iMac DV won't boot from CD

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I did a clean install of OS 9.2.1 from a CD on my iMac DV 400. It started acting badly (frequent crashing and modem won't work), so I want to go back to OS 9.0.

But now the iMac won't boot from CDs when I start up while pressing the "C" key. It either freezes while starting up--with a "bus error" and a prompt to Restart--or freezes while starting up with no prompt at all.

This happens with the "Software Install" and "Software Restore" CDs (OS 9.0) that came with the iMac, as well as a full-version OS 9.0 CD.

Do I have to take this in for repair now?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by josephg:

<strong>I did a clean install of OS 9.2.1 from a CD on my iMac DV 400. It started acting badly (frequent crashing and modem won't work), so I want to go back to OS 9.0.

But now the iMac won't boot from CDs when I start up while pressing the "C" key. It either freezes while starting up--with a "bus error" and a prompt to Restart--or freezes while starting up with no prompt at all.

This happens with the "Software Install" and "Software Restore" CDs (OS 9.0) that came with the iMac, as well as a full-version OS 9.0 CD.

Do I have to take this in for repair now?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Try the following in the following order:

--Zap your PRAM as you boot. To do this, as soon as you turn the machine on (when you hear the chime) hold down Command-Option-P-R (thats 4 keys) and hold them down until you hear the chime again. If you want to be really sure it's zapped, keep the keys held down and zap it a few more times (4 is more than enough)

--If it STILL won't boot, reset Open Firmware. TO do this, Boot the machine into Open Firmware by holding down Command-Option-O-F (again 4 keys) as soon as it turns on. When you see the Open Firmware prompt, let go. Type the following:

reset-nvram (hit return, it should say ok)

Then type

set-defaults (again, hit return, should ok)

Then finally type

reset-all (hit return)

And the machine should restart. Do not make any typos in these commands. They are very important.

--Try booting the machine again. If it STILL won't go, find your Apple Hardware Test CD that came with the machine, and boot the Mac off of it (by holding down c key) and run its extended tests. If it finds any problems or if you have issues booting the hardware CD, then yes, contact your nearest Apple Service dealer.

Or contact me (private message please) with any further questions.

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: The All Knowing 1 ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 7
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    I tried resetting PRAM (4 chimes), and the Open Firmware suggestion. Still no dice. I don't seem to have the Hardware Check CD anymore (I doubt I could boot from it anyway).

Any other ideas, anyone?

Thanks,

J
  • Reply 3 of 7
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member

<strong>

Any other ideas, anyone?</strong><hr></blockquote>

When you boot from the hard drive can you get a CD to mount?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    AllinOne,

Yes, the CDs mount fine. I just can't boot from them.
  • Reply 5 of 7

<strong>AllinOne,

Yes, the CDs mount fine. I just can't boot from them.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you have any external drives (Firewire, etc) lying around you could try booting off those (hold down option on power-up) but if not (and assuming it wouldn't work) I would call your local Apple service tech and schedule an appointment. It could be serious, it could be minor. But those are all my tricks without being at the machine personally.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Thanks for the advice.

After reading some of the other Genius Bar threads, I realized bad RAM can cause funkiness, so on a whim, I tried removing the memory chips one at a time (I have two 128MB chips).

EUREKA! Upon removing the second chip, everything is smooth sailing (starts up fine, no freezing). I'm willing to go without that chip in exchange for a functioning computer.

But you solve one problem and (potentially) uncover another:

I noticed something upon opening the hatch for the RAM slots. There's this black-coated wire with a copper and steel (?) tip just hanging open ended. What is this, and is it OK that this end isn't connected to anything? (see pictures)

...I also have another problem with the modem (hopefully only a software configuration issue) for which I've started

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=001149"; target="_blank">another thread...</a>
  • Reply 7 of 7
    OK, never mind, I found a PDF manual.

It's simply the AirPort antenna. That's a relief.