Curse of the Cube

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
A friend of mine has had the worst luck with his Cube for the last while ... constantly freezing in OS9. I was able to convince him to switch to OSX, which I put on his machine 5 days ago. I had to install it over OS9, because not all his stuff had been backed up. Everything was going great. This morning he calls saying all this "jibberish" is coming up .... his computer is starting in Verbos mode. I've gotta go over there in about 2 1/2 hours, so I was hoping someone could tell me what makes OSX boot in this mode. (besides holding down v key).

Besides installing on top of OS9 and bad ram ... are there any other reasons for this to happen?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    [quote]Originally posted by the cool gut:

<strong>A friend of mine has had the worst luck with his Cube for the last while ... constantly freezing in OS9. I was able to convince him to switch to OSX, which I put on his machine 5 days ago. I had to install it over OS9, because not all his stuff had been backed up. Everything was going great. This morning he calls saying all this "jibberish" is coming up .... his computer is starting in Verbos mode. I've gotta go over there in about 2 1/2 hours, so I was hoping someone could tell me what makes OSX boot in this mode. (besides holding down v key).

Besides installing on top of OS9 and bad ram ... are there any other reasons for this to happen?

Thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

The other way to start OS X up like this is by holding down "apple-key - S" (called, if I'm correct, single user mode). The reason why this happens always, however, is unknown to me.

What you can do: start up with apple -s pressed

then, once you are dropped at the command line,

there will be an indication of two commands you can enter. (/sbin/fsck -y) and another which I don't remember word by word now. (this to check your disk).

Run these.

If all goes well, type 'exit' (without quotes).

The OS should now start up regularly, in 'multi-user mode').

Hope this helps.