Revamped, cross-platform Google Hangouts app competes with Apple's iMessages, FaceTime [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    huffcw wrote: »
    Not if you are on an iPad. It would be great to have cross platform - or as an alternative free integrated SMS through the web (like Google provides for free with Google Voice) - on iPad.

Just tell your friends to get an iDevice. Most of my friends have iDevices and the ones who don't are left out of things. :)
  • Reply 42 of 63
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member

Everything I read that Google announced doesn't excite me. Am I missing something? The CEO talks about big innovations, but I just don't see them.

Self-driving car...innovative. A Pandora clone...nope. A Skype clone...nope. The rest...nope.

• Reply 43 of 63
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gprovida View Post

Sounds like competition with MS Skype as well on iOS.

Don't forget Blackberry messenger, rumoured to be coming soon.

• Reply 44 of 63
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,989member
    At next Googlefest Larry Page will come out in 501s, a black turtleneck, and New Balance gray tennies. When asked, he will reply that such an outfit is so obvious that anyone could logically develop it independently.
  • Reply 45 of 63
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,481member
    jdnc123 wrote: »
    I own a ton of stock and am unhappy.

As I predicted awhile back, Google just surpassed the value of Apple for first time since iPhone was released in 2007. Nice job Tim Cook!
    Google is not even close to Apple in value. Google is 303 Billion, Apple is 402 Billion as of 20 minutes ago. Apple is more valuable than all other companies but Exxon Mobile at 405 Billion
  • Reply 46 of 63
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

A better name would be Google Messages

I'm actually surprised it wasn't called GMessage.

• Reply 47 of 63
    ealvarezealvarez Posts: 88member
    A thing is sure, allowing Hangout on the App Store is not the act of a "closed" ecosystem!
  • Reply 48 of 63
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Google is so far ahead of Apple in software that it is embarrassing.  Literally seems like varsity team (GOOG) playing versus the jv team (Apple).  

What exactly are Apple software engineers doing these days?  

Shut up and go away.

• Reply 49 of 63
    facetedfaceted Posts: 15member

I hope iMessages is fleshed out a little in iOS 7. I would really like to be able to name groups of contacts for example as it seems you can do in this app.

• Reply 50 of 63
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple must go all in and attack search and online advertising in a huge way. Go for the soft underbelly, Apple!

Apple should buy Twitter.
  • Reply 51 of 63
    Trying to take iChat for smartphones huh? Apple found better ways 3 years ago.

Cross platform for iMessage. This is what Apple needs.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    addicted44 wrote: »
    This. I can honestly browse webpages faster on my ancient ORIGINAL iphone, than the Galaxy S3. Stuff like transitions happening in sequence, rather than simultaneously, make the S3 seem slower even if an exact stopwatch time test might show it to be marginally faster.

Apple has done a fantastic job with iOS. Androids are trying to compensate with throwing bigger hardware at the problem.

OTOH, where Apple fails is:
    1) Building online services. iCloud is much better than its previous iterations, and in a world without Google, would be considered best of breed. However, Google does exist, and their online services are better.
    2) Platforms (not OSes). Apple's desire to limit its platforms to Apple devices severely limit their success. iMessage would have been the runaway leader in messaging if Apple had expanded it to Android/WP7/etc. OTOH, by providing a cross platform Hangout service, it will be very easy for Google to sweep in and take leadership in this role.

1) You should look at recent downtime reports. Google services downtime appears to be just a frequent despite offering their services to professional organizations for fees.
    2) Apple is likely not releasing the architecture of iMessage because of lawsuits against Apple.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,385member

Quote:

Google is so far ahead of Apple in software that it is embarrassing.  Literally seems like varsity team (GOOG) playing versus the jv team (Apple).  

What exactly are Apple software engineers doing these days?  

What a predictable and boring troll from the likes of you. 

Quote:

I own a ton of stock and am unhappy.

As I predicted awhile back, Google just surpassed the value of Apple for first time since iPhone was released in 2007. Nice job Tim Cook!

Noone gives a **** how unhappy you are about your stock. It's $40 higher than what it was a couple weeks ago. Sell all of it and move on to products not made by Apple. You've already admitted you believe Apple is embarrassingly behind in software, so why the **** are you still here? You hate their software, their hardware, the CEO, and the entire company, and constantly get giddy as **** with every negative story, while mocking every positive one. You're the worst kind of troll- the kind that claims they're "fans" of the company they so obviously despise. Get a life. 

But enough about you.

As for hangouts, it isn't competition to iMessage, not in the least. It doesn't even integrate with the SMS app in Android- it's simply yet ANOTHER messaging app that users need to download and use. iMessage is different because its unified with SMS so you dnt have to think about it, and if iMessage isn't available on the other side it will fall back to SMS. Hangouts cannot do this- it's either or. 

• Reply 54 of 63
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

1) You should look at recent downtime reports. 

How are you doing the comparison for the past month or more? Apple will only reveal the last three days.

• Reply 55 of 63
    ealvarez wrote: »
    A thing is sure, allowing Hangout on the App Store is not the act of a "closed" ecosystem!

What's wrong with a closed ecosystem?
  • Reply 56 of 63
    faceted wrote: »
    I hope iMessages is fleshed out a little in iOS 7. I would really like to be able to name groups of contacts for example as it seems you can do in this app.

That would be handy.
  • Reply 57 of 63
    [this forum software sucks)
  • Reply 58 of 63
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I do, which is why I use email.

No idea why they let blatant trolls say on the forum.

The guy hasn't had a single positive thing to say about Apple since he registered. Worse, not a single one of this critisisms is thoughtful, specific or constructive. It's all general jabs at just how terrible Apple as a company is, which makes me think he doesn't own or use any Apple products at all. Apparently all his hatred, anger, and vitriol stems from the stock price. It's not too tough to filter these kinds of people out, who try and sabotage every thread by vomiting out the same stuff, but apparently the mods couldn't care less about the quality of discussion on this forum and obvious trolls. 

• Reply 59 of 63
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    slurpy wrote: »
    The guy hasn't had a single positive thing to say about Apple since he registered. Worse, not a single one of this critisisms is thoughtful, specific or constructive. It's all general jabs at just how terrible Apple as a company is, which makes me think he doesn't own or use any Apple products at all. Apparently all his hatred, anger, and vitriol stems from the stock price. It's not too tough to filter these kinds of people out, who try and sabotage every thread by vomiting out the same stuff, but apparently the mods couldn't care less about the quality of discussion on this forum and obvious trolls. 

Couldn't agree more with the sentiment, but I'm suspicious of his motives. He says he has "a ton" invested in AAPL but yet he would risk, no certainly lose, whatever he has left by advocating the replacement of Tim Cook. He couldn't be dumb enough to think that AAPL would survive the toppling of the guy who has run the company competently if not brilliantly for the last ten years. I mean who could possibly replace him?

Suggesting Ive or Iger or whoever is insanely naive. He can't be that dumb, so I have to conclude that he's here trolling for dollars. The fact that he comes back here after three weeks off when Google I/O starts just adds to my suspicion.

There was an idea I had three weeks ago (before the earnings call when he was being completely destructive) to start a petition here to get him banned. Maybe I should revive that plan.
  • Reply 60 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

seriously, Dude?

I'm typing this on my Galaxsy S4 after 4 years of iPhones, and I can tell you confidently, and as a S/W developer, that Google has a long way to go.

Seriously, Dude? You should be complaining out Samsung.