When will Apple update the Macbook Pros and or the retinas?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was certain apple was going to update the MBPs. Unless Mac Buyers Guide is wrong, they last received an update in June 2012 and the 13'' retina is from October aside from a lame update in February. The airs are nice, but Im not sure if that is best for me.

My 2008 macbook keyboard broke in early May and Iv been holding out. How much longer? I'd hate to buy the June 2012 model and they get updated in mid July.

I was fully expecting to have a new MBP preordered by now :(

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,366moderator
    The problem seems to be the dual-core mainstream Haswell chips. I wonder if this is Intel's way of promoting Ultrabooks. They've only listed ULV i5s and i7s and quad i7s as being launched:

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/75024/4th-Generation-Intel-Core-i5-Processors/mobile
    http://ark.intel.com/products/family/75023/4th-Generation-Intel-Core-i7-Processors/mobile

I think the GPUs are available for the 15" - NVidia 750m or AMD 8790m, whichever they choose and the quads are available. So, it's really just the dual-core i5/i7. These have been reported here as ready to ship:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7021/introducing-the-dualcore-haswell-skus

None of those CPUs have the newer GPUs that Apple is using in the Airs though so maybe they are waiting for versions with 5000-series GPUs. I think a few models were listed as Q3, which starts in July but it may be as late as September. Tim really emphasized updates in the fall and throughout 2014.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I'd really hate to wait that long! :(
  • Reply 3 of 19

So..should I wait until fall to get one, or just take the plunge now? I'd sure hate to miss out on better battery life (via Haswell) and 802ac by getting a MBP 15 Retina now and not waiting a few more months.

• Reply 4 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by radionick28 View Post

I'd sure hate to miss out on better battery life (via Haswell) and 802ac by getting a MBP 15 Retina now and not waiting a few more months.

Doesn't that instantly answer your question?

• Reply 5 of 19

Well if I knew it was going to be a couple of months, I could probably temper my desire to get one for now. However, if it's going to be 2014 then I'll go ahead and get one now. I'm unfamiliar with the Mac product cycles as I'm a former PC guy used to building my own, so this is new territory for me.

• Reply 6 of 19

Well if I knew it was going to be a couple of months, I could probably temper my desire to get one for now. However, if it's going to be 2014 then I'll go ahead and get one now.

Heavens no, it won't be 2014. They can't afford to go that long without updates.

It's not like we're talking about the Mac Pro. image

• Reply 7 of 19

So then I'm waiting. I guess. 

• Reply 8 of 19
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,366moderator
    So then I'm waiting. I guess. 

Yeah, definitely not 2014 for the laptops - they are already past their usual update cycle. I'm not sure what Tim meant by mentioning 2014, I expect every model should be updated long before the end of 2013.
  • Reply 9 of 19

Is it me, or does Apple always leave out one expected upgrade from new models.. e.g..Macbook Air with no Retina. iPhone 5 with no (insert your favorite upgrade here), iMac without 802ac.. etc etc..

• Reply 10 of 19

iMac without 802ac.. etc etc..

Except they didn't update the iMac.

There will always be ten million features that Apple doesn't add. Idiots don't get to determine features. 

• Reply 11 of 19
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    majormatt wrote: »
    I was certain apple was going to update the MBPs. Unless Mac Buyers Guide is wrong, they last received an update in June 2012 and the 13'' retina is from October aside from a lame update in February. The airs are nice, but Im not sure if that is best for me.
    This years update to the Airs is pretty impressive, it has me thinking a bit harder about feasibility of the platform.
    My 2008 macbook keyboard broke in early May and Iv been holding out. How much longer? I'd hate to buy the June 2012 model and they get updated in mid July.
    There are several possibilities including the possibility of "in the fall". Why? Thunderbolt 2 is a possibility.
    I was fully expecting to have a new MBP preordered by now :(

Well that is obviously not going to happen. Time to wait!

