Apple's Sir Jony Ive gets top CBBC accolade, gives a peek into Apple's design facilities

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    What's up with the video link? I've only got a blank space on my iPad. You aren't going to make me go over to my iMac are you? That's so not post-PC!
    poke wrote: »
    I think this is the most candid I've ever seen him. It gives a strong insight into why he isn't (and probably never will be) CEO and doesn't participate in live presentations. Just very earnest and shy. You can see why him and Forstall didn't get along at all. Very different personalities.

Well said, and i'm glad to see someone else state this very obvious point. You don't put the artist in front of a crowd or make him do PR or business things. Jony Ive as CEO is one of the more clueless things said around here.
  • Reply 22 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus View Post

Man Jony, you let yourself go. :P

Not that I'm complaining, he looks happier than he did in his muscle-building days. And dare I say more jolly?

Yep, I noticed that, too. A little "pobsey!" And happy! :)

• Reply 23 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Aluminium. Now, that's the way to pronounce it.... ;-)

Second that. Lovely video and great honour. 

• Reply 24 of 52
    "The show introduced the Blue Peter badge in 1963, and since then has given out about 1,000 of them."

Not quite...since then they've given out about 1000 *gold* badges, but everyone who appears on the programme gets a regular Blue Peter badge. (And there are a few other types, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Peter_badge#The_types_of_Blue_Peter_badge)
  • Reply 25 of 52
    Now he can show everyone his Blue Peter........badge.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Any show (or person) that encourages kids to design things is terrific and I have nothing but respect for Ive, but really...the headline above has the same tone as if Ive had won the Nobel Prize. Any TV show can offer any award to anyone as an excuse to get them on the show. Besides, it was pretty apparent to me that Ive knew he was getting that award, otherwise why would he have made the aluminum "badge" for them?

Anyone else find it strange that there didn't seem to be another soul in that facility?

Sounds like a great show for kids. Why doesn't Children's Television Workshop do a U.S. version?
  • Reply 27 of 52
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    he's slouching! I am trying not to slouch from programming.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Any show (or person) that encourages kids to design things is terrific and I have nothing but respect for Ive, but really...the headline above has the same tone as if Ive had won the Nobel Prize. Any TV show can offer any award to anyone as an excuse to get them on the show. Besides, it was pretty apparent to me that Ive knew he was getting that award, otherwise why would he have made the aluminum "badge" for them?

Anyone else find it strange that there didn't seem to be another soul in that facility?

Sounds like a great show for kids. Why doesn't Children's Television Workshop do a U.S. version?

My guess is in order for the BBC to get this exclusive with Ive they had to explain what it was for.  Regardless there are plenty of awards where people are notified ahead of time that they're receiving it.  Like knighthoods.  The recipient is notified ahead of time because of the chance someone might turn it down.

I didn't find it strange that no one else was around...I'm actually surprised Apple allowed the BBC to film there in the first place.

• Reply 29 of 52
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    isteelers wrote: »
    Now he can show everyone his Blue Peter........badge.

It would look quite fetching with a matching pair of blue..........shoes.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    It looks like this meant a lot to him, never mind that he was prepared for it.

The nonexistent video link on the iPad, really a blank space, is new to me. It looks like AI just leaves a hole rather than display the 'broken Flash' symbol.

[B]Any way, the cause is that the BBC is still using Flash[/B], bless 'em. I've sent complaints before to them, but I forget what their reasoning is. It was a long time ago.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    This is proof that Apple hires children¡ Not just for their factories but now Ive is stealing their designs¡
  • Reply 32 of 52
    flaneur wrote: »
    The nonexistent video link on the iPad, really a blank space, is new to me. It looks like AI just leaves a hole rather than display the 'broken Flash' symbol.

I'm under the impression that is something Apple changed, and I thought they did it after the iPad demo showed a broken flash symbol back in 2010 and people complained that it wasn't showing the full web.
  • Reply 33 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is proof that Apple hires children¡ Not just for their factories but now Ive is stealing their designs¡

That made me laugh - nice one!

• Reply 34 of 52
    Watch out little girl, Samsung will steal that idea.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Where the hell is the link to this video?
  • Reply 36 of 52
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    evilution wrote:
    As small and silly as the badge is, he is genuinely choked to get it and loses the English stiff upper lip.

It seemed more like one of those moments when someone gives you something really cheap but presents it as something meaningful and you have to exaggerate your enthusiasm for it, made especially worse when there's a TV camera filming you for a kid's TV show.

Nice video though and he's clearly a really nice guy. It always looks so lonely in his workshop. I know there were reports saying some of his rooms are off-limits but I hope they don't just lock the poor guy in with a milling machine all by himself.

They must also have a fair amount of milling machines if it takes 10 hours per part.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    slurpy wrote: »

The video is embedded on the main AI page but not in the forum page.
  • Reply 38 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckalec View Post

BBC icon on Apple TV - yes please

Agreed. Having had an Apple icon on BBC TV it only seems fair that we also have a BBC icon on Apple TV.

• Reply 39 of 52
    solipsismx wrote: »
    slurpy wrote: »

The video is embedded on the main AI page but not in the forum page.

I'll never understand that. Why would an article on the main page differ from the thread? Why is the article thread post #1? Why is the author's name not visible in the thread? Why are all thread started by Kaspers' slave? (Slavery is still in effect, no need to mock it IMO)

/rant, but I just don't go www.appleinsider.com and many like me miss out these embedded video's. I have posted this on the Feedback page and TS is going to put it through to Huddler, so just maybe....
  • Reply 40 of 52
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Aluminium. Now, that's the way to pronounce it.... ;-)

What a GREAT video. The guy's all class. (The kid's impressive too, as are the little designers).

He is very classy isn't he? Love the guy. Re that word ... It's the spelling ... Remember in the USA they spell it 'aluminum' so naturally they say it that way. :) Not sure on this one but we probably have to blame that Scotsman Carnegie and his simplification of English project at the beginning of the previous century.