2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What is the answer? Does Google have ads in their apps? Which ones?

Google's SW is spyware.

They are much less obvious in their activities than others.

They collect info on you for their advertisers, who may send you spam Emails.

I wouldn't know because I don't receive any spam.

• Reply 22 of 33
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    to all those android fanboys wondering why google is building iOS apps, here is your answer.

Why would they question Google's tactic of taking money from suckers?
  • Reply 23 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Both of you don't get it. It's not about whether the money goes to Apple or iAd. It's about the fact that iOS devices are a better way for companies to spend their $$$ if they want to effectively reach customers.

I'd take it a step further & say it's about companies having more incentive to put more developer hours into their iOS version of their software.  For bigger companies they'll try to make a uniform product but for smaller developers this means Android apps will continue to lack in polish when compared to iOS.  You saw the same thing with PC software vs Mac back when Apple still had a nothing install base.  For those companies that made cross-platform software the Mac version usually sucked in comparison to the PC version.  The quality usually goes where the money is.

If Microsoft can get Win Mobile together with business they also will have a fighting chance because with all the AD directory systems out there Win Mobile devices have a natural appeal to IT departments from a management standpoint.  If Microsoft can pull that off Android is in for a serious hurt.  All the geek supporters in the world can't save you when you have issues with polish, take Linux as a prime example.

• Reply 24 of 33
    petrosypetrosy Posts: 51member
    Could be because of
    A: Apple users have more disposable income.
    B: Apple users are of average intelligence and or gullible, making them susceptible to marketing.
    C: Android
    users are content in their lives and don't feel the need to fillit with more stuff.

I am leaning towards B for the explanation.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by petrosy View Post

If we cared where you stood, we probably would have asked. image

• Reply 26 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If we cared where you stood, we probably would have asked. image

I'm sure we won't have to ask to get your terse and arrogant opinion on every single fricking topic will we?

• Reply 27 of 33
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Could be because of

B: Apple users are of average intelligence and or gullible, making them susceptible to marketing.

users are content in their lives and don't feel the need to fillit with more stuff.

It's A, as well as the fact that Android users are either "geeks" who have a mistaken notion that Android is "open" and (mostly) the technologically illiterate who don't know what they are getting and don't use apps, including ad supported apps, and don't see ads as a consequence.

We know Android users, the "geeks", aren't content in their lives because so many of them come here to troll us.

• Reply 28 of 33

Quote:

Could be because of

Your post is....

A: An insightful comment based on facts and evidence.

B: A troll post to bash Apple with made up sterotypes of its users.

• Reply 29 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Several articles from earlier this month, and repeated today in op-eds on Google's latest results, put Google's share of US mobile ad revenue as high as 93%. While iOS users could well be the primary source of mobile advertising revenue in the US, that income is flowing to Google according to advertising research sources.

"Google dominates the mobile search market with 93% of U.S. mobile search advertising dollars, according to eMarketer. Facebook is at No. 2, ahead of online music service Pandora Inc. and Twitter. EMarketer expects U.S. mobile ad spending to grow 77% this year to US$7.29 billion, from US$4.11 billion last year."

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/04/18/google-earnings-rise-16-as-slump-in-average-ad-prices-eases/

http://marketingland.com/emarketer-google-to-take-more-than-half-of-mobile-advertising-dollars-but-facebook-will-win-majority-of-mobile-display-market-38937

FWIW Facebook is expected to make significant gains in mobile ad revenue share this year.

• Reply 30 of 33
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    ...... put Google's share of US mobile ad revenue as high as 93%.

That should be "mobile SEARCH ad revenue.

What's your point? That mobile Bing isn't doing so well?
  • Reply 31 of 33
    I live in Hong Kong , I never see iad on my iPhone .
  • Reply 32 of 33
    caliminius wrote: »

Did both of you fail to notice that that this article never mentions where that ad money was actually spent? Android has 25%, which is guaranteed to be 25% that is NOT going to Apple. That leaves the other 75% of mobile ad spending. Do you honestly think iAds is getting 75% of all mobile ad spending? If so, you're delusional (especially since the article states they're still third in mobile advertising). The fact is Google doesn't really care which platform advertisers target as long as the give their money to Google.

I agree with your facts but not your interpretation.

No one thinks 75% of ad money is going to Apple.

Apple's income from ads is less than 1% of all of its income.

Google on the other hand, has about 97% of its income relying on ads.

Google bought android and developed it further so that they wouldn't be locked out of mobile advertising.

Let's hypothesize that Google earns 100% of all mobile advertising and that Apple, Facebook, Twitter etc.... earn 0% And that android and iOS are the only mobile OSes.

According to this report ( and we should question every report ), Google would be earning 75% of their mobile ad revenue from iOS devices. Not the devices based on the operating system that they own.

The point being made is that even though there are 3-4x android users VS iOS users worldwide, why are 75% of ad revenues coming from the platform with 20-25% of the users? Do companies pay more to display ads on iOS? So do the ads cost more per user on iOS? Are ads displayed more often in iOS apps than equelivent android apps? I doubt it. Are iOS users using ad supported apps 10x more than android users? Who knows?

Back to reality

Regardless if you are on team Google or team Apple, there's one fact that is really important that we don't know.

Google knows it, but they are not telling. Their silence is deafening.

It's very important to their business since ~97% of there income is from ads and mobile will eventually become even more important.

The fact....

Via mobile devices, which platform is searching more via Google? Google knows this but is silent.

The fact does not ( at least yet ) support their story. So they won't discuss it until android is "winning" them more ad money than iOS.

Maybe it's the cynic in me but if over 50% of mobile searches are from android, I believe that Google would be bragging about it.

Instead we have reports like this.

Suppose an 80/20 split, why does the 80% OS only earn 25% of income while the 20% OS earns 75%

Why are not all users equal? These are questions you should be asking yourself.

Why does iOS earn more money for Google than their own OS. How many phones, tablets, SmartTVs, etc... have to be sold with android until android ad revenue breaks even with iOS.

Will there be so many android devices one day that Google ad revenue is 10-20x on iOS vs collective android devices?

Who knows, ask questions, that's the only way we learn.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    There's an interesting rumor out in the past couple of days that claims Apple has bigger plans for building on advertising revenue than they've shown so far. According to a [B]story at 9to5[/B] Apple is developing an ad exchange focusing on users of Apple products. How would it work?

" by allowing advertisers to target users as they enter the Apple eco-system on their iPads, MacBooks, various web sites and apps. The system would alert advertisers that an Apple user arrived. Any advertiser tracking that user with a cookie (a piece of software that records previous websites you've looked at) could then bid to serve an ad targeting that user."

Certainly might have some impact on Google ad revenues I would think.