By the way I'm rocking the same vintage MBP, with keyboard, sound port and display issues. I've learned to suffer and try to live with it. IPad has been great in that it handles much of what that MBP use to handle. Unfortunately when I do need the MBP I really need a good keyboard.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Marvin wrote: »
    The problem seems to be the dual-core mainstream Haswell chips. I wonder if this is Intel's way of promoting Ultrabooks. They've only listed ULV i5s and i7s and quad i7s as being launched:
    It could very well be Apple driving this. They seem to have a hit with the Airs and are keeping them bleeding edge.

I think the GPUs are available for the 15" - NVidia 750m or AMD 8790m, whichever they choose and the quads are available. So, it's really just the dual-core i5/i7. These have been reported here as ready to ship:
    I'm actually thinking TB2 is the hold up. TB2 would be a Rey worthwhile feature in the MBPs.

None of those CPUs have the newer GPUs that Apple is using in the Airs though so maybe they are waiting for versions with 5000-series GPUs. I think a few models were listed as Q3, which starts in July but it may be as late as September. Tim really emphasized updates in the fall and throughout 2014.
    At least a few listings I've seen indicate more Haswells in September.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member

The Haswell chips with Iris Pro graphics (Iris Pro 5100 for the 13" and Iris Pro 5200 for 15") are only sampling; they are not shipping yet.  Apple will ship the new rMBPs when Intel can supply sufficient quantities of suitable Haswell chips.

• Reply 14 of 19
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Well, the new Mac Pro has black styling .... Does is mean other pro products like the MBP will get black styling?
  • Reply 15 of 19
    majormatt wrote: »
    Well, the new Mac Pro has black styling .... Does is mean other pro products like the MBP will get black styling?

I would doubt that. Black doesn't work well for a portable device, especially one used exposed to sun. There are multiple issues here. One is thermal, black objects get hot in the sun. Another is that black anodizing breaks down under UV exposure. Finally scratches look like hell.
  • Reply 16 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I would doubt that. Black doesn't work well for a portable device, especially one used exposed to sun. There are multiple issues here. One is thermal, black objects get hot in the sun. Another is that black anodizing breaks down under UV exposure. Finally scratches look like hell.

Works well for the Thinkpad(IBM and now Lenovo) line of notebooks for over 20 years!  It all black!

• Reply 17 of 19
    chrisdfchrisdf Posts: 29member
    I'm waiting for a new MB Pro myself. Mine is a little old already. Hopefully, they will come out this year.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    chrisdf wrote: »
    I'm waiting for a new MB Pro myself. Mine is a little old already. Hopefully, they will come out this year.

I know nobody wants to hear this but I think they are waiting for TB2 and alternative notebook chips. Those notebook chips are due until late September from what I understand so it could be October before the new machines arrive.

Having put that into words Apple could deliver the new laptops after the July holiday. In the end it is guess work. My thoughts go like this, if they have to wait until September for the laptop chips they need why not wait until TB 2 is released? By that time it will only be a month or two.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This years update to the Airs is pretty impressive, it has me thinking a bit harder about feasibility of the platform.

The update is okay.  I wish that there was an option to run the machine faster since the benchmarks thus far show that the new MBA runs no faster (and sometimes slower) than the old MBA did CPU wise.

The only promising sign is that it provides 39fps at 1440x900 vs 21fps in the 2012 but thus far I have no seen good GPU benchmarks done.

"What is decidedly different, however, is the integrated HD 5000 graphics from Intel, a step above the HD 4000 in the previous Air. In our older Call of Duty 4 test (one of the few standard gaming benchmarks for OS X), at the native 1,440x900-pixel resolution, the game ran at 39.0 frames per second on the 2013 Air and 21.9 frames per second on the 2012 Air."

http://www.cnet.com/apple-macbook-air-13-inch/

Tantalizing but no details on settings on the actual benchmark page.

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/apple-macbook-air-13/4505-3121_7-35781451-2.html