High resolution images claim to show 'iPhone 5S' and iPhone 5 display assemblies side-by-side

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I don't understand the redesign of the ribbon cable. It takes significant resources to redesign and retool something. I see no benefit to this unless they are going to add another feature to the phone.

After taking my iPhone 5 apart to replace the microphone, it looks like the ribbon cable would have to reach farther for something.

They didn't just change the cable. They changed the layout of the PCB as was shown in another story a day or so ago. It looks like there are chips missing from the new design. They could have been integrated into the new SoC to improve battery life and lower over all costs. 

• Reply 22 of 50
    mad1at35mad1at35 Posts: 21member
    @poksi

I have an S3 and an iP5. IMHO both are too big, but if you are talking about what goes in the pocket easier, the S3 seems like trying to put a whale in your pocket in comparison to the iPhone.

You ideally need a coat pocket. It also feels too big in the hands. As to would I actually risk trying to put the S3 in my jean pockets? No as it feels really flimsy - you could snap the phone in two without too much pressure and a friend did crack his in his pocket.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    harmonharmon Posts: 48member

Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

1. Sure. Read my post above. Making 4x resolution on 4.6 demands something like 550dpi pixel. Not an easy one if you want to have quality screen. Current is 326dpi on iPhone 5 and only 264 on iPad4.

2. I thing Apple just needs to drop the numbers in the name, like they did iPad and Macs. I don't see a reason to change the case all over every year just to have it look differently. I have 4S, I am satisfied with gains over 4 and the same good case as well.

3. iPhone Cheaper will not be iPhone cheap. It will not devaluate the brand, it will make the brand stronger among those who feared the Apple being labeled as "expensive" and "overrated". many of them will later buy also a premium one. Many people considered macs before iPod as too expensive, but when they got their hands on iPod that had no match in price, they started to buy "overrated" macs as well..

4. I agree. I hope he does, but I understand it is not purely management decision. It's more technical.

Thanks for responding.

1.  I see no reason why Apple would wait for that high of a resolution.  We don't have that now so we cannot say that Apple thinks it is critical.  As long as the larger display meets their definition of a "retina display" they're good.  Apple even went non-retina for iPad Mini and has sold millions.  (Yes, I realize "retina" is a marketing term, but it is one Apple cannot easily get away from now even if they wanted to.)

2.  My point was not the naming scheme but the lack of a cosmetic difference.  The fact that you did not upgrade to the 5 proves my point.  Apple needs a significant segment of their customers to upgrade every year.  The overall look has not changed significantly since the 4 was introduced.  It's time for a refresh.  Many consumers, especially younger ones, are fickle and inpatient.

3.  I hope you are right, but I am not so sure.  You are talking Macs that cost thousands versus a consumer electronic devices that cost at most a few hundred dollars -- big difference.  I don't know many people who have a smartphone plan (which typically costs around $100/month) who cannot afford a $199 iPhone if they really want one.  Lot of difference between that buying a $2k-$3k Mac.

If the U.S. market was the only one to consider, I would say definitely do not make a cheaper iPhone.  However, with China, India, South America, etc in play, especially given the lack of carrier subsidies in much of the world, it becomes much harder to not build a cheaper iPhone in hopes of penetrating those markets.

4.  I still have not heard a technical reason for not including a 4.5"-ish retina display.  HTC has achieved 469 ppi in a 4.7" screen and Sony 441 ppi in a 5" screen both of which are significantly higher than the smaller 4" iPhone 5's 326 ppi.  I am confident that Apple can achieve a 326+ ppi  in a 4.5" screen with good color reproduction, etc.

• Reply 24 of 50
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    poksi wrote: »
    Apple will not release larger screen iPhone until high quality 4.6" - 4.7" screens can accommodate 4x resolution without yield problems. I surely hope this is prepared, because Apple is already giving a large market share to Samsung in premium class exclusively on account of screen size, because Samsung and in general Android "world" doesn't give a damn about developers, existing and future apps.

Do you honestly think that anyone would choose Android over iOS solely based on screen size, and that offering a larger screen iPhone would lure them back?

