Apple's iPhone sales tactics in Europe under antitrust investigation

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It would be if that were the case, but really it's more like we're having a pool party, you weren't invited, and when you break and enter into our backyard you have the gall to act like you have anything remotely close to the right to be here.

Okay, first, get the hell over yourself. This is not some exclusive club and you're not some kind of special cognoscenti. It's a public forum that exists to expose advertising.

Second, I didn't write anything that indicted Apple. In fact, I was SUPPORTIVE of Apple's actions. Honestly, you guys are getting so bloody knee-jerk defensive that ANY comment that isn't effusive praise is viewed as condemnation. Lighten UP!

Yeesh.

• Reply 62 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

This is not some exclusive club…

Private forum. You don't like it, you either leave or are made to leave. The analogy holds.

• Reply 63 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

In any event, this one incident is not the same as v5v implying that such legal envelope-pushing was Apple's MO. Which is what I was responding to.

See? No reading comprehension whatsoever. Go back and read what I wrote again. I said Apple tries to negotiate deals that are well outside generally accepted boundaries, like for example, asking the music industry for a streaming rate that's half the lowest current rate, or changing the way books are traditionally sold. I also clearly stated that it's (obviously) what Apple SHOULD do. There was no value judgement whatsoever, neither positive nor negative. Purely observational. The only way you could get your nose out of joint is if you hit it with a fanboy apologist knee-jerk.

It's pointless to get into what constitutes "tends to" because no matter how many examples I cite, you'll just do what you did last time: ignore the specifics I cited and restate your original objection as if I'd never replied.

• Reply 64 of 74

Quote:

Private forum. You don't like it, you either leave or are made to leave. The analogy holds.

Whatever. It's here to sell ad space. Your being here sooner doesn't make you better, smarter or "righter." Or for that matter, even consistent. Sometimes your responses to me are agreeable and pleasant, then the moment you think I've been critical of Apple (even if I actually haven't) you circle the wagons and do that hand-waving, "Oh, it's just v5v" thing again. Insulting strangers on the internet from a position of anonymity is hardly what one expects from those presuming a position of superiority.

• Reply 65 of 74
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    v5v wrote: »
    See? No reading comprehension whatsoever. Go back and read what I wrote again. I said Apple tries to negotiate deals that are well outside generally accepted boundaries, like for example, asking the music industry for a streaming rate that's half the lowest current rate, or changing the way books are traditionally sold. I also clearly stated that it's (obviously) what Apple SHOULD do. There was no value judgement whatsoever, neither positive nor negative. Purely observational. The only way you could get your nose out of joint is if you hit it with a fanboy apologist knee-jerk.

It's pointless to get into what constitutes "tends to" because no matter how many examples I cite, you'll just do what you did last time: ignore the specifics I cited and restate your original objection as if I'd never replied.

Every person or company on earth tries to negotiate deals that are favourable to their own interests, some do it better than others, that's just the way things are.

encyclopaedias were sold using an agency model, dating back at least a hundred years, "traditional" enough for you?

There is nothing new under the sun.
  • Reply 66 of 74
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    v5v wrote: »
    Whatever. It's here to sell ad space. Your being here sooner doesn't make you better, smarter or "righter." Or for that matter, even consistent. Sometimes your responses to me are agreeable and pleasant, then the moment you think I've been critical of Apple (even if I actually haven't) you circle the wagons and do that hand-waving, "Oh, it's just v5v" thing again. Insulting strangers on the internet from a position of anonymity is hardly what one expects from those presuming a position of superiority.
    It's a losing battle dude, you're up against the force of irrational blind devotion. TS thinks he was "invited" here for some greater purpose.

I've blocked him, for my own sanity, I suggest you do the same. Outside of TS, and a couple like him, this can be a good forum.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    isaidso wrote: »
    I'll just never understand why Apple didn't become a carrier when it had the chance (screw their damn internet cloud server farms). They could have "owned" that 2008 wireless spectrum auction, if they had wanted to. Man... I'd have signed up for "Apple Mobile" in a nano second.

I think that's because it's impossible to create a network that lives up to their high standards. Just like haven't created a search engine. To be fair to Google, they have to work with what's available, meaning their results would be way better if all sites where based on a database template. Instead Google uses PageRank, most pointers to a website gets higher up in the search results list, which isn't the way to go, to me, but I digress.
  • Reply 68 of 74
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

I'll just never understand why Apple didn't become a carrier when it had the chance (screw their damn internet cloud server farms). 

"Early on, both sides determined it would be a bad idea for Apple to offer its own cellphone service, leasing access to Cingular's network.

"Even though Virgin Mobile USA and other startup cellphone operators were using that method with some success, Mr. Jobs was cautious. He viewed the cellphone business as an unforgiving one, where carriers are blamed for network problems and overwhelmed by customer complaints.

"Instead, he wanted to focus on building a good handset."

- "How Steve Jobs Played Hardball In iPhone Birth", Wall Street Journal, Feb 17, 2007

• Reply 69 of 74
    Well, having read the comments I can't make any sense.

So I'm guessing that the real joke is that the EU has to stand aside while the talking heads stop us from making sense.
  • Reply 70 of 74

Whatever.

So you lose. 

Your being here sooner doesn't make you better, smarter or "righter." 

Nice strawman.

• Reply 71 of 74
    umumumumumum Posts: 76member

crowley, and others, understand that largest troll has some serious personality problems, he gets a kick out of being obnoxious, hiding behind the safety of internet anonymity, it's best to just ignore him

i'm sure he'll post some pithy response to make himself feel good, that's how he is, he can't resist it, but as i never read responses to anything i post here he'll just be ranting impotently, as usual

have fun

• Reply 72 of 74

Quote:

So you lose. 

Conversations are win/lose?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nice strawman.

I really don't wanna get into a debate, but I wasn't changing the subject to claim victory. I was responding specifically to what you wrote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It would be if that were the case, but really it's more like we're having a pool party, you weren't invited, and when you break and enter into our backyard you have the gall to act like you have anything remotely close to the right to be here.

My response is that being here sooner doesn't bestow you with special privilege or status. My opinion matters as much as anyone's, including yours. You made a statement, I countered it. No scarecrows anywhere.

• Reply 73 of 74

I was responding specifically to what you wrote:

Dear mother of humanity, that's what you took away from the analogy?! image

• Reply 74 of 74

Quote:

Dear mother of humanity, that's what you took away from the analogy?! image

Yeah. Did I misunderstand? Fer cryin' out loud, I keep TELLING you I'm about a sharp as a sock full of pudding! Dumb, that is. Stoooopid as a stump.

Spell it out boy! Subtle doesn't work on the terminally thick.