Apple TV, imagined by Steve Jobs to be Apple's "fourth leg," now becomes its sixth

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39

Apple has a lot to get ready for OS XI is just around the corner and they are to bring the OS and iOS into the same style UI plus Siri plus Maps. Siri alone is quite an undertaking still. 

I would be happy with no other legs (burn the stock, who cares) and gets on with making what they have bullet proof. 

[if Apple would just spend those billions buying back stock and going privet, we could put all this nonsense aside and just create great products] 

• Reply 22 of 39
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    Is there some internal competition for most occurrences of 'leg' or 'stool' in one story? He he he...stool.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    I have been repeating myself on this and other forums. Apple is facing a unique challenge because of its size. The shorting of Apple is only feasible because Apple has so much value tied up in it's stock price, it is becoming increasing harder to get the necessary cash in flows from the stock market to keep inflating the stock price at the same rate. Apple stock makes of 15% of the total value of the entire market! Unless Apple begins to get more aggressive buying back its own stock, it will remain relatively easy and quite profitable to spin any news of slowing in Apple's sales growth as a sign of the company losing it's edge.
  • Reply 24 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

I think that it would be fair to state that 'Nokia (in its day) was/is the pride of Finland'. Why is Apple not the pride of the US? (Notwithstanding the huge pride that many Americans have in the company.) I simply do not understand Apple bashing in the US. Perhaps the attitude stems from the days when a now almost irrelevant software company dominated the local market for computer operating systems and some applications. Now however, the competition is from a foreign conglomerate.

What else do the Finnish have to be proud of? Vodka and Angry Birds

They defeated the overpowering forces of the USSR in World War II.

• Reply 25 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

I think that it would be fair to state that 'Nokia (in its day) was/is the pride of Finland'. Why is Apple not the pride of the US? (Notwithstanding the huge pride that many Americans have in the company.) I simply do not understand Apple bashing in the US. Perhaps the attitude stems from the days when a now almost irrelevant software company dominated the local market for computer operating systems and some applications. Now however, the competition is from a foreign conglomerate.

Apple was always an innovator. It's a testament to the quality of the people at Apple that even it the darkest days, when it was run by clueless folks, it was still able to produce some pretty innovative stuff. Anyway, I think innovation can be hard for people to understand. This combined with some overly greedy days helped to obscure what apple was doing. Then there was recession, the rise of conservatism, anti-intellectualism, and theWalmart ethos, which all worked against Apple. When Steve came back he was way more experience and smarter, plus the underdog thing, but with another big downturn and the associated rise in simple thinking, there's a new wave of anti-Appleism. This time though, more people understand Apple's value proposition, so it's less of a big deal.

But, haters gonna hate!

Sorry, but that!'s a whole lotta' crap!  The goal of any business is to make a profit at the risk of a loss -- assigning sins like "greed" to a corporation have no meaning -- what about "lust" or "sloth".

• Reply 26 of 39
    hftshfts Posts: 386member

Sorry but you are wrong. They lost, as can be deduced by the land grab of Karelia by the USSR. The Finns put up a strong resistance, although one supported by the Nazis.
    You will be surprised to learn that many of the battles on the Eastern front were fought by combined Axis forces.
  • Reply 27 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Sorry but you are wrong. They lost, as can be deduced by the land grab of Karelia by the USSR. The Finns put up a strong resistance, although one supported by the Nazis.

You will be surprised to learn that many of the battles on the Eastern front were fought by combined Axis forces.

I don't believe that it was quite that simple... Finnish patriots held off against superior forces of all nations... While they lost territory, they prevented their country from being overrun and occupied -- like Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia -- then the whole of Eastern Europe.

The "facts" presented in the late 1940s and early 1950s are quite different than today's "facts".

