Square shows off new hardware stand that turns iPad into a register

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 37
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by commoncents View Post



    When can I add one for my Nexus tablet or Kindle Fire...HD of course??


     


    POS software is popular on any kind of tablet.  E.g. AccuPOS:


     



     


     


    Quote:


    And how about the cash register accessories? Do they have those for my tablets?



     


    Sure. Printers, cash registers, barcode scanners, etc are available for just about any kind of computer ever made. from PDAs to PCs.  It's a popular accessory market segment.


     


    Tablets are attractive because of their low entry price, but of course PCs are undoubtedly still the most popular base device.  Easier to get comprehensive restaurant, inventory management and payroll software, printers, ethernet connections to prevent snooping, etc.

  • Reply 22 of 37


    That's the same in Canada. Magnetic strips are being replaced with smart chips and PIN numbers to reduce fraud.

  • Reply 23 of 37
    kung fu guykung fu guy Posts: 158member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bruce Ketchum View Post


    That's the same in Canada. Magnetic strips are being replaced with smart chips and PIN numbers to reduce fraud.



     


    Square is not thinking ahead!  Chips and pin is the future or present.  They'll have to redesign it.

  • Reply 24 of 37
    irelandireland Posts: 17,794member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post



    Apple needs to buy Square already. You want iWallet, a huge, key piece is right there before your eyes. Square plus iOS hardware plus iTunes accounts = Apple instantly out in front of the mobile processing game by miles.


     


    I've been saying this for a while. I literally think Apple should buy both Square and Twitter.

  • Reply 25 of 37
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,016member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post



    $300 is a little steep for a still-niche product. All it is is a plastic weighted iPad stand with its magnetic reader. The reader itself is less than $100




    Man... such an amazing business sense you have.  It's a wonder why Apple (or anyone else) hasn't snatched you up to run a company yet!

  • Reply 26 of 37
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,814member
    IPad=$400
    Cash Register=$2000-10 years of tech
    Well that was better
  • Reply 27 of 37
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Apple buying the two squares (Square and Foursquare) would be an excellent use of their billions in the bank.

    And the resulting company would be a separate entity called 'Fivesquare'?

    ;)
  • Reply 28 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTR View Post





    And the resulting company would be a separate entity called 'Fivesquare'?



    image


     


    ...Or Apple(squared).

  • Reply 29 of 37
    totemstotems Posts: 17member
    No shit, my cousin Xavier Shay works for square. He's tight lipped about anything business though
  • Reply 30 of 37
    paxman wrote: »
    Yes, Apple should buy Square and re-invent mobile payment by lowering the tariff by half. Not sure how Square processes the transactions but merchant banking is very expensive. Some companies make money from each transaction... a LOT of money. Apple would be doing it to sell devices. 
    Actually the rates are not bad, especially if you do a very limited amount of transaction or a very large amount of transactions. For very small businesses or individuals there is the advantage of no monthly fee. For businesses doing a large amount of transactions there is the advantage of the $275 monthly cap on fees. As far as processing the transactions, my receipts land in my checking account the next business day - automatically!
  • Reply 31 of 37
    john_l_ukjohn_l_uk Posts: 59member
    I don't know if it's currently used in the US but all our cards in the UK are 'chip and pin' so it would need some kind of input device to take off here. The iPad screen could take a numerical code (pin number) but entry has to be discrete and secure!
  • Reply 32 of 37
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member


    Apple could probably buy any company with Square in their name (add Squarespace) and do pretty well.


     


    I don't get this stand. It'd be cheaper and better to just have the card dongle attached to an iPad and hand it to the customer to sign (as they do where I buy coffee).


     


    Gruber also reported that it's 30-pin connector only. If that's true, not too forward looking.


     


    Still, love the company. I wonder how they got my email addy at my coffee shop....probably sucked it off my card profile (though didn't know I had one).

  • Reply 33 of 37
    chiachia Posts: 712member


    Originally Posted by stniuk View Post

    I don't know if they sell them here but in the UK the swipe thing is dead it's all smart chip and pin cards here.Originally Posted by Kung Fu Guy View Post




    Square is not thinking ahead!  Chips and pin is the future or present.  They'll have to redesign it.


     


    iZettle and payleven are equivalent services which offer chip and pin devices in Europe including the UK.


     


    At best, Square is trailing behind or at worst, has conceded the European market to its competitors.

  • Reply 34 of 37
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    Yes, Apple should buy Square and re-invent mobile payment by lowering the tariff by half. Not sure how Square processes the transactions but merchant banking is very expensive. Some companies make money from each transaction... a LOT of money. Apple would be doing it to sell devices. 





    Why do you say that? Credit card companies normally charge at least 2.5%, and I suspect this includes credit card processing. I'm thinking of smaller business rates. Larger ones probably pay lower percentages.

  • Reply 35 of 37
    redgeminiparedgeminipa Posts: 554member


    As much as I hate PayPal (and eBay), I've been using them instead of Square. They offer 2.7% for swiped transactions, and the funds are available immediately via the PayPal debit card or using an ATM. When using the debit card, you can earn 1% cash back on eligible purchases. If you use an ATM, they charge $1. 


     


    They PayPal Here card reader also appears to be more reliable. 


     


    Granted, PayPal hasn't jumped into quite the game Square has when it comes to a near-full POS solution, but it's great for casual use. 

  • Reply 36 of 37
    diplicationdiplication Posts: 609member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post


    As much as I hate PayPal (and eBay), I've been using them instead of Square. They offer 2.7% for swiped transactions, and the funds are available immediately via the PayPal debit card or using an ATM. When using the debit card, you can earn 1% cash back on eligible purchases. If you use an ATM, they charge $1. 


     


    They PayPal Here card reader also appears to be more reliable. 


     


    Granted, PayPal hasn't jumped into quite the game Square has when it comes to a near-full POS solution, but it's great for casual use. 



    Although I use them for eBay and some online shopping, I don't like trusting PayPal with all of my cash flow.  I prefer to deal with a local bank - if I have a problem, I can talk face to face with people that know me and want to keep my business.  How long does it take to get money received through PayPal into your bank account?  Last I remember it was about five days, although it might have changed.  Also as a merchant they wanted to charge me $30 a month whether I had any transactions or not.  

  • Reply 37 of 37


    Is this new Square design patent?


     


    If so what is the patent number?

Sign In or Register to comment.