Android buyers fall into two general categories: 1) technically unsophisticated, budget-minded shoppers who buy whatever the incentivized salesperson recommends and 2) "tinkerers" who want to customize every minute detail of their device and care more about flashy specs than real world utility.

A larger screen iPhone will have zero effect on either of these groups.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    harmonharmon Posts: 48member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The 3GS wiped Palm Pre off the map. The Pre, sporting a fresh-faced new webOS, was getting all the buzz. And Apple killed it with the 3GS.

The race to inflate screen sizes reminds me a bit of the trend to put oversized wheels with lower-profile tires on cars. Apple got to 20-inch "dubs," and everyone else is sporting 22s and 23s, so now there's the expectation that unless Apple participates in size one-upmanship, they're losers.

You seem to forget that Apple just released their first 4" phone back in October. "Oh no! It's not big enough! Not next to the competition. I have screen size envy! Apple must keep up! Apple must play the game everyone else is playing! Just look at these pictures! The 4" iPhone 5 looks so tiny! Apple's losing to Samsung!"

I personally don't understand equating big screens with "premium-ness." In the 80s, the Japanese electronics manufacturers were all about miniaturizing portable electronics. Even today, thin-and-light Ultrabooks are considered premium.

I hear what you're saying.  I also do not think that Apple should get in a screen size war.  If they tried to one-up the Galaxy Note II, they would be encroaching on the iPad Mini.  I think the Mini serves that segment well.

To clarify, I do not think Apple should abandon the current 4" screen size but instead should provide a larger screen option for a price premium of $50 to $100 for those consumers who desire and are willing to pay for a larger screen.  There are plenty of people who will probably still by the smaller screen, but they are losing out on customers who want a larger screen.  Why lose out on those customers?  One size fits all worked well for awhile with the iPhone as it did with the original iPods and iPads, but that time has passed.

BTW, I did not forget about the 3.5" to 4" change, but given that they changed the aspect ratio to 16:9 it was not a significant increase in screen area.  If they had kept the original 3:2 aspect ratio with a 4" screen I believe there would be significantly less dissatisfaction with the current screen size.

• Reply 26 of 50
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad1at35 View Post

@poksi

I have an S3 and an iP5. IMHO both are too big, but if you are talking about what goes in the pocket easier, the S3 seems like trying to put a whale in your pocket in comparison to the iPhone.

You ideally need a coat pocket. It also feels too big in the hands. As to would I actually risk trying to put the S3 in my jean pockets? No as it feels really flimsy - you could snap the phone in two without too much pressure and a friend did crack his in his pocket.

S3 has different format thus being much bigger than iPhone 5 even with same diagonal. 4.6" iPhone would be slightly larger than current 4".

S3 is not meant ot be put in jeans pocket. People are putting them in every possible hole, purse, bag or otherwise, breaking them like eggs, being screwed by Samsung's service and still buying them. There must be something in this screen size that they are prepared to swallow crap like that...

• Reply 27 of 50
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

There wont be a 555ppi Display for the coming 5 years with yield that is good enough for Apple . So that is not going to happen.

"IF", Apple wanted to do a bigger screen size iPhone it is very likely to be the same resolution as the current one. Just like iPad Mini to iPad Non Retina, and the upcoming iPad Mini Retina to the Current iPad.

So by putting the same logic on to the larger screen iPhone, the current iPad has a 264 PPI. 264 PPI into 1136x640 would be about 5". ( 4.94").

Personally i dont think Apple will ever release a 5" iPhone.

• Reply 28 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

Thanks for responding.

1.  I see no reason why Apple would wait for that high of a resolution.  We don't have that now so we cannot say that Apple thinks it is critical.  As long as the larger display meets their definition of a "retina display" they're good.  Apple even went non-retina for iPad Mini and has sold millions.  (Yes, I realize "retina" is a marketing term, but it is one Apple cannot easily get away from now even if they wanted to.)

2.  My point was not the naming scheme but the lack of a cosmetic difference.  The fact that you did not upgrade to the 5 proves my point.  Apple needs a significant segment of their customers to upgrade every year.  The overall look has not changed significantly since the 4 was introduced.  It's time for a refresh.  Many consumers, especially younger ones, are fickle and inpatient.

