New York authorities ask Apple, Google to help stop smartphone thefts

Comments

• Reply 61 of 85
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    No where they lived was Brooklyn but the Queens border isn't far and the McDowell's was actually a Wendy's on Queens Blvd. The inaccuracies in NYC movies is hilarious to me, they rarely get it right. The train chase scene in The Taking of Pelham 123 being one of the worst.

I don't think it's their intention to be wrong. The amount of planning for locations can get obscene. Sometimes they pay for the expense, like the scenes with Tom Cruise in Vanilla Sky (2001), but usually the cost seems like an attempt for viral publicity when they go all out. I spent enough time in the Hollywood area of LA that I notice locations that are out of whack on TV shows from time to time. I seem to recall in Terminator (1984) that Schwarzenegger appears in one area and in the next seen is at the Griffith Observatory where he fights punks with a switchblade, which I assume is homage to Rebel Without a Cause (1955).

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 62 of 85
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    christophb wrote: »
    I'd like to visit that barber shop and catch the next gig of Sexual Chocolate.

That boy is good! Lol
  • Reply 63 of 85
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

False.  Worrying about stolen phones has been a concern for a long time, especially since the earliest smartphones were mostly used by business people.

These were considerably more challenging to steal though, yes?

• Reply 64 of 85
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I don't think it's their intention to be wrong. The amount of planning for locations can get obscene. Sometimes they pay for the expense, like the scenes with Tom Cruise in Vanilla Sky (2001), but usually the cost seems like an attempt for viral publicity when they go all out. I spent enough time in the Hollywood area of LA that I notice locations that are out of whack on TV shows from time to time. I seem to recall in Terminator (1984) that Schwarzenegger appears in one area and in the next seen is at the Griffith Observatory where he fights punks with a switchblade, which I assume is homage to Rebel Without a Cause (1955).

No I understand, the scene called for police cars to chase the train almost to Coney Island but the problem with that is the train runs very little on a elevated track. So they had to find a longer stretch of el to film.
  • Reply 65 of 85
    pridonpridon Posts: 81member
    You can disable cars with a system called LoJack, but it is not a required part of a car. If it was it would cut down on thefts and ease the work of law enforcement. However, car companies dealers wouldn;t lie it. For every unrecovered stolen vehcle, there is another vehicle sales. Likely the reason the cell phone operators wee slow. Lost ohone may mean another sale and an eearly termination fee.
  • Reply 66 of 85
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    pridon wrote: »
    You can disable cars with a system called LoJack, but it is not a required part of a car. If it was it would cut down on thefts and ease the work of law enforcement. However, car companies dealers wouldn;t lie it. For every unrecovered stolen vehcle, there is another vehicle sales. Likely the reason the cell phone operators wee slow. Lost ohone may mean another sale and an eearly termination fee.

Or less Machiavellian, distributing the cost of such a 'feature' as standard impacts most of the consumers that aren't at much risk at all isn't good business. Perhaps those at risk purchase a private property insurance policy that covers smartphone loss.
  • Reply 67 of 85
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Well I've long since stopped caring who is who or wasting my time tracking them.  I guess you are implying that you think DaHarder and TECKSTUD are the same person? Or that you are the same person?  It doesn't really matter either way.  

The list is the list.  If someone acts like a complete asshole (IMO of course), or is someone who isn't interested in a civilised argument or debate, they go on the list.  I don't clean off the list or try to figure out if there are doubles.  The list is actually too long to fit in my sig, so there are more people in it than are visible.  

The only reason I put it in my sig is that the previous anti-religion message got me a lot of flak and there was a short period where so many meanies joined the forum ("Flaneur" etc.), that I was updating it every day.  I've no doubt that most of them are not even here anymore since trolls generally don't last.  

Interestingly, there is no one on my list that hasn't at some point or other revealed themselves to be male.   image

I certainly am neither "TEK" nor "Da"... I tangled with them in the past and always wondered if they were the same person.

• Reply 68 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Did you write that in the 70s? NYC is one of the safest cities in the US.

Depends on exactly which crimes one is referencing I suppose, but if you pore over this data...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

...you'll see that NY crimes are generally lower compared to other major cities with more than 250,000 people, but the murder rate is no better than Fort Worth, Texas, and in terms of violent crime overall New York ranks 40th.

Another stat to consider is that populations are shrinking as Boomers die off and there are fewer Gen-X and Y to replace them. This also has an effect on crime since there are simply fewer people around who actually commit "crimes".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrinking_cities_in_the_USA

Look at the right-hand chart of "Historical Population of the United States" and look at the clear trend lines. Population growth and the so-called "replacement rate" has fallen precipitously in the past 3 years. Fewer people, fewer crimes.

