or literally no cable to attach it to anything?

This is what Amazon said by itself.

Included in the BoxKindle Fire HD 8.9" tablet, USB 2.0 cable, and Quick Start Guide. Power adapter sold separately

• Reply 46 of 55

Amazon can't offer the customer service and ecosystem the iPad had going for it. 

• Reply 47 of 55
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

This is what Amazon said by itself.

Included in the BoxKindle Fire HD 8.9" tablet, USB 2.0 cable, and Quick Start Guide. Power adapter sold separately

Cheating a bit but for a device that can charge through the USB when connected to a computer... borderline.

• Reply 48 of 55
    Not to be overlooked is the "Amazon Kindle tax". The iPad supports the industry standard ePUB book format. The Kindle does not, instead using Amazon's AZW format. If you browse the Gutenberg.org site and inspect the download sizes of files, you will see that the Kindle downloads are much larger than the ePUB ones. This means you can have less than half as many books on your Kindle than your iPad.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    Yet hundreds more features on the ipad
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Look at the hands on the comparison photos. They are larger in the Amazon tablet side. Which means they enlarged the table photo to try and make it a comparable size to the iPad. Clearly can't compare one to one, so they have to distort, cheat and lie.
  • Reply 51 of 55

Look at the hands on the comparison photos. They are larger in the Amazon tablet side. Which means they enlarged the table photo to try and make it a comparable size to the iPad. Clearly can't compare one to one, so they have to distort, cheat and lie.

• Reply 52 of 55
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Well, considering that according to Gazelle.com, I could sell my iPad (3rd gen., Wi-Fi only, 32GB) right now for $250, getting an new iPad (4th gen., Wi-Fi only, 32GB) would end up being $19 cheaper than a "comparable" (year, right) Kindle Fire HD.

I paid a whopping $49 for my iPhone5 due to the resale value of my iPhone4S.

I think extremely high resale value for Apple products is something that is often overlooked as a "feature."  Heck, Gazelle tells me that my 3-1/2 year-old 27" iMac is still worth $529.

• Reply 53 of 55

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Cheating a bit but for a device that can charge through the USB when connected to a computer... borderline.

But the iPod and iPhone family are exactly that. As long as there's a cable included, I don't see a problem.

• Reply 54 of 55

Amazon is being misleading in the video, making the Kindle screen bigger than reality in that comparison.

The iPad screen is both Taller and Wider than the Amazon screen. Yet in the Video, the Amazon screen is wider than the iPads.

Par for the course in advertising I guess.

• Reply 55 of 55
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Wall Street likes cheap and can see no difference between a tablet Amazon sells and a tablet Apple sells.

Wall Stree likes cheap until the margins drop, they like the Apple brand because its value was built through reputation, but the would ruin the value of the brand by pushing for things that ruin it; they fear Apple might no longer be a driver of innovation, but they hate new product announcements because it affects margins in the short term.
    In other words, Wall Street knows how to pick and play news so they can cash in on options games while stupid sheep investors run in panic back and forth.