DoD reportedly set to buy 650,000 iOS devices to replace legacy products

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    hollybolly wrote: »
    Trillions of dollars in debt and this is what we do with our tax dollars? Now I understand why Tim Cook was dating Obama earlier this year. Kissy..kissy....we need you now...if Apple tanks...its only going to get worse for you Obama....Hands....holding..hands...reaching out.....How about feeding the hungry or creating jobs for us little guys....tsk ...tsk...Obama!

But of course spending a trillion every year on the complete waste off military is perfectly fine with you I'm guessing....
  • Reply 42 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Apparently the rumor wasn't accurate afterall. A DoD spokesman says the report that Blackberry devices were being ditched and replaced by those from Apple wasn't true.

"[B]The department is aware of recent reporting that asserts it is 'dropping' BlackBerry. This reporting is in error. [/B]The department recently released its mobility strategy and supporting implementation plan, which clarifies we are moving towards a mobile management capability that supports a variety of devices, to include BlackBerry," Lt. Col. Damien Pickart, an official DoD spokesman, told PCMag.

Earlier this month, Electronista reported that the Pentagon had "decimated" its testing budget for BlackBerry 10, the newly released operating system for BlackBerry smartphones, in order to "save the DoD millions in procurement and personnel costs." On Wednesday, the tech blog said it had learned from unnamed sources that the department planned to order more than 650,000 iOS devices from Apple, including 210,000 iPhones, 120,000 iPads, 100,000 iPad minis, and 200,000 iPod touches, at the conclusion of the sequester.

[B]Pickart said he was not aware of plans to place such a large order for devices from Apple."[/B]

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2416904,00.asp
  • Reply 43 of 45
    iDevices for the military is already in high gear. I have personally help setup "New" MacBook Airs and iPads for generals in the Army. Saved a ton of time and money when everything got sync'd in the clouds. Not a BB in sight nowadays.

New secure mobile WiFi should be completed soon as well for those devices.

Everything's looking good for Apple :)
  • Reply 44 of 45
    Sorry double posted.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    bucci wrote: »
    Buying iOS devices is actually a good way to save money.  If you knew how much the gov spent per computer on MS CALs you would be shocked.

Yep. I still can't believe the massive costs of Wndows Server. Back when Apple was selling xServe, it was often cheaper to buy an xServe with unlimited client licenses than to buy WIndows server - even if your hardware was free.