Samsung challenges Apple's iPhone with new Galaxy S4

Comments

• Reply 221 of 314
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

The processors Samsung are using incorporates ARM's  big.LITTLE tech, in that they have variable A15 cores and variable A7 cores.  Does this mean you don't think ARM are correct in the power saving potential they claim?

Fixed that for you, seems you left out the quad core model.

• Reply 222 of 314
    rsdofnyrsdofny Posts: 98member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Uh, no, Samsung sets a new standard in presentation idiodicy and absurdity. Go back and read impressions, on any website, from the S3 presentations. All bloggers said it was pretty much the weirdest, most confusing, and most random presentation they've ever seen. It has absolutely nothing in common with an Apple presentation, for example, which tends to be very clear, serious,  to the point, and gimmick free. 

This is what not to do in a product introduction.  Does innovation means "over the top"?  First, it is completely not necessary to have a Korean exec to talk so long in the intro.  No one understands him.  The rest of the presentation is extremely confusing and hard to follow.  No question, Steve Jobs was the best.   

• Reply 223 of 314
    rsdofnyrsdofny Posts: 98member

I am sure that Samsung will have ad blitz on each and every new feature for the next 45 days.

• Reply 224 of 314
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Fixed that for you, seems you left out the quad core model.

You fixed nothing, though your ego is obviously telling you you did.  The OP referenced 8 cores, I referenced 8 cores.  I left out the quad core for a reason - it wasn't the model under discussion.

• Reply 225 of 314
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

This is fact, do not ask for citations, you get none for me as you are obnoxious

Eh, this doesn't fly. First, your premise doesn't prove your accusations. Second, this isn't how Google's self-owned targeted ads work in the first place.

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Is this phenomenon a result of insecurity issues or a coordinated effort?

When you see the same posts across said sites, it's coordinated.

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

So logically, if there are any paid trolls here at all the most sensible explanation for that is that AI is paying them.

Uh oh. That's funny.

Because I recall the same answer from someone during my time at MacRumors.

• Reply 226 of 314
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I wonder for example if you use the CNN or pulse news app for example would that get counted in the statistics as an iOS or Android device in these surveys for browsing the web. 

I doubt it as the companies that offer statistics are by in large using a script that reads the user agent of the browser. When an app accesses data they usually use some sort of REST, AJAX, SOAP type of web service. It is possible to use Webkit inside of an app so in that case maybe, but it all depends on the web page that is being accessed which either has a script or the statistics are being compiled from server logs. I don't think anyone has really put their finger on the reason for the disparity between iOS and Android but the biggest websites aren't telling the general public anything, so we don't know how many people are accessing Google, Yahoo, Amazon, MSN, etc.

• Reply 227 of 314
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Samsung challenges Apple's (half a year old) iPhone with new Galaxy S4

• Reply 228 of 314
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

The articles I've browsed so far generally indicate that Apple will take a hit from the S4 and/or Samsung, at least in the near term. That includes comments from Munster and Misek, and opinion pieces at Barrons and Fortune.

• Reply 229 of 314
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The articles I've browsed so far generally indicate that Apple will take a hit from the S4 and/or Samsung, at least in the near term. That includes comments from Munster and Misek, and opinion pieces at Barrons and Fortune.

Correlation does not equal cause.  If someone switches from iPhone to Samsung, odds are they could have just as easily switched to any other Android brand.  If people want to stay with Apple they will, and likewise for Android.  

It's pretty well known that Apple sales peak during the holidays, and Android does relatively better earlier in the year.  

• Reply 230 of 314
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Correlation does not equal cause.  If someone switches from iPhone to Samsung, odds are they could have just as easily switched to any other Android brand.  If people want to stay with Apple they will, and likewise for Android.  

It's pretty well known that Apple sales peak during the holidays, and Android does relatively better earlier in the year.  

Re your second sentence: This is a positive feedback system, since most people are on two year plans, so once they got an iPhone for Christmas, they will make their decisions near the same time, and so are more likely to stay with the iPhone unless there are compelling reasons to switch, and similar with android (where the announcements seem to be made in late winter). But note that they will switch if there is a compelling reason. I have no idea what compels people, but certainly the long samsung feature lists will at least get them thinking about switching.

• Reply 231 of 314
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    I have long suspected this is true but it also seems this would make some tech journalist famous if he/she were able to prove it and tie it to Google or Samsung. Of the big so-called Apple centric sites I visit on a regular basis (AppleInsider, MacNN, MacRumors, MacWorld, for example) it seems the Samsung/Android fans outnumber the Apple/iOS fans at times. Is this phenomenon a result of insecurity issues or a coordinated effort?

I'm convinced that it's mostly a variation of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. It's understandable that a person who likes Apple products would go to an Apple forum to talk about the products and maybe pick up some rumors about future products. Similarly, it's perfectly understandable that a BMW fan would go to BMW forums to do the same.

