Cook: Apple has surprises in the works for fall, all of 2014

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    And the time between the Mac and iPod was 27 years.

Yep, Apple is doing fine! All this whining about new products seems to ignore that today's products are doing very well indeed.

Sadly much of this pressure is due to institutional ignorance on Wall Street and the inability to see beyond a quarter. Anybody supporting this nonsense needs to realize that many a good company has been ruined trying to satisfy unreasonable expectations on the street. It can lead to really bad management choices.
  • Reply 62 of 78
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    While I realize it's the hardware that makes the profit for Apple, I'm still of the mindset that without powerful software to take advantage of the hardware... well, you just have pretty graphs showing benchmarks.

That's why I seriously believe that at WWDC we and the world are just going to go slack-jawed at the new iOS7, new OS X, and new native apps being presented.

It is also why Apple will need until the end of the summer to get it all rolled out and give the developers a chance to integrate the changes to their apps/programs, at which time the new hardware will be announced with the new OSes installed.

At this point in time where a lot of potential customers proclaim their current Apple hardware to be "good or fast enough", it is the software that will make their current devices sing and dispel their thoughts of springing to another platform. One word: retention.

For those that have jumped ship, in order to get their hands on the very best integrated software money can buy... they will be compelled to purchase an Apple product again.

I believe this is called not putting the cart before the horse... or something along those lines.*
    *Jeez... does anybody still know that saying, use it, or even know that it was a mode of transportation once upon a time? Trippy! :smokey:
  • Reply 63 of 78
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

I'm enjoying how many people here say iWork needs updating, but haven't offered any specific features or fixes they desire. The iCloud framework is a seperate beast with its own problems. So what missing feature of iWork is a work stoppage issue? Is it deleting every fifth document?

Rogifan View Post

I love how everyone bitched last year because of all the leaks and that there were no surprises and now this year people are bitching because there's no news. They don't want leaks but they want to know what Apple is up to. With some of the issues Apple had last year I have a feeling the mantra from Cook this year is we'll release products when they're ready and not a minute before. When Ive says Apple's goal isn't about making money this is what he's talking about. And Oppenheimer mentioned it on the call - Apple is focused on the long term, not short term profits. Wall Street might not like that answer but Apple' basically saying we don't care.

Hear hear. I don't get the logic behind most companies obsessed with pleasing the people who make money from them (via stock) instead of pleasing their customers, from whom they make money. Wall Street doesn't dictate what any company is actually worth.

Marvin View Post

While the 15" MBP can be updated, the 13" can't be so unless they updated them separately, they all get pushed back. I think they should update the 15" in June and cut the prices down. Even if the 13" stays as is, worst case, it drives people to the higher value machines until September.

Obviously the retail staff keep the rollout going but what does Ive do between launches?

The rMBP has been on a staggered update so far, so at least it's consistent.

Ive prototypes. I can imagine him playing with a Liquidmetal hand cover, like a T-1000-esque version of the Power Glove.

• Reply 64 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    samosai wrote: »
    I am on Tim Cook's side. He is a stabilizing influence for Apple, reorganizing the management group into an effective, coordinating whole. He and the team continue producing/refining excellent products. Cook and the Management Team should ignore Wall Street. They are myopic, focusing on the short-term, confusing correlation for causal assessment.

I am an applied econometrician with an understanding of open-economy macroeconomics.

Sam S., Ph.D.

I was going to say the exact same thing .... ;)
  • Reply 65 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Something for the bears and the bulls.  Stock down slightly as I type....

Positive

- dividend increase (about 3% at $400)

- buyback.....reduce share count, improve eps all else being equal, make shareholder turnover less volatile, reduced div payments offset interest expense

- taking on debt...reduce cost of capital

- hinting at new product categories, more than just evolutionary products

- number of first time smartphone buyers over next few years "isn't lost on" apple .....hint for lower cost phone?

- Cook changed and communicated a little more

Negatives

- No new hardware until the fall 

- March qtr gross margin lower than the lowest of nearly 40 estimates on bberg.  

- Guided June quarter well below street's already low expectations.  Guided to about $7.70/share vs street at $8.87; $4 billion below estimates on sales and a whopping 200 bps below estimates for gross margin.  

- More problematic, September numbers will have to come down massively, currently at $10.40, but may be lucky to hit the june number without a product launch that impacts at least september.

- Expect a lot of model/earnings revisions lower tomorrow

- Fiscal 2013 eps on trajectory for 11-13% year over year decline

- I thought TC and PO danced a little too much on the China issue and gross margin question, not to mention the growing slower than the market question.  Enough with the longwinded channel inventory stuff, just say you are indeed growing slower than the market and expect to change that.

