Editorial: Apple's iOS is the new Windows

Comments

• Reply 81 of 225
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member

>You made so many false assertions that I won't even try to refute them.

Well, that's not going to make for much of a conversation then.

• Reply 82 of 225
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Fixed that for you...

You probably haven't been following the market, but the Nexus tablets are actually quite nice, and cheaper than an iPad mini. If I were shopping for a tablet, I'd seriously consider one of those, or the new tablets from Samsung. The Kindle Fire has been beefed up, and if you're mostly into Amazon content, it's definitely worth considering. The point is, for a long time iPad was really the only game in town. That's no longer the case, and Apple's share of the tablet market has slipped below 50%.

Now, if Apple had licensed their OS for a reasonable price, this would all be different. But, Apple is not interested in "market domination" based on pure share. Apple is interested in maximizing profits while remaining true to their creative goals, so for them closed systems make the most sense, even if that means a smaller overall share of sales.

• Reply 83 of 225
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

PCs will still be relevant on the content creation side for the foreseeable future.

For Apple, the threats to "iDevice" stickiness will be streaming media. The iPod (and later iPad) owes much of its popularity to the popularity of iTunes sourced content (which have grown from just songs to movies, TV, and books). If Spotify or Netflix (or Google Play or Amazon Instant MP3/Video) start to eat into that, that will be an early warning sign that Apple had better get on the winning side of that trend. Inflection points for new technology can flip perceptions and consumer market share in as little as two Christmases. If Apple is smart, they'll offer the best streaming music and/or video service before anyone else does. If you think about it, on demand streaming music (personal radio) is something that would even make iCloud irrelevant for media storage, because your music is already on a server. Higher wireless data caps and/or even better music compression could be a tipping point for this.

Very astute comments.

I think, despite all the howls to the contrary, that Apple is lacking imagination. Tim Cook is a very capable, traditional business operator.  Apple didn't get where it is being lead by a traditional business operative. I have read all the pro-Cook arguments on here and I don't agree with them. Perhaps Apple should try and hire Neal Stephenson as an innovation consultant.

I have said this previously, but I think what Apple should have done with that enormous pile of cash they literally have little idea what to do with, is build and deploy a world spanning network of satellites capable of delivering high bandwidth data to Apple devices.  They could use this to leverage an eco-system advantage that Android couldn't begin to touch, not to mention the scope this would provide for really taking over the living room.

Mobile data might be cheap in the US, but I don't think it is worldwide, nor is it likely to become so.  I got a txt message offer from Vodafone less than week ago - 150 Mb, valid for one week, for €3 ($3.90) - no thanks.  If Apple could provide cheap high speed two-way data to iOS devices world-wide, the world would be their oyster.

• Reply 84 of 225

Why are Apple's competitors not beating back its advances?

Lex Luthor: 'All I ask you to do is to kill Superman, and you can't even do that one, simple thing.'

• Reply 85 of 225
    garamondgaramond Posts: 109member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macdaddyimac View Post

Interesting article.

It goes to show the market is dynamic, and it's a matter of innovation.  10 years ago who would believe that M$ no longer is the dominant company, let alone being beat by a company that was ready to bankrupt at any moment?

Also, "Source: Reddit User Submission"?? Could you not attribute it to the actual reddit user?

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/1cbken/1993_vs_2013/

10 years? You missed it by quite some years, my friend. Apple was on the verge of bankruptcy back in 1996, but has had a tremendous rise since that time. But I guess there are many new iOS-fans around that doesn't know the history ;)

• Reply 86 of 225
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Apple is losing market share worldwide and sales (numbers) are not growing at the pace of others. 

Samsung's global mobile-handset shipments rose to 42.6 million units in the third quarter, up 13.9 percent from 37.4 million in the second quarter. Compared to the third quarter of 2006, Samsung's shipments rose by 38.8 percent, the highest rate of all the Top-5 mobile-handset makers.

Source

So, umm how many handsets are Samsung selling these days?

• Reply 87 of 225
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    You know when someone keeps repeating things over and over, they not trying to convince someone else but themselves of it.

