Former Apple retail chief John Browett now CEO of UK chain

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    At least he got to put Apple on his resume.
  • Reply 22 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

By how?  Trying to take a (possible) money-making store and cutting customer service and ruining employee morale?  Is that how?  If so, I give him 12-18 months.

and a smart company would realize this sooner and fire him in 6 months

• Reply 23 of 33
    dmarcoot wrote: »
    how is it Ahole's like this always manage to move foward even as eff-up everything they touch?

It's not what you know, it's about who you know.
    At least he got to put Apple on his resume.

For 6 months. That will be viewed as a job-hopper - not a good thing.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Mock Browett all you want, but the guy MUST have some merit and some skills if he keeps getting hired by massive companies as a CEO- and so soon after being let go.  There's a shitload of qualified people out there, so I'm assuming he must bring something to the table. 

Qualified and experienced people? The pool is smaller than you'd think.

• Reply 25 of 33
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Complete bullshit. I've been to 4 different Apple store this past month in different cities, and they've all been as busy as I've ever seen them. But hey, noone said that facts are required to troll. 

Wow, so you've visited 1.013% of Apple's 395 worldwide stores in 1 month and, without any actual visitor numbers, just your own vague sense that they are busier than you've known them before, that gives you enough evidence to call someone else out on a BS statement? Amazing.

But hey, no-one said that facts are required to troll.

• Reply 26 of 33

Quote:

I don't know how old you are, but really?  You are wondering about this fundamental truism of life?  It's kind of the law of the jungle in most corporations.  Why do you think Dilbert exists as all?

Not a truism of life; a truism of capitalism which is explicit about its self-interested incentives that amplify and promote avarice, while doing everything to eliminate any check on this unintended but very real side effect.

This is motivating the manipulation of AAPL, which is consistent with YouTube footage of Jim Cramer advising influential people to lie to move market prices in their favor.  Strict, short sighted self interest says this is the right thing to do.  And even if it didn't, those who do will "win".

There's something about Apple that rubs this hard right Libertarianism the wrong way (you hear it in all of the resentment expressed over "walled gardens" as a principle, etc).  Apple is not primarily motivated by self interest and a desire to accumulate wealth, even if it is forced to operate under that paradigm because we live under capitalism.  Apple is motivated by people who are passionate about excellence in the user experience of technology.  When that ceases to be the case, then Apple will be governed by the same determinants as its unremarkable (and parasitic, when you think about the importance of rapid technical progress) "competitors".

For these reasons, absolutist competitive capitalists will always (subconsciously) bristle at Apple and its culture, and fail to understand why it is successful.  And thoughtful people who recognize in Apple's products its higher motivation will have a gut feeling they are arguing with sociopathic sophists when they have to defend it.

• Reply 27 of 33
    drowdrow Posts: 126member

long may he rot there.

• Reply 28 of 33

You know how he got this job, he lied, he probable told them he was set up for failure. The conversation with the new company went something like this...

"Apple told me cut costs and I did as they asked and when the out come was not what Apple wanted they fired me publicly as to remove themselves from the blame"

This new company bought it hook line and sinker and hired him since they feel bad how Apple treated him.

In reality this this guy was was brought in to grow the retail earnings. However, he had no clue how to grow anything including a plants he began cutting everywhere to in hopes to drive up margins and Cook would be happy with his pruning job on the apple tree of money.

• Reply 29 of 33

Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Wow, so you've visited 1.013% of Apple's 395 worldwide stores in 1 month and, without any actual visitor numbers, just your own vague sense that they are busier than you've known them before, that gives you enough evidence to call someone else out on a BS statement? Amazing.

You saw this, yes?

• Reply 30 of 33
    @drobforever they need to have more guys dedicated to customer support. Right now, it's a scandal to be under AppleCare, have your machine useless due to whatever, and be told "you can have a meeting with a Genius in three weeks". What the Hell, Apple, step your game up!
  • Reply 31 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

If their service is not top notch and they lose a customer, they never get them back. Just look at Circuit City, Comp USA, and now Best Buy.

This ^

I was several times in Paris' Apple Stores (three of them) and service was dismal, due to massive amounts of people, and insufficient salesmen/Geniuses.

I'm not alone to have had issues, and several of these people bought non-Apple hardware due to "DELL's service, at least, is stellar". YMMV, but fact is they left and are not coming back any time soon...

• Reply 32 of 33
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Well, that's more than you, who just pulled the "fact" that Apple stores are seeing less visitors right out of your ass. Oh, there's also the hard data, numbers, stats that show in no uncertain terms that visitors to Apple stores are increasing. Again, just go troll somewhere else- the lies you spout are neither original or entertaining. 

• Reply 33 of 33
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Can anyone overlay the number of Apple stores each year on top of that graphic?   More visitors doesn't tell us anything without knowing how many more stores there were.  (I'm sure it's gone up in any case.)

Interestingly, in the US, phone carriers and large retailers compete a lot with Apple stores:

Quote:

"Apple sold just 21 percent of iPhones purchased between December 2011 and August 2012, according to a study by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP). Indeed, AT&T outlets sold 28 percent and Verizon sold 26 percent of iPhones. Sprint recently said it sold more iPhones than Apple Stores."

"As for iPads, Best Buy and Amazon combined sold nearly as many as Apple’s 250 US stores.

"Mac sales was the only segment Apple Stores dominate, selling 47 percent of computers during the period, according to CIRP figures. Retail giant Best Buy was the next closest, selling 27 percent.

"It’s easy to forget Apple has relatively few retail stores."

- Majority of iPhone sales NOT from Apple stores