Using Google Glass: A series of awkward encounters

Comments

• Reply 201 of 235
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I've always seen Glass as an experiment by Google. See what they can do with the technology and what the public will accept in terms of wearable tech.

From that perspective, it's a valuable tech. It creates discussion, gets developer interest, etc. Some of that might be fed back into other Google programs like Android.
  • Reply 202 of 235
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I personally think Google will find a way to significantly improve battery life. One of the changes already slated for the consumer version is an OLED display which by itself may be a big assist.

What good is OLED screen?  It is a much hyped display. 

• Reply 203 of 235
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

One of the AI reviews said the battery life is poor.  I doubt Google can improve the battery life significantly with the consumer version.  GG designers probably do not know people wearing glasses the weight is an important factor.

I don't think GG is meant as a mass consumer device yet.  It's still an experiment in progress.  Complaining right now is like complaining about the iOS 7 beta.

That said, it is interesting how many people here take offense at a GG wearer possibly filming their conversation.  That seems to make its near-future use probably tend to be more as a semi-niche device.  (Translation, tourism, professional, industrial, etc)

In other words, there are lots of valid and cool uses for a gizmo like this, but apparently wearing one all the time as a personal video diary might not be a publicly acceptable one.

• Reply 204 of 235

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

I don't think GG is meant as a mass consumer device yet.  It's still an experiment in progress.  Complaining right now is like complaining about the iOS 7 beta.

That said, it is interesting how many people here take offense at a GG wearer possibly filming their conversation.  That seems to make its near-future use probably tend to be more as a semi-niche device.  (Translation, tourism, professional, industrial, etc)

In other words, there are lots of valid and cool uses for a gizmo like this, but apparently wearing one all the time as a personal video diary might not be a publicly acceptable one.

I doubt GG can be impractical for profession use.  The video streaming may have to be turned on fro extended period.  This will use large amount of data.  Worse of all it will drain the battery much faster.

• Reply 205 of 235
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    And that's not what Apple sells the iPhone 5 for. A lot of people are willing to pay the non-subsidized (contract free) price of at least $649.

Yep. I paid € 875 for my 64GB, off contract, as that would only make it more expensive. True, depending on carrier, that is.
  • Reply 206 of 235
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    blitz1 wrote: »
    Well, i do use the iPad now for star gazing. But pointing to a star with a device that blocks your sight is quite complicated.
    It seems to me that just looking at a star is the (far) more simple approach.

You do know that there are plenty of augmented reality apps available that do exactly what you're talking about.

The ONLY difference is that GG is hands free.
  • Reply 207 of 235
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

What good is OLED screen?  It is a much hyped display. 

All tech is hyped. The ideal option for you may come down to what you use your phone for most. If you like to watch movies and play games on your phone, AMOLED might be the better choice, thanks to its hugely superior contrast ratio compared to LCD. However, if web browsing and document viewing is more your thing, LCD usually offers slightly crisper text, making it easier to read what's on screen over long periods. In either case, you're unlikely to be disappointed with the best of what manufacturers offer.

• Reply 208 of 235
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    rcfa wrote: »
    As annoying as mobile phones can be, they are not stealth. If someone points their stupid phone at me, I see it.
    If someone wears something like GG integrated into normal looking eyeglasses, then it's very stealth.

If someone points a camera at you, you can confront the person to stop doing it, delete the footage, and if things are harassing call the police.
    If someone walks around with camouflaged GG, you can do exactly nothing, because you don't even know it's happening.

HUGE DIFFERENCE.
  • Reply 209 of 235
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    While I completely agree that there will be major backlash to GG and that there are major privacy issues, the fact remains that under U.S. law, there is no expectation of privacy in a public place.

And while I personally hate the idea of GG, we might get over this just as we've gotten over people walking down the streets talking to themselves and the egos of people who spend their lives on Twitter, Facebook and other such sites and think we care about what fast food they ate for lunch.
  • Reply 210 of 235
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

While I completely agree that there will be major backlash to GG and that there are major privacy issues, the fact remains that under U.S. law, there is no expectation of privacy in a public place.

And while I personally hate the idea of GG, we might get over this just as we've gotten over people walking down the streets talking to themselves and the egos of people who spend their lives on Twitter, Facebook and other such sites and think we care about what fast food they ate for lunch.

On the street, maybe so, but not when they enter private property or many other types of public establishment.

• Reply 211 of 235

Some authors keep saying GG is a computer. This is also wrong. GG is not a computer.  GG is not a cell phone.  GG is a smartphone accessory. Google is being hyped by the stupid media.  Like this the street.com article.  Note that Edwards has worked for cnet.  This speaks very well how technical cnet people really is.  And Google has been disingenuous since the beginning.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11975081/1/the-digital-skeptic-get-ready-for-a-google-glass-crash.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

"Edwards is deeply worried that Google's slick, soon-to-market, wearable immersive computer, Google Glass, is on track to be Web Advertising 3.0. That is, just another in a long line of Internet marketing disasters."

• Reply 212 of 235
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

GG is just a prototype. The next thing is Google contacts: Google will cram all the tech power of GG into a contact lens just like in the movie.  Hope Apple can beat Google to it.

• Reply 213 of 235

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Hope Apple can beat Google to it.

Please explain why you prefer Apple over Google. You like to pay the Apple tax? You like to be treated with disdain?

• Reply 214 of 235
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    coollector wrote: »
    Please explain why you prefer Apple over Google. You like to pay the Apple tax? You like to be treated with disdain?

Apple tax? Google is charging $1500 for a cell phone accessory.

Also I bet he values his privacy. Something Google tries to work around and sell.
  • Reply 215 of 235

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Google is charging $1500 for a cell phone accessory.

It's the price paid by the developers to get a prototype. The public price will be much lower.

But I agree with you that Google is bad at privacy.

• Reply 216 of 235
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

I think Glass is too much for a consumer product.

However, there are alot of potential professional applications for this sort of thing.  Imagine a construction or factory worker being able to superimpose blueprints or instructions on the material he's actually working on, and record incidents at work?  Not to mention, the technology is transferable to HUDs of all types, and the miniaturization techniques are transferable to phones.  

Projects like Glass and the Google car aren't intended to be big commercial successes right now, but they will undoubtedly shape the products of tomorrow.  

• Reply 217 of 235
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,834member
    This google glass sounds extremely priced, and what do they do for people with prescription lenses?
  • Reply 218 of 235
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    This google glass sounds extremely priced, and what do they do for people with prescription lenses?

http://mashable.com/2013/03/12/google-glass-prescription-lenses/
  • Reply 219 of 235

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

It's obviously still a work in progress.  More like an experiment than anything else.

I think more companies should do such experimentation, instead of just waiting until they think something id perfect enough to be a big commercial success.

• Reply 220 of 235

dup