• Reply 69 of 85
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

As soon as I work out the battery drain problem my iTaser app is going to make me millions.

• Reply 70 of 85
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Modern day hippie is close enough. 

Is hipster a derogatory term or do they embrace it as a culture?

• Reply 71 of 85
    lazollazol Posts: 20member
    Gun regulations that have harmed the legal protection of property and persons by the citizens of New York have allowed the criminal underclass to grow as fast as the NY rat and cockroach population.
    Are you serious?
    I mean: do you REALY believe what you wrote?
    What about the rest of the word? Why they don't have as many criminals and guns?
    Why can they live in a peaceful society, without blowing out each others brain in the name of protecting of property?
    Again: are you serious?
  • Reply 72 of 85
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Maybe they could secretly send thousands of iPhones to the black market and then track how many crimes they are used to commit. They can call it 4G and Furious, or iPhone and Furious. 

I'm surprised that he didn't suggest that Apple just lower the price causing a corresponding drop in resale value as the answer. Then again, I suppose if you are a crack head and you only need $20 for your next hit you don't care if the item you are stealing was $600 or $200 so long as you get your $20. And if the resale value drops then you need to steal twice as many to support your habit. 

If you legalized certain things that are currently illegal the the street gangs would not profit unfairly off the insanely high prices of the product, but instead the elected gangs could profit off the insanely high taxation of those same products. 

• Reply 73 of 85
    mstone wrote: »
    Is hipster a derogatory term or do they embrace it as a culture?

Smelly, unbathed, and unkempt would be derogatory :lol:
  • Reply 74 of 85
    Depends on exactly which crimes one is referencing I suppose, but if you pore over this data...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

...you'll see that NY crimes are generally lower compared to other major cities with more than 250,000 people, but the murder rate is no better than Fort Worth, Texas, and in terms of violent crime overall New York ranks 40th.

Another stat to consider is that populations are shrinking as Boomers die off and there are fewer Gen-X and Y to replace them. This also has an effect on crime since there are simply fewer people around who actually commit "crimes".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrinking_cities_in_the_USA

Look at the right-hand chart of "Historical Population of the United States" and look at the clear trend lines. Population growth and the so-called "replacement rate" has fallen precipitously in the past 3 years. Fewer people, fewer crimes.

It's pretty good when the murder rate of a city with 8+ million is comparable to a city the fraction of it's size, and the population of NYC hasn't dropped since the 70s.
  • Reply 75 of 85

n?u làm ???c th? thì t?t quá.ng??i s? d?ng không lo b? m?t tr?m n?a

• Reply 76 of 85
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, it's called "Find My iPhone"... Ever heard of it?

As others have said, it doesn't always work. A friend of mine arrived home to discover he'd misplaced his iPhone while he was out. He immediately tried Find and just got a "Can't be found" message. Whoever found it had either shut it off or immediately wiped it. He said he wasn't out long enough for the battery to have died, so it seems his was found by someone who knew how to hide it.

He kept trying every hour or so for the first day then every few hours the next and never found it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skleiniv View Post

My friend was brutally attacked when she tried to hang onto to her iPhone.

Quote:

Maybe the brazen beating wouldn't have happened had she not resisted.

Maybe, but sometimes it doesn't matter. Another friend of mine was just walking down the street when some nut case walked up and smashed him in the side of the head. When he came to he still had his wallet but his iPhone was gone. I'm pretty sure he would have been willing to surrender the phone to prevent the concussion, but he didn't get to choose.

• Reply 77 of 85
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Bonner View Post

I do like that he asked.

really? how about common fucking sense?

• Reply 78 of 85
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Gun regulations that have harmed the legal protection of property and persons by the citizens of New York have allowed the criminal underclass to grow as fast as the NY rat and cockroach population.

Total b.s. Serious crime in NYC is at its lowest level in 40 years. Thefts are up, but it's mostly phones and pads.
  • Reply 79 of 85
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

really? how about common fucking sense?

1. Why is it common sense that a company should do the job of a city?

2. Why should a company do the job of a city?

3. What makes you think they haven't "helped" already?

• Reply 80 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigelian View Post

The ability to resell stolen phones at a profit is a risk to all of us. Here in the bay area the new strategy is the blitz mugging. That is you punch the target out and the ask them to hand over the phone. A good friend of mine has been a victim of two such attacks. The problem is partly a responsibility of the carriers. They apparently have some ability to block a phone from its network that has been stolen. Apparently the carriers in Australia block such access which resulted in a substantial reduction in phone thefts. http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/nevius/article/An-easy-way-to-curb-smart-phone-thieves-2344797.php

Undermining this to some degree is the fact that a good number of phones stolen here are shipped outside the country, however at the margin it should have a positive impact.

"Blitz mugging"? I think an openly armed populace would quickly counter that threat.