3.  I hope you are right, but I am not so sure.  You are talking Macs that cost thousands versus a consumer electronic devices that cost at most a few hundred dollars -- big difference.  I don't know many people who have a smartphone plan (which typically costs around $100/month) who cannot afford a $199 iPhone if they really want one.  Lot of difference between that buying a $2k-$3k Mac.

If the U.S. market was the only one to consider, I would say definitely do not make a cheaper iPhone.  However, with China, India, South America, etc in play, especially given the lack of carrier subsidies in much of the world, it becomes much harder to not build a cheaper iPhone in hopes of penetrating those markets.

4.  I still have not heard a technical reason for not including a 4.5"-ish retina display.  HTC has achieved 469 ppi in a 4.7" screen and Sony 441 ppi in a 5" screen both of which are significantly higher than the smaller 4" iPhone 5's 326 ppi.  I am confident that Apple can achieve a 326+ ppi  in a 4.5" screen with good color reproduction, etc.

1. Unless aspect ratio is kept, all the apps are either skewed or the content stops fitting the screen or (the worse!!) all the apps must be exclusively adapted to such screen. believe me, I see what my colleagues on Android development have to do, when writing same app that should run on Galaxy Tab 2 and Nexus 7...poor bastards :)

2. I upgrade only every second year when my contract expires. I was always more comfortable with "s" versions, they are more finished product as "original". However, I agree marketing is a bitch, and youngsters can punish company if the spoiled brats don't get what they believe is inline with latest hype :)

3. I do strongly believe so.

4. They all use different screen technology. I haven't tested HTC, but SOny has really bad LCD, screwing colors and distorting resolution very hard.  I guess they don't bother too much with pixel yields and don't care too much about better screen. iPhone has by far better screen than Sony, Samsung AMoled'S are even uncomparable to Sony, they are really the crappiest stuff I've seen on such expensive device.

However, Apple is just Apple, they are prone to overdo everything, they just don't settle with less...

• Reply 29 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Do you honestly think that anyone would choose Android over iOS solely based on screen size, and that offering a larger screen iPhone would lure them back?

Android buyers fall into two general categories: 1) technically unsophisticated, budget-minded shoppers who buy whatever the incentivized salesperson recommends and 2) "tinkerers" who want to customize every minute detail of their device and care more about flashy specs than real world utility.

"Solely" and "exclusively" are too strong words, I fell into this trap, serves me right.  :))) But it is by far the biggest reason today. THe geeks you are describing were main buyers before. Samsung S has long gone become mainstream phone being used by people who customize nothing. They just want bigger screen. I know a lot of those...

• Reply 30 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

There wont be a 555ppi Display for the coming 5 years with yield that is good enough for Apple . 

So that is not going to happen.

"IF", Apple wanted to do a bigger screen size iPhone it is very likely to be the same resolution as the current one. Just like iPad Mini to iPad Non Retina, and the upcoming iPad Mini Retina to the Current iPad.

So by putting the same logic on to the larger screen iPhone, the current iPad has a 264 PPI. 264 PPI into 1136x640 would be about 5". ( 4.94").

Personally i dont think Apple will ever release a 5" iPhone.

How do you know that? I agree about 5" with 264 dpi. It won't happen in zillion years.

• Reply 31 of 50
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

(1) Can someone explain why Apple can buy and integrate 9.7" retina displays in the iPad and will presumably do the same with a 7.9" retina display in the iPad Mini 2 later this year but cannot procure a 4.5"-ish retina display in iPhone. Perhaps there is a legit reason, but I don't see it.

Tim Cook's explanations about color quality, white balance, reflectivity, etc. sound mostly like excuses not actual insurmountable technological issues. Yes, I understand battery life could be an issue but with more screen real estate comes more room for a larger battery. My iPad mini screen is much bigger but its battery life is much better than my iPhone 5.

The problem is the software, Apple are now enforcing their Autolayout for all apps submitted to the store, and the newer UI makes the whole thing easier to resize for all devs.

Your point about the S series is correct, they seem pretty confident though - I bet there is something in the 5S which will be a "game changer"

• Reply 32 of 50
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Here's hoping for an iPhone mini and iPhone.