• Reply 28 of 39
    iqatedo wrote: »

I think because the Mac and later the iPhone and iPad were premium products that many people couldn't afford, especially back in the 90s, the general response was a defensive one, contributing to class struggle in which poorer people naturally had to use cheaper computers. That's where the anti-Apple sentiment grew from. It continues today even though you can get an iPhone free, albeit an older model (again, poor people are relegated to older models). I find myself disliking BMWs for the same reason, haha.
  • Reply 29 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

I think because the Mac and later the iPhone and iPad were premium products that many people couldn't afford, especially back in the 90s, the general response was a defensive one, contributing to class struggle in which poorer people naturally had to use cheaper computers. That's where the anti-Apple sentiment grew from. It continues today even though you can get an iPhone free, albeit an older model (again, poor people are relegated to older models). I find myself disliking BMWs for the same reason, haha.

It's the opposite. Apple's products are no longer the premium products they used to be. In fact on a bus, constantly you can find the majority of people there are using Apple products. And I see plenty of 'poor' people owning iPhones/iPads (judging from what they're doing/dressing). 

• Reply 30 of 39
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Once they have the TV worked out properly I hope they take on software again.. It has sort of gotten forgotten about. Apple software isn't as awesome as it could be. Now, with Jony Ive on top, who knows what will happen?
    Apple Software as a whole could be a leg.
  • Reply 31 of 39

Quote:

I'm pretty sure it does, but it's anonymously. Apple wouldn't have approved the app if it did otherwise.

I believe there is an option to opt out of the data collection, you just need to find it in the options.

• Reply 32 of 39
    oomu wrote: »
    "1. Get Eddy Cue to improve Maps and make it the default on Mac OS X and iOS devices."

it is the default on ios.

and I could say, Os X too, with iPhoto for example

iPhoto, just like Aperture, uses Google Maps, not Apple Maps.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

At best it was a pyrrhic victory for the USSR...

• Reply 34 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    A watch would be part of the iPod leg as I see it.
  • Reply 35 of 39

Quote:

I think Apple needs to make a more concerted effort in moving away from all things google.

They have already started with Maps. However this will take time.

In the meanwhile they could improve Siri, so that it interacts much more with iOS.

Ensure Siri does not use google at all.

Buy Wolfram and Yelp, or invest in them.

To me, Siri is central to all things Apple, perhaps in a few years it will have improved to such an extent that would really make it your own personal assistant.

Make the creation of text books much simplier, incorporate "intelligent" templates so those not so inclined in the areas of programming could utilise its best features, those of interactivity.

A question, does the google Maps App on iDevices in any way collect data to feed back to google ?

I agree. Apple should distance itself from Google and Samsung. I think Siri is Apple's answer to Search and the TV remote. Most "computer" tasks I much prefer to do on my iOS device. If I can't do it on my iOS device, I put a lot of effort into researching how I could modify the task to then be able to do it on my iOS devise. E.g., printing (although I do a lot less lately), Taxes, charts, etc.

• Reply 36 of 39
    They need to get into gaming and they already have the pieces in play to do it. Gamecenter for leader boards, App Store for digital distribution/3rd party apps, iTunes for music/video content and airplay to put it all on your tv. If they merged these all into the Apple TV they would have a device that would kill the ouya before it even hit shelves. Hopefully they are working on this.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    It's the opposite. Apple's products are no longer the premium products they used to be. In fact on a bus, constantly you can find the majority of people there are using Apple products. And I see plenty of 'poor' people owning iPhones/iPads (judging from what they're doing/dressing). 

I think you are misusing the word "premium" there. They are still premium products, and your "poorer" people recognize that too, and thus want to use them.

I think you mean Apple's products are no longer the "exclusive" products they used to be. Everbody wants them, and more are getting them. That's ok. They are still premium products.

One of the great things Apple is doing is that they are democratizing high quality.
  • Reply 38 of 39

Sorry but you are wrong. They lost, as can be deduced by the land grab of Karelia by the USSR.

No, the Russians won on paper and nowhere else.

• Reply 39 of 39

Quote:

What else do the Finnish have to be proud of? Vodka and Angry Birds

I'm sure they're proud of their education system, consistently ranked best in the world.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/27/best-education-in-the-wor_n_2199795.html