No SimCity for Mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I thought SimCity was supposed to launch today, Tuesday March 5th, simultaneously for both MacOS X and Windows?

I've downloaded Origin for Mac but SimCity is not available. Anyone know what's up? They were doing so good with simultaneous releases for the Sims 3 so this is very disappointing to lose support with such a key title ;(

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member

I read the launch has been a pretty big disaster as the "always on" internet connection requirement, even for single player games, has resulted in people being unable to play or losing game progress because of server outages on EA's end.

• Reply 2 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    flounder wrote: »
    I read the launch has been a pretty big disaster as the "always on" internet connection requirement, even for single player games, has resulted in people being unable to play or losing game progress because of server outages on EA's end.

The Amazon reviews don't look pretty:

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-41018ted-Edition2-SimCity/dp/B007VTVRFA

Over 1,000 1/5 ratings.

Looks quite good visually:

[VIDEO]

but the DRM is obviously doing more harm than good. The Mac version is delayed to make a native version - maybe they'll avoid the DRM:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/15786/20130306/simcity-mac-release-date-full-native-version.htm
  • Reply 3 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

But again, what do you expect from EA? They destroy the companies they purchase, and by extension the franchises created by those companies (EA never had any meaningful franchises of their own).

I'm quite sad that Maxis ended up in the hands of someone else. SimCity was a spectacular series, as were most of all of the other Sim-[thing] games. But now they're simply corporate whoring, paid DLC, and beyond draconian DRM. Games are rushed, destroyed, and dumbed-down for what is called the "casual gaming" market, with no regard to their actual possibilities.

SimCity 3000 was my last real experience with the SimCity franchise, and I played some CitiesXL2011/2/3 while waiting for the newest SimCity (CitiesXL is an okay game, at least), but…

Is there a demo of this new SimCity one could try?

• Reply 4 of 11
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

So sad to see.  

I spent too many hours playing the original SC back in university.  Updated a few times and then as my Macs moved on I lost the ability to play.

When I first saw the new version, it looked great and I thought I might be able to test some city ideas in a perfect world.

Full time net connection?  Always influenced by other players online who may intentionally ruin their cities and thereby negatively influence yours?  I want to play the game with complete control.

I'll pass.

• Reply 5 of 11
    yazolightyazolight Posts: 118member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The Amazon reviews don't look pretty:

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-41018ted-Edition2-SimCity/dp/B007VTVRFA

Over 1,000 1/5 ratings.

Looks quite good visually:

but the DRM is obviously doing more harm than good. The Mac version is delayed to make a native version - maybe they'll avoid the DRM:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/15786/20130306/simcity-mac-release-date-full-native-version.htm

One thousand one star rating. But look at the 5 stars rating. They are just hilarious!

• Reply 6 of 11
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yazolight View Post

One thousand one star rating. But look at the 5 stars rating. They are just hilarious!

Yes, yes they are! I only browsed maybe the first half-dozen, but pretty funny to not be able to find an actual positive review.

• Reply 7 of 11

Amazon has actually halted sales of SimCity because of this, I think. Poor original Maxis team…

• Reply 8 of 11
    yazolightyazolight Posts: 118member

Oh really? Seems to me that I can still buy it...

Edit: 

• Downloading: Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the United States and who have a U.S. billing address.

• Ok you were right. European consumer can still get screwed though!

• Reply 9 of 11
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    It is coming to the Mac as a native port. Supposedly beta testing is in April. So that makes May or June release.
  • Reply 10 of 11

Only reason why is because you have to be connected to the servers inorder to play and the servers crashed when it released. 

• Reply 11 of 11

Originally Posted by PhantomKick View Post

…you have to be connected to the servers in order to play…

The problem with that is that you don't. Their DRM demands it, but absolutely no processing is done on the server side (which is contrary to the explicit claims of EA and Maxis). And the game only calls out for the check every ten minutes in the first place. 

So the servers being down rendered play impossible for everyone, despite the servers not even being needed to play the game. It's hilarious, sad, and wholly unacceptable.