Steve Jobs discusses his legacy in rare 1994 video interview

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

And those who are standing higher will look down at the previous layers of sediment and say:

"It was natural evolution. Stop being a bully in court.".

That is nonsense.

If Apple takes to court, which is impartial btw, a small company that steals its IP, it will be the case.

Samsung and others Android/Windows Cartel members are NOT small players.

• Reply 22 of 37
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

That is nonsense.

If Apple takes to court, which is impartial btw, a small company that steals its IP, it will be the case.

Samsung and others Android/Windows Cartel members are NOT small players.

I like the cut of your jib.

• Reply 23 of 37

Quote:

I like the cut of your jib.

Yeah, like deep pocket corporations battle in court makes you sour.

• Reply 24 of 37
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by architecton View Post

Assuming there are still humans in the 23rd century and that technological evolution remains linear then future computer scientists, at least, will be taught about the accomplishments of Steve Wozniak and Douglas Engelbart. They pretty much invented the personal computer and the GUI. As for Steve, I'm sure he'll get a paragraph there somewhere for his vision and drive for innovation in the consumer segment. I don't expect any of the M$ or Google guys to be remembered at all as their contributions so far have been close to nil. image

This is a typical response from someone who looks at the world thru the tinted lens of tech. The study of Steve Jobs and Apple will probably be a required course in every business school in the world. Jobs' philosophy of design, the merging of technology and liberal arts will be taught in social studies classes. People like yourself don't "get" Steve Jobs. Actually, you are incapable of getting Steve Jobs because you can't see the other side of technology. You are completely blind to it.

• Reply 25 of 37
    ochyming wrote: »

Yeah, like deep pocket corporations battle in court makes you sour.

Are you familiar with the expression "I like the cut of your jib"?

You can look it up, if you wish. I'll stand over here next to this elephant and wait while you do.

lkrupp wrote: »
    This is a typical response from someone who looks at the world thru the tinted lens of tech. The study of Steve Jobs and Apple will probably be a required course in every business school in the world. Jobs' philosophy of design, the merging of technology and liberal arts will be taught in social studies classes. People like yourself don't "get" Steve Jobs. Actually, you are incapable of getting Steve Jobs because you can't see the other side of technology. You are completely blind to it.

Great minds think alike, ikrupp, and I like the way you think.
  • Reply 26 of 37

Quote:

Are you familiar with the expression "I like the cut of your jib"?

You can look it up, if you wish. I'll stand over here next to this elephant and wait while you do.

Great minds think alike, ikrupp, and I like the way you think.

Oh, i know irony, i think.

Should i write thought?

• Reply 27 of 37
    Your irony skills are excellent!

However, you may have to work on your sarcasm detection skills: I utterly agree with you.

My original statement was sarcastic.

;)
  • Reply 28 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

These types of fools are not even worthy of a response, let alone a serious response. ;-)

Agreed. :) 

• Reply 29 of 37

What Steve did is a bit more profound than "oh hey, look at this whiz bang computer"  If that was all he had accomplished then he would be written off in 10 years just as he said he would be.  And he will likely not be remembered for his tech or even lifestyle contributions for very long.

What he will be remembered for is what he did in business.  Turning around a company from near death to the worlds most valuable company in its industry is something that is likely to be studied, dissected and taught in business schools all over the world as new generations of entrepreneurs seek to recreate that success.  That is much more than a blip in history or a paragraph in an industry.

But, anyone commenting today on how Steve will be remembered (including this post) is talking gibberish because only time will truly tell.

• Reply 30 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Because history is rarely taught anymore. Kids today don't even know that a potato is a vegetable, not a french fry.

Potato is a tuber.

Edit: I just read up on it and it can be considered a vegetable as well since the word vegetable is a very loosely defined term that includes virtually all consumable parts of a plant. Fruits are not consider to be vegetables.

• Reply 31 of 37
    chickchick Posts: 35member
    "I don't agree with Steve, which is rare. Anyone that receives a decent education will learn that much of the computer equipment they are using was possible because of Steve Jobs, just as the electricity they are using was possible because of Thomas Edison and the vehicle they drive everyday was because of Henry Ford."

I think the above proves Steve's point. Edison did not give us the electricity we use today. He did everything he could to stop it. He pushed DC distribution. If you want to credit someone for today's electricity let's go with Tesla and Westinghouse. As for Ford, his contribution was the assembly line, not anything special about the automobile per se. So we owe to Ford almost anything mass produced on an assembly line. All these inventors did not exist in isolation, they developed on top of previous researches and inventions.. Yes, Westinghouse left Tesla a virtual pauper by not paying the royalities on the AC generator that Tesla invented but Tesla allowed that to happen because of his vision of an electricity and its uses.

Steve's place in history? Well let's let the future decide. I certainly think he will be remembered, I just don't know exactly what that will be.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    chick wrote: »
    I just don't know exactly what that will be.

At least it won't be what you're thinking. Pretending Steve didn't have direct personal influence on how the fledgling technology was founded is kidding yourself.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    I don't agree with Steve, which is rare. Anyone that receives a decent education will learn that much of the computer equipment they are using was possible because of Steve Jobs, just as the electricity they are using was possible because of Thomas Edison and the vehicle they drive everyday was because of Henry Ford.

No no no, on the part of Henry Ford and Steve Jobs. There were thousands of people involved on cars & technology, don't know about electricity ...
  • Reply 34 of 37
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    They can study Jobs as long as they want, the ppl who get it will never be put in his position and the people who will be put in his position will never get it.
    The very process of making a career, going to business school, etc. is the antithesis of the process that produces the kind of thinking he displayed in action.
    Corporations make safe choices, they want degrees, certificates, consensus, focus groups, market studies, bean counting.
    They are penny wise and pound foolish when it comes to product design and rather try to win in court, by lobbying, through industry alliances, etc.
    The old G.B.Shaw quote comes to mind:
    "The reasonable man adjusts himself to the world, the unreasonable man tries to adjust the world to himself; therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    Jobs like many children was "unreasonable", professional business people pride themselves being the most reasonable of men. Need one say more?
  • Reply 35 of 37
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I don't agree with Steve, which is rare. Anyone that receives a decent education will learn that much of the computer equipment they are using was possible because of Steve Jobs, just as the electricity they are using was possible because of Thomas Edison and the vehicle they drive everyday was because of Henry Ford.

Anyone with a decent education knows that when the time is right, advances will take place (barring any religious or other dampening interference).

Assembly lines were coming with or without Ford.  Electric light even if Edison had never lived.  Steamships without Fulton.  Flight without the Wright brothers, absolutely.  Automobiles, trains, computers, GUIs... all these things would appear no matter what, because the technology and markets were ripe for them.

What history shows is that one or two people always become famous for marketing the advances before anyone else, and get credit for the details actually done by their employees. 

It's just a lot easier to teach kids about a few famous people.  

• Reply 36 of 37
    abazigalabazigal Posts: 114member
    In the year 2030, every child will be made to watch a copy of Steve's 2007 iphone keynote. He shall be known as the father of the modern smartphone. ;)
  • Reply 37 of 37
    rissriss Posts: 47member
    not really new, he stated this very opinion later in 1997 in TIME's article after he returned to Apple:

"Musing on the differences between the computer biz and the animation biz, Jobs notes, "Look, you work on a technical product, and if you're really lucky, it ships. If you're really, really lucky, it's a hit and lasts a year. If you're in the pantheon of products it lasts a decade, then it rapidly becomes a sediment layer on which the next layer of technology is built. I don't think you'll be able to boot up any computer today in 20 years."

But in 1994 he was being really humble about himself... I miss him not being around anymore :/