Where'd this "desktop" folder come from?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Today I noticed that my hard drive went from having 4 folders (Applications, Library, System, Users) to five (same & a "desktop" folder).

I opened the folder, and it doesn't open to the files on my desktop, consists of 0 bytes, and I'd love to delete it, but cannot.

Does anyone have an idea what happened, and what I can do? If it has to remain, is there any way I can hide it?

Thanks.

-Jennings

iBook 700, 640 megs, 10.2

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Did you install classic just know?

Difference between OS X and OS 9 or so in this respect:

OS 9 plunks the desktop folder right in the root directory of your drive (= you see it when you doubleclick your drive's icon).

OS X whacks it in every user's own folder.

So, the most natural thing would be the fact that you installed a system, OR that X is acting up and showing you that folder (I'm currently not on X, so I can't check it). I do think the os 9's desktop folder shows by default in X.

EDIT: one more thing, if you really think it shouldn't be dare and are willing to take the risk, you could open the Terminal.app and type the following (right at the top):

cd / (hit enter)

sudo rm "desktop folder" (hit enter)

(you will be asked for a valid administrator password, if it's your computer, it will be your regular password...).

(the folder should be gone, and hopefully your system will still be working).

[ 09-13-2002: Message edited by: der Kopf ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 2
    [quote]Originally posted by der Kopf:

<strong>Did you install classic just know?

Difference between OS X and OS 9 or so in this respect:

OS 9 plunks the desktop folder right in the root directory of your drive (= you see it when you doubleclick your drive's icon).

OS X whacks it in every user's own folder.

So, the most natural thing would be the fact that you installed a system, OR that X is acting up and showing you that folder (I'm currently not on X, so I can't check it). I do think the os 9's desktop folder shows by default in X.

EDIT: one more thing, if you really think it shouldn't be dare and are willing to take the risk, you could open the Terminal.app and type the following (right at the top):

cd / (hit enter)

sudo rm "desktop folder" (hit enter)

(you will be asked for a valid administrator password, if it's your computer, it will be your regular password...).

(the folder should be gone, and hopefully your system will still be working).

[ 09-13-2002: Message edited by: der Kopf ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the reply. I am only running 10.2, and I hadn't installed anything in a few days, other than the latest OmniWeb Sneakypeak.

I actually logged in as root and attempted to delete the folder, and I was denied permission.

The "problem" is solved though: I just completed a clean install of 10.2, and the folder's gone. Last week I installed Fruit Menu, and it seemed to make everything less responsive, and removing the program didn't make things better (whether it was imagined or not). So, I just figured I'd kill two birds with one stone (so to speak).