Does it look like they care? Just like Steve Jobs said in the interview alongside Bill Gates, Apple didn't need to beat Microsoft, Apple had to remember who Apple was!
  • Reply 88 of 225
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    radster360 wrote: »
    I am not even going to bother reading the article because the title doesn't make sense at all - You cannot buy "iOS" just like you cannot buy "Andriod OS" - But, yes you can buy Window OS. So, please go fix your title and possibly your article also, as I bet it is comparing Apple and Oranges.

Apples and oranges are both fruit so yes they can be compared, and if opinions and aholes can be compared so can iOS and Windows.
  • Reply 89 of 225
    Does it look like they care? Just like Steve Jobs said in the interview alongside Bill Gates, Apple didn't need to beat Microsoft, Apple had to remember who Apple was!

Keep saying you don't care enough times and it means that you really do.
  • Reply 90 of 225
    Android is the new WIndows.. Multiple hardware options driving technology forward. iOS led the way in gui, but it is raplidly becoming a legacy walled garden with close minded bigotism and a big brother we-knows-whats-best-for-you attitude, with an unhealthy one-size-fits all approach to computing..
  • Reply 91 of 225
    iOS is not the New windows.. Android is the new Windows currently, with a multiple HW-vendors approach, and rapidly growing dominance in market-share and installed base.

Apple however s becoming this eras Microsoft, in terms of anti-competitive behavior, and trying to lock customers into a closed eco-system to gain advantages and suck more money from iConsumers!
  • Reply 92 of 225
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

Well written article. It´s important to realize that Apple never was a marketshare leader. The IOS ecosystem is progressing just fine. 

Apple continue to win customers due to a multitude of reasons, but the main reason is and will always be software. They are simply developing the best code, and hence success follows. 

As for what the future will brings, time will tell. But the majority of Apples investments in the last 2-3 years have not gone to simply create an updated version of the ipad/iphone. I am absolutely certain they are making revolutionary progress on key "problems" we face, but as always they are keeping their cards secret until point of release. The Apple company has never been as healthy as it is right now, and this is not reflected in the share price. 

I for one can not be any more excited about what the future will bring in terms of Apple problem-solving products. It will be amazing.

• Reply 93 of 225

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Android devices have clearly better hardware specs than iPhones,

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!

Clearly

Better

• Reply 94 of 225
    jungmark wrote: »
    Like how Android is winning?

Winning what exactly? There's absolutely nothing to win, which is why don't get into the whole winning arguments. There is no endgame, no piling up on the pitcher's mound, no trophies, no rings. How many companies were 'King of the Hill' and had 'won' no longer exist?
  • Reply 95 of 225
    hydr wrote: »
    Well written article. It´s important to realize that Apple never was a marketshare leader. The IOS ecosystem is progressing just fine. 
    Apple continue to win customers due to a multitude of reasons, but the main reason is and will always be software. They are simply developing the best code, and hence success follows. 

As for what the future will brings, time will tell. But the majority of Apples investments in the last 2-3 years have not gone to simply create an updated version of the ipad/iphone. I am absolutely certain they are making revolutionary progress on key "problems" we face, but as always they are keeping their cards secret until point of release. The Apple company has never been as healthy as it is right now, and this is not reflected in the share price. 

I for one can not be any more excited about what the future will bring in terms of Apple problem-solving products. It will be amazing.

What are these 'problems' you speak of?
  • Reply 96 of 225
    [quote name="hill60" url="/t/157362/editorial-apples-ios-is-the-new-windows/90#post_2322011"]
    [URL=http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_ascend_y100-4839.php]Bwahahahahahahaha!!![/URL]

Undeniably bigger better and more powerful !!:
  • Reply 97 of 225

Quote:

...People are making money with the help of Android...

...Microsoft with IP licensing,..

...Since Android is free...

Does not compute.

• Reply 98 of 225
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

You were probably thinking of "tablet" market share. Apple's share is actually slipping.

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24093213

Not worth the paper it's printed on.

Wait, it's not even....

• Reply 99 of 225

Quote:

Samsung is a vertically integrated company, so it is its own supplier,

Qualcomm is doing quite nicely out of the S4 LTE version, the one with the same cpu as HTC, LG and others are using, Samsung overclock it to get a slight performance edge.

• Reply 100 of 225

Quote:

Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

iOS will never reach the sort of ubiquity that Windows represents because Apple does not license iOS.

That sounds like a great idea, resurrect the actions that almost destroyed Apple in the nineties.

If only Apple licensed out iOS.