Test finds Surface Pro's storage space comparable to MacBook Air

Comments

• Reply 41 of 100

So many informed opinions about the Surface Pro. Glad to see that so many people got one already to do some objective testing.

• Reply 42 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Surface pro is DOA but not because of storage. It's really a non-issue for most people

It sounds terrific for artists though. The finger-painting on iOS isn't adequate and won't be until we get Wacom-like line-weight variation.

• Reply 43 of 100
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bohannjn View Post

I have a MacBook Air and and MacBook Pro along with two other Macs and three iPads. When I touch the screen on any OS X computer nothing happens. Forget the comments about screen angle, battery life, etc.

I appreciate the comments but there are differences and Apple needs to put touch in OS X at some point.

They promoted this with iOS and customers expect it.

How many times have you seen a 4 year old touch the screen on a MacBook computer (any model). Apple needs to let the 4 years olds guide them.

I think their touch design for laptops makes far more sense. I use gestures on my Mac everyday and my arms don't get tired.  It works far better than having a laptop or desktop computer with an OS that some things work with touch while other don't.  I have a keyboard cover case for my iPad, which by the way was out before Microsoft's "innovation" was even displayed, it is exhausting and annoying going back and forth between the screen and keyboard. I bought this arrangement for taking notes at school but was forced to just go ahead and buy the Macbook Air to keep from carrying my Pro everyday.  In fact, I keep wishing my keyboard case had track pad gesture support, and so the back and forth would be unnecessary. 

• Reply 44 of 100
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    iandean wrote: »
    Nonesense! I was in the apple store yesterday looking at brand new MacBook Air. It was using little over 8.5 GB of its 128GB Space. Clearly this guy installed a bunch more apps on the machine greatly effecting the results.

That's what I thought but I didn't have a recent Mac to check.
  • Reply 45 of 100
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I'm always amazed at Apple's pricing scheme.

$999 gets you in the door for the 11" Macbook Air. But wait... just $100 more doubles the storage!

Oh look... another $100 gets you a bigger screen and a faster processor!!

Unless you really needed the 11" form-factor... the 13" sounds like the better deal to me.

This reminds me of the old 4th gen iPod Touch. $199 for 8GB... $299 for 32GB !!!

It seems crazy not to get the better models... Apple does that on purpose :D

And, yet, lots of people buy the entry level models.

What part of "offering different price points for people with different needs" don't you understand?
  • Reply 46 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's what I thought but I didn't have a recent Mac to check.

Correct. 12GB used, including all the applications AND Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac.

• Reply 47 of 100
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

It sounds terrific for artists though. The finger-painting on iOS isn't adequate and won't be until we get Wacom-like line-weight variation.

If we ignore the fact that magazine covers have been created on the iPhone. Find a new talking point.

• Reply 48 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by iandean View Post

Nonesense! I was in the apple store yesterday looking at brand new MacBook Air. It was using little over 8.5 GB of its 128GB Space. Clearly this guy installed a bunch more apps on the machine greatly effecting the results.

LOL! Exactly 8.5 GB is a lot more realistic. But maybe if you leave all Garageband and iMove extra content on the hard disk it may very well add some more GB. But as far as I know, the Surface comes with very little extra software if at all.

• Reply 49 of 100
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

So many informed opinions about the Surface Pro. Glad to see that so many people got one already to do some objective testing.

I've read enough reviews of those who did and it doesn't make me want one.  I'm still trying to figure out who they're expecting to buy this.

And the way Microsoft fanboys are defending this product is quite amusing.  On the one hand they compare it to the iPad saying its a much better tablet because you can do real work on it and run real PC programs on it.  Yet when someone brings up crap battery life, weight and thickness (for a tablet) the MS tribe morphs it in to an Ultrabook and says its not fair to compare it to the battery life and form factor of a tablet.  But when some one argues its not really a great laptop because its hard to use on your lap without it falling backwards (all the weight is in the screen) then it becomes a tablet again and we're told it's not meant for use on your lap.

Surface is a very confused product full of compromises.  Only the MS apologists on sites like c|net and ZDNet would try and push it as the future of computing,

• Reply 50 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

If we ignore the fact that magazine covers have been created on the iPhone. Find a new talking point.

I've seen some of those, the art produced is limited and crude, like an enlarged sketch. While an enlarged sketch can have a charm of its own these are used as finished art only because of the gimmick of having been produced on a phone.

It's really not the best tool for the job.

• Reply 51 of 100
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Really?

You should let David Kassan and David Hockney know that they are wasting their time on the iPad. I'm sure you are in their class as an artist to make such a comment?

