Leaked images supposedly show off parts of a Retina iPad mini

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    ufwaufwa Posts: 64member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How is AppleInsider still can't figure out that the iPhone has a 326 PPI display, not a 324 PPI display? This has been common knowledge in the tech world since 2010.

Maybe they want colors on the iPad mini like on the iPod Nano in comparison to the iPod Classic which means the back logos and the front edge? I don't think that's the most likely scenario just to see how it could fit if this is authentic.

Unless it got edited is says the ipad mini not iphone. assume the mini gets the same resolution as retina ipad it would work out to be 324 ppi.

• Reply 22 of 64
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

But how much thicker is still acceptable? How much heavier is still acceptable? These are important considerations with handheld devices, and with the iPad mini in particular. I think the thickness is currently low enough that adding a little bit won't be an issue but weight is less forgiving. Hopefully they won't have to increase the battery by 70% (or more) to make the ASIC push 2048x1536 pixels to the display and still last 10 hours.

It doesn't matter, why even question it?  I mean- there's no way it is even possible for the mini to be Retina this year.  You've said so yourself 400 times even though others mentioned it could.  We'll know in a few months if you've been dead wrong or not.

• Reply 23 of 64
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm not feeling that blue Apple logo at all, if this is for real. I much prefer my all stealth black iPad Mini.

It also looks a bit chubbier, which is to be expected if it is indeed retina. Expect it to also be slightly heavier, have slightly worse battery life and also to get a bit warmer when using it.

For sure.  But a tiny amount of thickness and weight to get Retina is fine by me.  I would assume battery life would stay the same (although real world usage might drop slightly).  But yes... for sure it'll get warmer.  I've actually noticed my iPhone 5 generates a decent amount more heat than my 4S just using the aluminum (which is to be expected) and being thinner.

• Reply 24 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

"Retina" will trump a few mm rather easily.

OTOH that would seem to diminish the odds that the display tech would be IGZO as the potential power savings from that display type would have allowed a similar battery size from what I've read.

I don't know if IGZO will indeed be used or not. But I'd say this: A larger battery (or one with higher power density) is still needed even if the display is much more power-efficient. The necessary boost in processor and memory will also demand more juice.

• Reply 25 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

For sure.  But a tiny amount of thickness and weight to get Retina is fine by me.  I would assume battery life would stay the same (although real world usage might drop slightly).  But yes... for sure it'll get warmer.  I've actually noticed my iPhone 5 generates a decent amount more heat than my 4S just using the aluminum (which is to be expected) and being thinner.

I'm basing my battery life estimate on my experience from going from iPad 2 to iPad 3. It's not a huge difference, but there is a difference, and the iPad 2 lasted slightly longer for me than when doing the same tasks on the iPad 3.

• Reply 26 of 64

Had the Mini since November...  Love it...

No problem with the screen resolution....(Maybe my eyes are just too bad for the retina display to be a big deal to me...)

No problem reading it with my bi-focal glasses or bifocal contacts or no glasses/contact at all....

A retina would be nice and an extra mm would be no big deal, but the extra weight could be an issue......

I would be more interested in an A6x in the Mini more than the retina display....

The light weight and compact size are why I greatly prefer the mini over the full iPad....

• Reply 27 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sranger View Post

The light weight and compact size are why I greatly prefer the mini over the full iPad....

I agree. I'm actually posting this from my toilet, and I had a choice of either bringing my ipad 3, to accompany me into the bathroom, or an ipad mini, and i chose the mini. I still like my ipad 3 a lot, i just dont like to carry it around or hold it in my hands when using it, compared to the mini.

• Reply 28 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ufwa wrote: »
    Unless it got edited is says the ipad mini not iphone. assume the mini gets the same resolution as retina ipad it would work out to be 324 ppi.

You think the 9.7" iPad is only 2 PPI less than the iPhone? It's 264 PPI which is double the original 132 PPI for the iPad. The IPad mini is 163 PPI which is the same as the original iPhone which was doubled to 326 PPI when they doubled the resolution. See how that works? Apple deliberately choose 7.85" for the iPad mini because it means they can use the 163 PPI display knowledge and tech they at least have lots of experience with and likely the equipment they already own. There is also no history of Apple making a non-Retina display Retina and not doubling the resolution which is also doubling the PPI which is 4x the number of pixels it had previously. I see absolutely no reason to expect Apple to go wonky the next time.

andysol wrote: »
    It doesn't matter, why even question it?  I mean- there's no way it is even possible for the mini to be Retina this year.  You've said so yourself 400 times even though others mentioned it could.  We'll know in a few months if you've been dead wrong or not.

