XML Excel Files

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, I hope this question hasn't been asked a dozen times before.

It is my understanding that the version of Excel which comes with Office XP can open XML files to create Excel Spreadsheets.

It doesn't seem like Excel for Mac OS X does this. Is there a way to add this functionality or would I have to wait for an Office upgrade that will probably never come until the next paid version is released?

The reason I need to do this is because I am writing a PHP script for a website that is supposed to generate an XML file based on user input. The file is then to be opened in Excel and printed. I have some generic xml files as examples to work with, but I cannot open these xml files properly in Excel. It's not 100% crucial to my work, but I am curious to see how it works and it may become important somewhere along the line.

Thanks for any help you can provide. In the meantime I'll get back to my coding.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    it may be an optional install in the OSX version of Office. do you have one you can mail to me that i can play around with? i'd be interested to know as well.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Thanks for the reply.

I think I installed all of the extra stuff, but it's always possible that I missed something. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere on Microsoft's website or in the help files though.

I'll mail you one to look at.