One HiFi, two computers

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have both an iBook as well as a PeeCee desktop in the same room on the same desktop, along with a dolby surround audio thingy. Of course, that thingy can only output sound from *one* input at a time.

When I'm playing games on my PeeCee, I would like to have the sound fx from the PC, but at the same time the music from iTunes. I'm imagining the following trick: iTunes' output is being streamed through the network, and a simple stream client (like Winamp2) on the PC picks up the stream and plays it. Of course, ther ewould be some lag, but that doesn't really matter.

Now, is there a *way* to redirect iTunes' output, and if not, can you perhaps at least redirect the whole output of OS X?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    [quote]Originally posted by Chucker:

<strong>I have both an iBook as well as a PeeCee desktop in the same room on the same desktop, along with a dolby surround audio thingy. Of course, that thingy can only output sound from *one* input at a time.

When I'm playing games on my PeeCee, I would like to have the sound fx from the PC, but at the same time the music from iTunes. I'm imagining the following trick: iTunes' output is being streamed through the network, and a simple stream client (like Winamp2) on the PC picks up the stream and plays it. Of course, ther ewould be some lag, but that doesn't really matter.

Now, is there a *way* to redirect iTunes' output, and if not, can you perhaps at least redirect the whole output of OS X?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Can you plug the mac output into the PC input?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    r. h.r. h. Posts: 56member
    [quote]Originally posted by Whisper:

<strong>

Can you plug the mac output into the PC input?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Depends on the sound card; but in most cases, yes... and this is the answer to Chucker's problem. Modern sound cards on PCs have a stereo line-in plug amidst all those other myriad plugs, and you can plug just about any stero output into it.

Another example of the same: at the office, I have a Dell under my desk and an Apple on top of my desk, and by using a cable with double-male stereo 1/8" plugs (I scavenged mine from an old Apple monitor with built-in speakers, but you should be able to find one at Radio Shack or the like) I am able to connect the output from the Apple into the input on the Dell... and using a single pair of headphones, I can listen to classical music in iTunes while I'm playing the demo of the new UT2003 on the Dell. After hours, of course...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Thanks