Help - trash won't empty

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've sent an application folder to the trash and now one of the folders won't empty out of the trash. When I try to empty trash, its says that the files are locked.

What do i do? It's annoying to see my trash can full all the time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to Genius Bar...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    download this: <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=12057&db=mac"; target="_blank">Batchmod</a>. Run the program, right click and pick empty trash. Great little utility to have. HTH

edit: wow! 7 minutes and you got your question answered. that must be some type of a genius bar record!

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: torifile ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 10
    okay, i took care of the problem, but now theres still a folder in my trash named "temporary items" that i dont remember putting there that wont go away because "i do not have sufficient priviliges for 'O' "

Im the admin and only user. (btw, using os 10.1.5)
  • Reply 4 of 10
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    You can always try moving it from the OSX trash to your hard drive, booting into OS9 and putting it into the OS9 trash.

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 10
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    you could hit Terminal and have some unix fun. If you type in "cd ~/.trash" and hit enter, you'll be inside your trash can. Now, if you type "rm -rf *" and hit enter, it will attempt to remove (delete) everything from that folder (-r means recursive, and the `f' means force it). If it gives you permission troubles again, you can insted try this: "sudo rm -rf *" and enter. It will ask for the super-user (root) password. I'm not sure if any admin password will work, or if you have to use root's password. If you can't remember root's pass, you can restart off a osx cd, and change it.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Too long and very dangerous in response to the two previous suggestions.

Just use that program and you're problems will go out with the trash.

-t
  • Reply 7 of 10
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>Too long and very dangerous in response to the two previous suggestions.

Just use that program and you're problems will go out with the trash.</strong><hr></blockquote>

the program didn't work well enough. it left an unremovable folder. using the command line is very quick (assuming you know the super-user password), simple and isn't more dangerous than using the Finder's trash can.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    I think I might have missed something here. I'm assuming you've tried unchecking the locked box under "Show info" for these files?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    it isnt checked.

ive noticed something though: when i look in show info, at "Where" it says "Trash on" and then writes the name of the second partition on my HD.

I have 10.0.4 installed on that second partition because once i couldnt boot into 10.1.5 so i installed and booted on 10.0.4 on the second partition to fix the problem on 10.1.5.

BTW, i cant download that app and terminal doesnt work. havent tried os 9 yet, should i?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    it isnt checked.

ive noticed something though: when i look in show info, at "Where" it says "Trash on" and then writes the name of the second partition on my HD.

I have 10.0.4 installed on that second partition because once i couldnt boot into 10.1.5 so i installed and booted on 10.0.4 on the second partition to fix the problem on 10.1.5.

BTW, i cant download that app and terminal doesnt work. havent tried os 9 yet, should i?