Users report Wi-Fi connectivity issues with Apple's new 802.11ac MacBook Airs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52

Because I am not going to waste my time trying to summarize what the author should have included.  You go through and determine which posts are individual REAL issues versus chatter and also determine which of the routers are AC since most that posted don't know what they have in the first place.  That is why my friend.

• Reply 22 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    richl wrote: »
    So you believe that there's no/only a very small sales bump when a new product is released? Despite all of the evidence to the contrary?

No, I believe there's a very large ratio of uninformed to informed in said circumstances.
    apple ][ wrote: »
    ...Gizmodo...

That's when you start ignoring.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's when you start ignoring.

Agreed, but this same story is going to picked up and reported on by many sites.

That's how that thread is getting all of their hits!

I can sense a new WIFIgate in the making.

• Reply 24 of 52
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

They're probably just holding them wrong.  image

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.  That sucks that people are having connectivity issues and I'd imagine a fix is in the works.)

• Reply 25 of 52
    bfarubfaru Posts: 1member
    My MBA just arrived yesterday and this wireless issue is the first thing I noticed. Fixed it last night messing with the router channels and configuration. My concern is when using other wireless connections. I hope they come up with an update to fix this
  • Reply 26 of 52
    b2stb2st Posts: 1member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Users report being hit upside the head with a box of stupid

Thank you for this useful contribution to this thread.

• Reply 27 of 52

I don't know. The last issue I had with a Wi-Fi device randomly dropping was a MacBook Pro. And the one before that was a Mac Pro.

Two windows laptops. Fine.

One satellite set-top box. Fine.

iPhone 4S. Fine.

MacBook Pro. Not fine.

Replacing the wireless hotspot device fixed the problem. I think random dropping is becoming rarer.

I've worked as tech support in a mixed Mac/Windows environment. I cannot remember the last time someone on Windows came to me with a dropping wireless connection (beyond weak signal issues). However, both Linux and Macs... still get them. I don't know why.

• Reply 28 of 52
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

They're probably just holding them wrong.  image

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. ..

Try harder next time.

• Reply 29 of 52

The tech media, AI included, needs to STFU about pointless issues like this.

Are 15 posts on an internet forum really newsworthy?

"Anonymous sources told gizmodo" AKA completely unsubstantiated bullshit said by anyone with no credentials and zero burden of proof gets reported as fact.

I wish I had a bullhorn as loud as the anti-apple crowd. I could report how diamonds no longer cut glass and how the world is globally cooling because some nutjob in West Virginia wrote it in the dirt with a stick and other news organizations would parrot and parrot and parrot these 'stories'.

Apple has amazing customer service and the best hardware and software in the world available to consumers. If there is a problem, which is a big *if*, a quick call to Apple would either A) fix the problem or B) get a full replacement hassle free.

• Reply 30 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

-B&H only charges sales tax in NY

In cases where the online retailer does not have to collect sales tax, it is the customer’s responsibility to pay the tax—in which case it is known not as a sales tax but, rather, a “use tax.” Under California law, if an item would otherwise be subject to sales tax, it is generally subject to use tax.

• Reply 31 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Likely a minor deal, but reminds me why I'm almost never a day one adopter of either new HW or SW...

Exactly.  Always wait for Version 1.0.1.

• Reply 32 of 52
    tarfungotarfungo Posts: 92member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

In cases where the online retailer does not have to collect sales tax, it is the customer’s responsibility to pay the tax—in which case it is known not as a sales tax but, rather, a “use tax.” Under California law, if an item would otherwise be subject to sales tax, it is generally subject to use tax.

Furthermore - at least in California - if you are audited for any reason, the State Franchise Tax Board will routinely summons your credit card records for the current year, and all applicable prior years, and will then line-by-line analyze your out-of-state purchases against what was claimed on your tax return(s). Any discrepancies will be totaled, taxed appropriately, penalties assessed and late payment interest added to your new tax bill. 

This is no joke.  This exact audit scenario just happened to a close friend during an unrelated to the 'use tax', tax audit.

• Reply 33 of 52
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

I don't understand why people think others are idiots for reporting experiences with WIFI/Battery. If your first impulse is to deny that a day one launch product might having bugs and glitches, and to start being an ass, I think people can figure out who the real idiot is. Macs, Apple products are NOT immune to problems. 

• Reply 34 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    koop wrote: »
    If your first impulse is to deny that a day one launch product might having bugs and glitches...

No one is claiming that.
    Apple products are NOT immune to problems. 

No one is claiming that.

Do you have an actual point? Why not state that instead of this roundabout stuff? Here's the problem:

"This tap water made me sick; therefore there is a problem with the tap water." Never mind that your house's pipes have been rusting for a few years or that your glass was leaded.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member

Quote:

Originally Posted by koop View Post

I don't understand why people think others are idiots for reporting experiences with WIFI/Battery. If your first impulse is to deny that a day one launch product might having bugs and glitches, and to start being an ass, I think people can figure out who the real idiot is. Macs, Apple products are NOT immune to problems. 

Anyone who has trouble with an Apple product is an idiot.  Anyone who dislikes anything about an Apple product is a troll.  Anyone who disagrees with a decision Apple has made is a troll....  There's no room for discussion without the bullies coming in and blasting everyone.

• Reply 36 of 52
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    tnsf wrote: »
    So in summary, every time Apple releases a new product or OS there are users who report wifi and battery life issues.

You forgot the part about the utter lack of details about how many folks, what brand and age router they are using etc

Or the part about how AI will take every chance they can to embed ads for the resellers that give them a cut.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    iobserve wrote: »
    The tech media, AI included, needs to STFU about pointless issues like this.
    Are 15 posts on an internet forum really newsworthy?
    "Anonymous sources told gizmodo" AKA completely unsubstantiated bullshit said by anyone with no credentials and zero burden of proof gets reported as fact.

And a whole store of Apple employees getting fired for breach of code of conduct speaking to the media.

Or even every store in the London area. Or at least the Mac Techs in every store.

Yeah, I believe that one of them would risk it.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    What's with the screwed up quoting on this forum?
    That thread is mostly the same people posting over and over again. I hardly think that it is worthy of being reporting on.

That's the way Apple support forums go. Say there are 1000 posts. Of those,

10 will be people who report having a problem. But each of them will post 20 times to say "Yes, I really do have a problem"
    100 will be people saying it's impossible and they must be lying
    200 will be Apple haters saying "Apple sux"
    300 will be people who don't even own an Apple product but who say "me, too" but who mysteriously can never provide details about the system they claim to have
    100 will be Android or Windows shills saying "our system never has that problem"
    100 will be people to drag up every single unrelated problem they've ever had and throw it into that thread

You are correct - you can't simply count the total number of posts.
    That's what Gizmodo claims.

A couple of thousand disenfranchised Apple customers seem to have descended on the Apple Support Forums, all with problems with their shiny new MacBook Airs.

You should be thankful. If Gizmodo ever says anything nice about Apple, the earth will collapse into a black hole.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Because proper investigation would reveal there are no problems and that the people reporting them are complete idiots.

When it comes to WiFi and Mac OS they have had a varied success rte with various firm ware and OS release. I can remember similar issues with my MBP that only got full corrected with a couple of Mac OS updates. I don't have a new Air so I can't comment on the device from experience but I would not dismiss these people out of hand.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yeah I'm slightly amused to see AI advocating sales tax evasion. That is the real term.