High resolution images claim to show 'iPhone 5S' and iPhone 5 display assemblies side-by-side

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    isteelers wrote: »
    And yet the iPhone 5 still outsells them all, even 8 or 9 months after its release. Samsung bragged about the GS4s sales numbers initially, but things have seemed to have cooled off since. Screen size is a factor for some people, but not for most or Apple would not be selling as many as they are especially with such a "stale" "outdated" OS. If Apple was on China Mobile, they would be selling even more and talk of the mythical cheap iPhone would not carry such weight. I'm sure they are experimenting with larger screens and may even sell them in a year or two, but the screen size is not the main driver for sales and they know this.

None of that is true outside the US where Samsung outsells the iphone most months. . In the US the Samsung 4 outsold the iphone 5 in May.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Omg, shut up about a larger iPhone already.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    abobrek wrote: »
    While all of you are talking about imaginary wants, I would like to talk about what this article has presented. I think we just MAY actually get a fingerprint sensor on the 5S. Notice the small hole on the backside of the "5S" on the right side of the home button, it is not present on the backside of the 5. Also, notice the shape change of the indentation on the left side near the home button on the "5S" compared to the 5, It appears a part will fit there (I don't know what it is, I am not an expert in iPhone breakdowns).

Actually I checked with Apple and they confirmed they are not including a fingerprint sensor in any iPhone ever. They reminded me that they are Apple, not Damsung, and they do not use stupid gimmicks to tell sell their devices. They only build in practical, worthwhile features that perform solidly and hold up to the test of time.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    pmz wrote: »
    Actually I checked with Apple and they confirmed they are not including a fingerprint sensor in any iPhone ever. They reminded me that they are Apple, not Damsung, and they do not use stupid gimmicks to tell sell their devices. They only build in practical, worthwhile features that perform solidly and hold up to the test of time.
    How again would a fingerprint sensor not be a worthwhile addition?
    And while you were "checking with apple"- did they remind you about the fact they purchased AuthenTech- a fingerprint sensor technology company- for $356 million last July?
  • Reply 45 of 50
    After a while, this becomes %u201Cmeh!%u201D material, unfortunately. I guess before the actual release, someone would've assembled the whole thing with all the leaks so far.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Do you honestly think that anyone would choose Android over iOS solely based on screen size, and that offering a larger screen iPhone would lure them back?

Android buyers fall into two general categories: 1) technically unsophisticated, budget-minded shoppers who buy whatever the incentivized salesperson recommends and 2) "tinkerers" who want to customize every minute detail of their device and care more about flashy specs than real world utility.

A larger screen iPhone will have zero effect on either of these groups.

Yes, I honestly think and know quite a few people choosing the larger screen size (which happens to be a Android).  They are in the wealthy, non-geek demographic.  And while I'm NOT saying a large screen phone is a killer to iPhone (or any phone brand), I will say that Apple really should release a large screen phone as fast as it can, hopefully this year, because it's a fairly large segment that Apple should address.

If the large-screen iPhone is priced about $50 above the iPhone 5/5s, it should be able to maintain acceptable profit margins.

• Reply 47 of 50
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    poksi wrote: »
    it makes sense what you are saying, but the timeframe seems too long IMHO. I believe it will happen earlier, but I agree, that if current limit is known to be 500dpi, there is no way to see mass produced iPhones with 550dpi very soon. Sounds crazy, but it seems that slightly lower resolution in iPhone 4 would be very helpful now...

I'm playing with the thought that something like that can happen, where cheaper iPhone could have lower dpi count (let's say around 220 dpi) versus bigger iPhone of double the dpi thus forming new, 3rd iOS form factor.

I agree with battery and GPU constraints, but Apple will have to overcome that eventually for other purposes as well. THey are not alone in this game, you know...

Yes and i hate to admit it as well. But that is the reality.
    The key is yield and mass produced. The problem with iPhone it is the single fastest selling and high volume devices in history, and Apple could no longer afford to put in cutting edge tech where it couldn't be done quickly and in large enough quantity.

Will there be 550 PPI display tech in 5 years? Hell Yes, of coz there are. Even OLED could do that today. But OLED still has it fundamental issues to overcome and unless Apple lower its bar on display quality we wont see that soon.

What you describe, and new category of devices was what i had in mind for the past year, it was the same thing described by Rene Ritchie, Macro Arment and others. Except it wont be a high end model, instead it will be the new Mid Range model, an more affordable version of iPhone reusing last year component and without a high resolution Retina Display. This strategy would strike right at it opponent, where most of their Smartphone are selling at +4" size. The devices would still maintain the same margin as iPhone 5, while gaining market shares and margins essentially from Samsung higher end devices. Its like killing two birds with one stone. And in case you are wondering, i did a BOM and Cost Analysis a long time ago to prove it was possible placing the phone at $399 - 449 range, and only until recently an "analysts" puts out a paper with similar finding .

But like Steve and Tim Cook has said, Apple isn't all about strategic decision to win things. They make the best devices, or the best devices within the Price range. After WWDC my wishful thinking has died down. To make a new larger devices Apple would have to solve the single hand operation problem. This could be done with software redesign and rethink on how to use your hands to control your devices within your finger's limited range. But that didn't happen or shown. May be they are keeping it secret until later date. But for now there is no sign or it doesn't seems to be happening.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    netimoonnetimoon Posts: 41member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Exactly.

Samsung was able to put a 4.8" screen in a body that's not too much bigger than the 4" iPhone.

Samsung could do that because their phones use not LCD but pentile AMOLED which is seriously defective, especially in terms of color expression.

Why don't you google "pentile AMOLED" yourself?

While pentile AMOLED consumes less space so Samsung could make galaxy something, it's hardly can be called a display. It's a crap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I've felt both in my pocket and there's hardly a difference.

And don't lie.

• Reply 49 of 50
    andysol wrote: »
    How again would a fingerprint sensor not be a worthwhile addition?
    And while you were "checking with apple"- did they remind you about the fact they purchased AuthenTech- a fingerprint sensor technology company- for $356 million last July?
    ??? It's a ridiculously stupid gimmick. What more do you need? Just let me use my phone without scanning my unique biological signature...thanks.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    ein999ein999 Posts: 14member
    If apple does not make a bigger screen i am finished until they do just want something a little bigger tired of waiting. I hate to leave cause i have such great compatability with my mac but i think it might be time to try something different why not and apple seems to upgrade hardware much slower than samsung im not saying their upgrades arent good and software is just right i like how samsung is so fast to offer better features. Still not 100% if i will switch or not.