Apple acknowledges evad3r jailbreakers found 4 of 6 exploits fixed with iOS 6.1.3

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

You say this as if the hackers didn't already know that Apple would patch it up.

I say that as though they'd realize that and be a touch more discreet with their expounding of such, perhaps leaving holes unplugged longer.

Do you think that the next version of iOS will somehow be hackproof?

Heavens no, but they certainly do have a time of it right now, don't they… 

• Reply 42 of 43
    [QUOTE]I wonder if Apple credited evad3rs as a slap to their face after dissecting the EvasiOn jailbreak. I can't see evad3rs being all proud of Apple giving them credit for the fix.[/QUOTE]

I can tell you for certain they ARE proud of this.

iOS 6.1.3 was allegedly to fix the Lockscreen bug, but it does not fix that. This makes the third time Apple released an update "to address an issue" but in reality all they were doing was trying to break the JB.

Just look at the score, from December to March, iOS 6 has had Seven Iterations. 6 of these have been beaten, one of them not, and the choice to not JB the latest one does not mean that they cannot right now beat it.

I've never seen Microsoft release a service pack to prevent people from Modifying their OS, and that's what this is - If you want to score Apple vs the Jailbreakers, the Jailbreakers are 6 to Apple 0, as they have beaten every iOS since the original. But that is not what this is, it's not a competition. It's the desire to make the things we buy, that we spend our money on, that we could have used to, er, eat with, do the things we want them to do. Since non-JB iOS can't do certain things, we can MAKE it do those things - If we Jailbreak.

Like open any app with Siri, Like use Siri to compose and send a text message with Voice Only and hands Free. By opening Siri by just saying "Siri" or "Computer"

Apple is a huge Behemoth, and instead of giving us the innovations that the Jailbreakers and cYdia App Devs give us - What do they do? They use ALL of their resources to what... CLOSE the JAILBREAK.

It would be great if they used those same resources next time to give us features that right now can only be obtained via cYdia.

And cYdia has the right idea - You have to BUY the best of these mods. Apple can do that too, why can't Apple make us a Theming app, that we can buy as an "Extra Feature" - Even Windows 8 has a couple of "extra features" you can buy.

I Propose this to Apple, stop competing with the Jailbreakers, use the same resources to give us an iOS that is BETTER than what we can get by Modding, and offer us features that we can buy or not buy. I don't mean APPS, I mean Features, things that will change the filesystem. Because this is the big drawback with Store Apps - if they mod the Filesystem in ANY way, Apple bans them.
  • Reply 43 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Perhaps it's a new double-edged strategy to prevent jailbreaking from being too popular as they surely won't win to keep it from being illegal. If they make it widely known they will close any holes that are used for the jailbreaking community those willing to give out their exploits freely may dwindle and what is given out will just make iOS stronger in the long run.

- If Apple in the future uses all of their resources to simply block every Jailbreak as it happens, where does that leave innovation? Just look at what's been going on since December - From iOS 6 to 6.1, there was almost of month of peace, no new updates. the moment 6.1 happened and it was Jailbroken? BAM - BAM BAM BAM - Four new upgrades in RAPID succession. Nobody can tell me they were trying to fix "The Exchange Bug" - They could have done that from 6.0 through 6.1.

I think Apple should go back to ignoring the Jailbreaks and so called "exploits" - Things that only the most advanced hack3rs can do in the first place - and get back to - Still trying to make the iOS as SECURE as possible, but also give us a much better iOS, one that we can look at and say, "Well, this has got most of what I want in it, no NEED to Jailbreak"

As they did from iOS 2 through 4 and 5. In iOS 5 Siri came out, it was a kind of novelty back then, but made slightly better in iOS 6, but the cYdia Devs have made it into a fully useful Hands Free tool, and I'm sure that the hardware even on my iPhone 4S can be made to make the Assistant much more than a novelty, it could be made into something great. If Apple could Jailbreak a few of their own devices, and take a hard look at the possibilities, why not offer them to us without the need to Jailbreak? The iPhone is simply a computer and all computers can be made useful but not by locking up the OS of the computer so it cannot be modded. And the keeping of that lockout has been where all of Apple's huge Development Resources are tied up at the moment.