Rumor: Apple to ship 'iPhone 5S' and more affordable iPhone in August 2013

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    bigpics wrote: »

Three letters:  L.T.E.

If we're talking about a cheap phone for financially weaker markets then LTE doesn't seem likely to me; at least not at first. Much of those markets simply don't have LTE established in any significant way to make that additional cost per handset a viable option right now.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Well, it's a good thing the rumor didn't say "a completely redesigned iPhone 6" or the stock would be down 4%.

Don't be silly. 6 doesn't come after 5.

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

iPhone 4: $299

iPhone 4S: $399

iPhone 5: $549

iPhone 5S: $649

Do you really want Apple to have to gimp iOS 8 for the sake of the iPhone 4's pathetic hardware?

• Reply 23 of 34
    Do you really want Apple to have to gimp iOS 8 for the sake of the iPhone 4's pathetic hardware?

One could argue that Apple doesn't have to sell the older iPhone and give it any updates, as this is overwhelmingly common with Android, but so far there is no precedence from Apple to support that idea.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    i think these analysts are spreading these rumors to slow down iphone sales in the june qtr to "prove" the iphone5 sales are slowing down.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    I don't think they will call it the 5S, it's too predictable. Call it the 5C and give it some color options.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member

No way to confirm. Still to early. 

• Reply 27 of 34
    A sub $400 phone would be nice. But I doubt that will happen. If Apple does do this i would personally hope it's the same screen size as the 4s. I for one am not a fan of the larger screens. Gonna hold out an upgrade to see if they come out with a better performance phone with the 4/4s screen size. Rumors rumors!
  • Reply 28 of 34
    quest01 wrote: »
    I don't think there's a point in making a cheaper iPhone out of plastic when they can just use previous gen iphones for emerging markets. Going cheaper for cheaps sake is not the solution. Now I'm really looking forward to the upcoming rumored iPhone 6 with the 5 inch screen.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but it sounds like you are saying the cheaper phones would be for emerging markets. If so, what about a cheaper option for the US market? There is a large part of our own market that can't afford an iPhone. As for Apple, the thought is probably higher margins and larger profits.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by WmL44039 View Post

If so, what about a cheaper option for the US market? There is a large part of our own market that can't afford an iPhone.

Who the frick is that? No, seriously, there are teenagers on welfare who have iPhones. There's no one in the US who can't actually afford one if they're so inclined. The goodness of the inclination is all that matters.

• Reply 30 of 34
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    First there were 4.3" Screen, Now they talked about 4.5". Then the cheaper iPhone.

I mean analyst putting BS out and drive stock price down, how is that even*(&^!@ legal.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

>blackbook 2013/03/01 09:34am
    >The 4 is still far better than most low end smartphone.

Yes I'm very happy with my iPhone 4. At the end of my contract it will be sad to move to 5 or 6.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    ksec wrote: »
    First there were 4.3" Screen, Now they talked about 4.5". Then the cheaper iPhone.

I mean analyst putting BS out and drive stock price down, how is that even*(&^!@ legal.

They predict like playing roulette. They put chips down to cover nearly the entire board then jump up and down when they are proved accurate by reducing the odds of being wring to nearly zero.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

Well, it's a good thing the rumor didn't say "a completely redesigned iPhone 6" or the stock would be down 4%.

Right ... Or that all other phone makers had closed down and Microsoft and Google were throwing in the towel, AAPL would tank on the news as Wall Street would say Apple would be overwhelmed. :no:
  • Reply 34 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    They predict like playing roulette. They put chips down to cover nearly the entire board then jump up and down when they are proved accurate by reducing the odds of being wring to nearly zero.

You've been peaking at the lesson notes from the online 'Idiots guide to being an analyst' used by 99% of them, haven't you? :D