Dead wrong about what? Why question what? Why isn't possible again?

I've stated many times that I don't think it will come this year because they started with an ASIC that is a generation behind and I think that it will at least need to include the Rogue 6 GPU which isn't even out yet. That should arrive this Summer and therefore make that aspect possible, albeit unlikely if Apple follows their current trend. In no way have I ever said it was impossible and have also stated many times that I hope it does happen this year.

Perhaps the success of the initial launch combined with the Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7 et al. competitors means that's it's in Apple's best interests to make this happen ASAP even at a lose of profit margin. That would be atypical for Apple but it's not impossible.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    I doubt it.. it's a fake.. blue logo, thicker, and there are other rumors that claim a different screen tech that would not require the power, so would not require a thicker unit.

My guess.. made a mock up based on what happened with iPad 3 Retina.. I mean.. common people, CNC machines these days... hell, a stand alone crafters edition can be had for around 2k or less.. depends on attachments, software, etc..

Or college kid with access to workshop CNC machine in lab..

Someones having fun.. and everyone's eating it up..
  • Reply 30 of 64
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Why would Apple make the text and logo blue? Fake.

I originally thought it might be a protective layer of plastic, but the color isn't right for what I usually see used for protecting materials, and usually there is some wrinkling, distortion and "fraying" at the edges.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    adrayven wrote: »
    I doubt it.. it's a fake.. blue logo, thicker, and there are other rumors that claim a different screen tech that would not require the power, so would not require a thicker unit.

My guess.. made a mock up based on what happened with iPad 3 Retina.. I mean.. common people, CNC machines these days... hell, a stand alone crafters edition can be had for around 2k or less.. depends on attachments, software, etc..

Or college kid with access to workshop CNC machine in lab..

Someones having fun.. and everyone's eating it up..

Being a mock up doesn't mean it's fake, and why would someone make a mockup to fool people but then make it thicker and use a colour that screams fake?
  • Reply 31 of 64
    [I][SIZE=0]Damn you Huddler![/SIZE][/I]
  • Reply 33 of 64

Damn you Huddler!

What'd it do this time? Oh, just a double post?

• Reply 34 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why would Apple make the text and logo blue? Fake.

That would be a lot of hours of programming/machining and surface conditioning to simply make a fake....  Not to mention designing the tooling to hold the blank at all of the angle necessary to machine it.....

Possible, but unlikely....

• Reply 35 of 64
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Being a mock up doesn't mean it's fake, and why would someone make a mockup to fool people but then make it thicker and use a colour that screams fake?

If it's a prototype, I don't see why, because Apple's prototype shop is in Cupertino.

The finish doesn't look to me like what students would produce either. If that's a student's work, I'd sure like to hire him/her.
  • Reply 36 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Thicker?

Not interested

No need to share your disinterest. That way, we all save some time.

I agree. Stop wasting our time.

(also; Thicker? Not interested)

• Reply 37 of 64
    They've not yet been cut out, is all.

The retina iPads were thicker. Plenty of people remained interested in them. The mini would still be thinner than the iPad, wouldn't it?
    Not if they finally thin the full size more.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    neilmneilm Posts: 995member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I agree. I'm actually posting this from my toilet, and I had a choice of either bringing my ipad 3, to accompany me into the bathroom, or an ipad mini, and i chose the mini. I still like my ipad 3 a lot, i just dont like to carry it around or hold it in my hands when using it, compared to the mini.

TMI. Waaaay TMI.

• Reply 39 of 64
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I don't know if IGZO will indeed be used or not. But I'd say this: A larger battery (or one with higher power density) is still needed even if the display is much more power-efficient. The necessary boost in processor and memory will also demand more juice.

Good point, those would be upped as well wouldn't they? Both out of necessity and competition. But, OTOH, the power savings from the IGZO might leave the overhead necessary for the other components increased demands: so it stays the same rather than getting slimmer and lighter....

• Reply 40 of 64
    I still prefer my iPad 2 over my iPad 3. Yes the retina screen is nice, but less interesting to an old chap like me with glasses. I prefer the iPad 2 because its thinner and has better battery life.

Getting thicker and heavier with a shorter battery life is a backward step for me. I prefer mobility over pixels that I can't see unless I look for them.