DVD-R software and iDVD incompatability

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    .....any new news about the enabler/patches/etc.?
  • Reply 22 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>For those who want to use iDVD 2.1 with eMac, PowerBook etc here is a good news.

Other World Computing is now selling the external Firewire DVD-R drive with iDVD 2.1 enabler for $400.</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Page.cfm?Parent=457&Title=DVD&Template="; target="_blank">here's a link to the info on dvd-r drive</a>
  • Reply 23 of 25
    aslanaslan Posts: 97member
    I strongly concur with Matsu on this one! You guys ARE great and tremendously speedy! Thanks for all the help finding out what needed to be done to help me out... I really owe every one a really decent beer.

I am curious about OWC bundling that hack with their drive....

(quickly... Bunge... I sent you a reply w/ my email address so feel free to toss it my way!)

Thanks again guys! Enjoy you days!

- the big silly lion
  • Reply 24 of 25
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    but then what happens when iDVD is updated? do you need another patch?
  • Reply 25 of 25
    icruiseicruise Posts: 127member
    I just ordered the OWC external drive a couple of days ago, and today as I look at xlr8yourmac they have apparently announced that the DVD enabler which allowed you to use the drive with the OS X DVD player and iDVD will not be included any more once their current stock runs out. In some sense this is good for me, since I do have the enabler, but I am worried about Jaguar. Are they discontinuing it because they found it had some problem with Jaguar, or because of pressure from Apple? I am more than a little peeved about this, since the main reason I bought this drive was because of the enabler.

In answer to the person's question about needing a new version of the patch when iDVD is updated, I don't think it would be necessary (assuming Apple doesn't actively try to disable it) since it doesn't actually do anything to iDVD or the DVD player, rather it fools the operating system into thinking you are using an internal drive. But I worried about compatibility with a whole new OS like Jaguar.