Let's get rid of the iPhone 5S name. Soon people start craving for iPhone 6 …

• Reply 33 of 50
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Yes people choose Samsung phones over iPhones because of bigger screens. ( with screen sizes you can't really talk about OS differences so its not an iOS vs Android thing).

The evidence is in Europe and elsewhere, Samgsung massively increased it's market with these phones. People like them.

• Reply 34 of 50
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

How do you know that? I agree about 5" with 264 dpi. It won't happen in zillion years.

Because that is just how technology works. Even IGZO have taken 3 years before the public got attention of it. And it will take another 2 years for it to be fully developed before it can be "mass" produced. And this time mass produced is different as before there isn't a single product in history that sells as fast and as many  iPhone. The current IGZO limit is around 500PPI. There may be improvement that could makes it higher, again, at least not in the coming 3 - 5 years

Not to mention it simply doesn't make sense to create a 550ppi display that will eat up even more battery. Display is already the number one energy consumption in iPhone. And you need a much more powerful GPU to drive it.

• Reply 35 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Because that is just how technology works. Even IGZO have taken 3 years before the public got attention of it. And it will take another 2 years for it to be fully developed before it can be "mass" produced. And this time mass produced is different as before there isn't a single product in history that sells as fast and as many  iPhone. The current IGZO limit is around 500PPI. There may be improvement that could makes it higher, again, at least not in the coming 3 - 5 years

Not to mention it simply doesn't make sense to create a 550ppi display that will eat up even more battery. Display is already the number one energy consumption in iPhone. And you need a much more powerful GPU to drive it.

it makes sense what you are saying, but the timeframe seems too long IMHO. I believe it will happen earlier, but I agree, that if current limit is known to be 500dpi, there is no way to see mass produced iPhones with 550dpi very soon. Sounds crazy, but it seems that slightly lower resolution in iPhone 4 would be very helpful now...

I'm playing with the thought that something like that can happen, where cheaper iPhone could have lower dpi count (let's say around 220 dpi) versus bigger iPhone of double the dpi thus forming new, 3rd iOS form factor.

I agree with battery and GPU constraints, but Apple will have to overcome that eventually for other purposes as well. THey are not alone in this game, you know...

• Reply 36 of 50
    erannerann Posts: 38member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Unlike Samsung, which seems to have the every niche covered from 2.8" to 8" screens, in 0.2" increments. Just in case they missed a niche.

I remember reading that long, long time ago there was a mobile phone company which actually covered every niche. I think the name started with "N". Wonder what happened to that company...

• Reply 37 of 50

Quote:

I will have whatever you are smoking.

• Reply 38 of 50
    abobrekabobrek Posts: 31member
    While all of you are talking about imaginary wants, I would like to talk about what this article has presented. I think we just MAY actually get a fingerprint sensor on the 5S. Notice the small hole on the backside of the "5S" on the right side of the home button, it is not present on the backside of the 5. Also, notice the shape change of the indentation on the left side near the home button on the "5S" compared to the 5, It appears a part will fit there (I don't know what it is, I am not an expert in iPhone breakdowns).
  • Reply 39 of 50
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Yes people choose Samsung phones over iPhones because of bigger screens. ( with screen sizes you can't really talk about OS differences so its not an iOS vs Android thing).

The evidence is in Europe and elsewhere, Samgsung massively increased it's market with these phones. People like them.

And yet the iPhone 5 still outsells them all, even 8 or 9 months after its release. Samsung bragged about the GS4s sales numbers initially, but things have seemed to have cooled off since. Screen size is a factor for some people, but not for most or Apple would not be selling as many as they are especially with such a "stale" "outdated" OS. If Apple was on China Mobile, they would be selling even more and talk of the mythical cheap iPhone would not carry such weight. I'm sure they are experimenting with larger screens and may even sell them in a year or two, but the screen size is not the main driver for sales and they know this.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    freediverx wrote: »

Yes. An older (45) guy at our office got a note because he wanted to be able to read Facebook and other crap while he was "working" in the back. So- I'm not sure how many switch just because of screen size- but at least one. And everyone who picks a note over the S3/S4 obviously do it for just the size also- seeing as its the same price, but worse specs- relatively speaking.