Appletalk & Ethernet

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've got a Powermac with built in Ethernet,but the Ethernet option doesn't show up in the Appletalk Control Panel. I tried reinstalling OS 8.6 but that didn't help. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    This sounds like an important tech support question; so, I'm moving it to the <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=7"; target="_blank">Genius Bar</a>.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by sasquatch:

<strong>I've got a Powermac with built in Ethernet,but the Ethernet option doesn't show up in the Appletalk Control Panel. I tried reinstalling OS 8.6 but that didn't help. Any suggestions?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Have you tried using Extensions Manager control panel to start up with just MacOS 8.6 extensions?

Have you tried zapping your PRAM?

When you say you reinstalled do you mean that your performed a "clean install" or really just reinstalled over the old installation?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Try deleting appletalk prefs, they can be corrupted.

Be sure that appropriate extensions are on too. Like Apple Enet, Built-in ethernet, or other I can't remember.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I've tried everything mentioned so far and i still can't get appletalk to display an ethernet option. There is still only the modem or printer option available...no ethernet!

Could it maybe be an actual hardware problem,damage to the motherboard or ethernet connection? Is there any way to check this?

Thanks.