- Just amazed that everything appears to be coming out the last 3-4 months of the year again; iOS7 may be behind schedule, pushing everything back?

- Continue to dismiss large screen phone 'with current trade offs' 

Excellent rundown. This forum needs more posts like this!

• Reply 66 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Yep, Apple is doing fine! All this whining about new products seems to ignore that today's products are doing very well indeed.

Sadly much of this pressure is due to institutional ignorance on Wall Street and the inability to see beyond a quarter. Anybody supporting this nonsense needs to realize that many a good company has been ruined trying to satisfy unreasonable expectations on the street. It can lead to really bad management choices.

In all fairness Apple did release new product categories in those 27 years, they just didn't fare as well as Apple's 21st century releases. The Newton and QuickTake come to mind.
  • Reply 67 of 78

Next big thing is a systemic product solution like InterestMachine™ with which you win. We have seen separate and individual products but now we need a system.

- So, what comes after iPhone and iPad?

The only way for Apple to survive is to bring one more great product. If it isn't Apple's InterestMachine™ and MIST-UI™ and its BlinkUI™  it may be Marissa's and Yahoo-Sony-Oracle's, all quicker than Apple?

InterestMachine™

Abstractionshift and Marissa

• Reply 68 of 78
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jeandarch wrote: »
    Next big thing is a systemic product solution like InterestMachine™ with which you win. We have seen separate and individual products but now we need a system.

The only way for Apple to survive is to bring one more great product. If it isn't Apple's InterestMachine™ and MIST-UI™ and its BlinkUI™  it may be Marissa's and Yahoo-Sony-Oracle's, all quicker than Apple?

Interesting but it's more of a feature than a actual product.
  • Reply 69 of 78
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member

From transcript:

Tim Cook - CEO: Our teams are hard at work on some amazing new hardware, software and services that we can't wait to introduce this fall and throughout 2014.

...then later...

Steven Milunovich - UBS Securities: Tim, you alluded to fall announcements of products. Is that indicating that there may not be substantial new products until literally fall, late September, which means the September quarter could look a lot like the June quarter, is that part of what you're implying or were you just being more general?

Tim Cook - CEO: I don't want to be more specific. But I'm just saying we've got some really great stuff coming in the fall and across all of 2014.

I interpret his comments to emphasize "amazing new" stuff in the fall.  Doesn't mean there won't be roll outs of updated stuff.

If I had to guess, all new iPhone hardware (& iOS) won't come until Sep.  But that's expected (by the reasonable folks).

I see no reason why updated ipads, mac, software, etc. couldn't come earlier than fall.

Obviously, TV, watch, etc. would come post fall...2014.

• Reply 70 of 78
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member

I still  believe a nano (feature) phone would be good.

and deeper into fantasy land... how about a REALLY small iPhone nano (a flip phone?).  So small that it can be docked INSIDE an iPad Mini.  That way, the user can carry around just the phone while exercising, at a restaurant, out with the family...but can dock into the iPad Mini for business meetings, travel, to/from work, etc.  I know this is a bit gimmicky, but having hybrid/options of a small portable device along with a larger/more powerful device suits a lot of people with an active lifestyle.  This is probably what an iWatch (optionally paired with a larger device) is supposed to address as well. 

• Reply 71 of 78
    Of course they do, there apple.
  • Reply 72 of 78

"The most important objective for Apple," Cook explained, "is developing innovative products."

- Yes, butt. We have seen separate and individual products but now we need a system.

- InterestMachine™ comes after iPhone and iPad.

The only way for Apple to survive is to bring one more great systemic product. If it isn't Apple's InterestMachine™ + MIST-UI™ + BlinkUI™  it may be Marissa's and Yahoo-Sony-Oracle's one, they all quicker than Apple?

InterestMachine™

Abstractionshift and Marissa

• Reply 73 of 78
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Since we're dreaming big, here's a pleasant surprise I'd like to see: the next rMBP having the mobile variant of this.

• Reply 74 of 78
    I hope he's s**tting us. If there isn't a new product announced during WWDC, they'll have an even deeper hole to dig out of.
  • Reply 75 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Robert Turner View Post

I hope he's s**tting us. If there isn't a new product announced during WWDC, they'll have an even deeper hole to dig out of.

Come off it.

• Reply 76 of 78
    Apple will once again demonstrate its leadership by July 2013...shares will cross $600
    Apple shares will be back to its highs by December 2013
  • Reply 77 of 78
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    People need to stop spreading rumor and generate unrealistic expectations. And, if the Wall Street is manipulating the stock based on the rumors, they are doing injustice to their client's money.