F-Keys and other OS X Key combos.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just upgraded to OS X last weekend. Still learning the ropes. How do you assign the F-Keys to launch stuff? Also what are the 'handy' key shortcuts everyone uses frequently. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jregojrego Posts: 56member
    Glad you decided to switch to X. I haven't tried assigning F keys, but I do have some tips regarding the dock. Control clicking on the divider brings up a settings menu, option clicking and dragging resizes snapping to certain presets (probably multiples of 16, but I've forgotten). If you command click on an icon in the dock, a Finder window will open with the folder containing it. If you hold down command-option and drag something to an icon in the dock, that application will be forced to open it (or try, at any rate).

Another thing to be careful of is that now in the Finder, command-N brings up a new finder window, command-shift-N makes a new folder. That threw me off for a while.

That's what comes to mind from my experience. I'm sure others can add to it.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thanks for those handy commands. I picked up a few. Command "L" will make an alias now (not Command M) and control clicking a program in the dock gives me the ability to force quit it. Others? Anyone have luck with those Fkeys yet?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    brdocbrdoc Posts: 31member
    As far as I know, there is no "F" key support in OS X. I think that I read somewhere that there is going to be in 10.2. Anyways, my favorite shortcut is command(apple) option A, which opens the Applications folder. I also like shift command Q, which logs you out.