Wallstreet ram problem! Please help!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I have quick question and need help.

I just installed a 256 MB so-dimm from a Pismo PowerBook in my Wallstreet. It only shows up as 128 MB though.

What is the problem and can anything be done to fix this?

Thanks for your time.

Ron

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    scadboyscadboy Posts: 189member
    Strange. Is the 256MB dimm the only one currently installed in the Wallstreet? If so, reinstall the 256MB dimm back in the Pismo it came from to confirm that it is not damaged.

Damage aside, it may be possible that the ram is incompatible with your Wallstreet. If I recall correctly, the Wallstreet and Pismo have different system bus speeds, and thus different RAM requirements. But I could be wrong.

[EDIT]

I just checked Apple's specifications for the Wallstreet and Pismo series, and while the RAM appears to be compatible, the Wallstreet is only rated for up to 192MB of RAM total. While I know that it will work with more (my WallStreet had a good 384MB installed and worked fine for many a years), it may be that your model is simply more finicky than mine was. Also, what slot is the RAM installed in. If possible, try putting it in the opposite slot (if it will fit) and see if that helps.

ciao,

michael

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: scadboy ]

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: scadboy ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    most likely your porblem is that the wallstreets had an 87Mhz system bus, the later models (Pismo) have 66Mhz system busses. if your Pismo has PC66 ram, it won't read as a full 256MB chip.

at least that's my guess.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    engpjpengpjp Posts: 124member
    According to Apple's Technotes, WallStreet cannot properly address RAM modules that use RAM units (each black chip) larger than 128Mbit.

I have 512MB RAM in my WallStreet; my first attempt at this was with 256MB RAM modules that each had 8 units on (ie, each unit was a 256Mbit unit). It meant that the WallStreet could only see (and thus address) 128MB on each module. Changing to modules with 16 units (ie, each unit being a 128 Mbit one) gave me the desired 256 MB RAM from each module.

Does anyone out there have any experience with 512 MB RAM modules for WallStreet?

engpjp
  • Reply 4 of 4
    You are correct, that is the reason buddy's RAM from the pismo will not work.

BTW,trivia:

wallstreet bus = 83.333

Pismo bus = 100 mhz