HELP! No Internet on new iBook.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all,

When I tried to connect my new iBook to my cable modem (RoadRunner through Ethernet) it cannot access any servers. My PowerMac G4 with OS 9 and my older PowerMac 5260/120 connects using Eithernet and this modem. How can I make it work in OS X? I have already set it to use the Built-In Ethernet, and set it to use the DHCP server but it is a no-go. Please Help!

Thanks a lot!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I had a similiar problem when I set up an AirPort at my father-in-laws.... he was using some sort of cable modem as well.

After I got everything set up/configured, it just wouldnt connect to the internet.

What finally made it work was... turned off the Airport (in your case, turn off the computer)... powered down the cablemodem (just unplug it if there's no switch) ... then powered the modem .... then turned on the computer.

When it came up, everything worked fine.... apparently something in the cable network needed to be reset for it to recognize the computer ... possibly something the cable company has set up to keep people from connecting multiple computers to thier service (allthough this can be overcome with an Airport or similiar).

Anyway .... always remember .... when all else fails (and your sure its configured right) reboot ... EVERYTHING. This method is even used frequently on Boeing equipment !!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Unplug the Cable Modem for about 3 minutes to reset the IP address.

Edit to clarify. Unplug the power from the Modem, not the Ethernet Cable from the Modem

[ 07-31-2002: Message edited by: PooPooDoctor ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot:

<strong>What finally made it work was... turned off the Airport (in your case, turn off the computer)... powered down the cablemodem (just unplug it if there's no switch) ... then powered the modem .... then turned on the computer.

When it came up, everything worked fine.... apparently something in the cable network needed to be reset for it to recognize the computer ... possibly something the cable company has set up to keep people from connecting multiple computers to thier service (allthough this can be overcome with an Airport or similiar).

</strong><hr></blockquote>

The reason you must do this is to get the cable company to assign you a new IP. Many companies have IPs locked on to a specific MAC address. When switching computers without a router, you must get the cable company to assign you a new IP, and therefore, reset the MAC address stored in their database. Sometimes, depending on your ISP, you may even have to wait a certain number of hours with the modem unplugged in order to get them to assign a new IP (as they only do it so often).