It is not understandable - and borders on mental illness to spend so much time at a forum related to a product you don't use, refuse to use, and swear you never will use just to make fun of the people who use a different product than you do. That's exactly the type of behavior you'd expect from someone with NPD.
    lkrupp wrote: »
    So if there are shills out there, paid to join sites like AppleInsider and spread FUD, why haven't we seen any investigative reports about it? It would seem that something like that couldn't be kept quiet for very long. Also, if the company doing it got caught red handed it would be a major blow to their credibility and reputation. Is attacking Apple worth that kind of risk?

How is anyone going to prove it? I just can't see any possible way. Google hires a shill and the agreement says that if they ever admit to being a shill, they have to return all the money Google has ever paid them and also be liable to damages. It's not likely that it would get out. But, as I said, I doubt that there are many. Most of them are just mentally ill as explained above.
  • Reply 232 of 314
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It's called confirmation bias.

• Reply 233 of 314
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gatorguy wrote: »

They also said to expect an Apple Netbook too.
  • Reply 234 of 314
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    They also said to expect an Apple Netbook too.

They do make one, it's just not a cheap piece of crap.
  • Reply 235 of 314
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    reefoid wrote: »
    I see AI's Mr Angry is in full flow today.

How does anything you wrote prove that Google sold an email address?  If, as you state, its so simple, surely even you can see that no email address was sold in your scenario.  If you can't see that, may I suggest you walk away from the internet.

I'm not even going to bother to try and explain how Google ads work because you know full well how they work and that what you're writing is BS.  Its been explained many times to you and others so stop spouting nonsense.
    Thanks for the nick name I like it.
    Please don't bother explaining things to me, because it will simply be BS.
    Google scans your emails, so by your thinking they couldn't scan the actual email addresses? Really?
    Do you know emails, text and addresses (source and destination) get packaged into an XML file and this is what is sent. I know because I have worked on projects that involved automatic alerting of batch job abends. Yes, I work in IT, have done so for he past 26 years, and you?
    So I call you a liar by your statements in your reply to my previous post.
    Are you anyway in PR, you sound like it?
    I stand by my statements regarding google and privacy.
  • Reply 236 of 314
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    addabox wrote: »
    It's called confirmation bias.

Is there no specific term for only comparing it to and predicting the worst for the market leader. It seems doubtful that any Android-based device will eat into Apple's market in any significant way but if anything is going be affected by the S IV is surely has to be other Android-based devices, followed by the other devices using even weaker OSes, like BB and WinPhone, with the iPhone being the least affected by any of this.

Mindshare bias?
  • Reply 237 of 314
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

What drivel.

"I owned an iPhone, and it was decent". After reading that I cannot consider you ever telling the truth.

Go away troll.

I'm sorry did you get upset because I didn't use a brighter adjective to describe my iPhone experiences because the last time I checked the word decent wasn't negative. Okay, you called me on it, your right I don't use iOS because I think it's to restrictive. The applications are there, oh man are they there, however the system's UI is missing a lot of functionality that I have become spoiled with over the years using a traditional desktop; for example a filemanager. I named a few more in my previous post. I also like the openness from some of the Android handsets that are available. As aforementioned I have a Nexus 4, love this phone, it's a open-book to explore in. I recently spent a  good portion of a Saturday installing Ubuntu on it, after plugging in a HDMI cable and connecting my bluetooth peripherals I had the smallest usable desktop computer I had ever owned. 

All that geek crap left aside, why can't a Apple fan not like their entire product line. I still love typing reports on my Powerbook 100 that was handed down to me by my father, I have even owned and currently still have every generation of the Air & Mini. I still have a 17" iLamp because I absolutely adore it. There's something about mini computers that have always gotten me hot and bothered ever since I found a HP 95LX in the little girls room. The Android platform just gets me closer to my vision of that perfect palm top.

• Reply 238 of 314
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It's just a way for certain specific members to dismiss other members when they don't have any other argument against what was posted. Both shill and troll should have their own hotkeys to save them from having to be typed in several times a day.
    You are paid by google or samdung. I have asked you countless times to justify your presence on our site.
    You refuse to.
    This implies you are paid, if you have nothing to hide, tell us all why you are on this site. I'm waiting and waiting and waiting.
  • Reply 239 of 314
    macrulez wrote: »
    A lot of people here have no idea how advertising works, including the advertising here at AI.

For example:  of all the people who claim Google is Satan and they refuse to have anything to do with sites that use it, how many realize that AppleInsider's income is in part dependent on Google Ad Services, and this site willfully subjects all of its visitors to the sort of "tracking" that its editorial content attempts to deride?

Look at the JavaScript includes here and consider:

Will you stop using AI, or admit that you really don't have a problem with Google at all and are just mindlessly parroting a local cultural meme?
    Why are you on this site? You despise Apple. So tell me why are you on his site?
    I no longer read what you trolls write, so boring and filed with so many lies. Didn't your mummy teach you to not lie when you were young?
  • Reply 240 of 314
    hill60 wrote: »
    ...apart from the ones which have only 4,

cores that is

black gold

texas tea

now the first thing you know old Jed's a millionaire...
    Nice one.
    Yep the idiots who buy the 4 core one will be disappointed to learn that it didn't have 8.
    Why did they stop at 8? Why not 16 or 64?