• Reply 52 of 100
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Consumers are happy that OSX is an entertainment delivery system. That's why they're buying more Apple computers and less Windows PCs.

Ah yes, the tired old "toy" argument from a resident troll. Yep, "real" work can only be done with Windows.

• Reply 53 of 100

I've emailed Ed asking him how he got to 92gb of usable space on the Air.  He asks in the article title, who's being honest - and frankly he's being dishonest or disingenuous at best, with this comparison.  The honest answer is that Windows is a hog of an OS and there is no sense making comparisons and trying to suggest otherwise.

The question supporters of MS should be making is "Why doesn't MS figure out how to trim down the OS for mobile hardware?"  Of course I already know the answer is "You get a full "real" OS on the Surface" and "I can run any legacy Windows programs on it".

• Reply 54 of 100
    My 128GB Air had over 100GB free when I first booted up, and that's with the 8GB of RAM.
  • Reply 55 of 100
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jmgregory1 wrote: »
    I've emailed Ed asking him how he got to 92gb of usable space on the Air.  He asks in the article title, who's being honest - and frankly he's being dishonest or disingenuous at best, with this comparison.  The honest answer is that Windows is a hog of an OS and there is no sense making comparisons and trying to suggest otherwise.

The question supporters of MS should be making is "Why doesn't MS figure out how to trim down the OS for mobile hardware?"  Of course I already know the answer is "You get a full "real" OS on the Surface" and "I can run any legacy Windows programs on it".

That's another thing that is off about this. He doesn't convert to one method and start with the disk size and usage between them. For instance, use BASE-2 on everything which means that each 128GB drive would be about 119.2 GiB. Then break down how big each OS, each recovery drive, and each suite of additional installs. He has 128 and then jumps to 92.2 GB for MBA user data.

He has none of this. He has a bunch of impressive numbers all weaved into a huge article that simply doesn't pan out when if you actually follow it.
  • Reply 56 of 100
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Please educate your self, you shouldn't said the most antique form of art is inadequate. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=ipad+art&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&tbo=d&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=iw0VUZbEMOLB0AH1wIHYCQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAA&biw=1227&bih=907#hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&tbo=d&rls=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=ipad+art&oq=ipad+art&gs_l=img.3...0.0.0.387803.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1c..2.img.6-5U7W66OjU&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42080656,d.dmQ&fp=23d9bda16109685e&biw=1227&bih=907

• Reply 57 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Really?

You should let David Kassan and David Hockney know that they are wasting their time on the iPad. I'm sure you are in their class as an artist to make such a comment?

Yes, really.

Hockney's stuff on the iPad is crude and basic and is lauded more because it's by a big name and less because it's objectively good. If you didn't know it was a Hockney, how would you view it? As quality or not as quality?

I looked up Kassan, and it really is nice. If he did this picture of the girl all on an iPad then my hat really is off to him:

http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/david_kassan_ipad_portrait_3.jpg

But my point is that you can produce quicker and better on a full computer with a Cintiq or, as it sounds, on the Surface Pro.

• Reply 58 of 100

You educate yourself.

I checked your link, there is some good stuff there and they totally look great in thumbnails. But look at them full size and you can clearly see the limitations and inefficiencies that you are freed from when using a Cintiq on a full computer. You surely can produce under those limitations but they do limit you.

Finger painting in iOS is really not the best tool for the job. 

• Reply 59 of 100
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

You educate yourself.

I checked your link, there is some good stuff there and they totally look great in thumbnails. But look at them full size and you can clearly see the limitations and inefficiencies that you are freed from when using a Cintiq on a full computer. You surely can produce under those limitations but they do limit you.

Finger painting in iOS is really not the best tool for the job. 

Have you ever seen a real oil painting in your life, a real Van Gogh with rough brush strokes where you need to steps 10 feet away to enjoy the art? Let's say your points about size, limitation and inefficiencies is ridiculous, an 2048 x 2048 px canvas is more than enough for good looking illustration. Art is about creating amazing stuff with anything, and the iPad is a legit and accessible way to express many form of artistic creation. 

• Reply 60 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

Have you ever seen a real oil painting in your life, a real Van Gogh with rough brush strokes where you need to steps 10 feet away to enjoy the art? Let's say your points about size, limitation and inefficiencies is ridiculous, an 2048 x 2048 px canvas is more than enough for good looking illustration. Art is about creating amazing stuff with anything, and the iPad is a legit and accessible way to express many form of artistic creation. 

Yes, I have.

Sure the iPad is a legit way to do it, but it is limited and it sounds like the Surface Pro has the potential to be a better tool for this use.