Apple reportedly in talks to buy Israeli firm responsible for Xbox Kinect's 3D sensor tech

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    They should buy LEAP Motion in case they don't work out a deal with the Xbox firm... and put them inside future IGZO display retina iMac's. But mostly they should buy LEAP because they already have an app store and developers for their technology.

I think what Apple can do with Prime Sense far exceeds what LEAP's technology is capable of.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    chuckdchuckd Posts: 34member
    Why do they need a television at all when they already have a box that people would actually buy?

Gee, I dont know, maybe because they're in the business of selling integrated, end-to-end products?

Face it, the current hockey puck stream box is to the real iTV what the Rokr was to the iPhone. The only reason why Apple hasn't opened the App Store floodgates is because they're holding out for a truly revolutionary input method that's natural and works better than anyone else's. You can only do that when you control the whole widget. Now, let's see if Timmy and Eddy can get the cable/satellite operators to subsidize some of the hardware.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    chuckd wrote: »
    Gee, I don't know, maybe because they're in the business of selling integrated, end-to-end products?

Apple will never own the back end of this product. Apple TV can't be measured against the rest.
    The only reason why Apple hasn't opened the App Store floodgates is because they're holding out for a truly revolutionary input method that's natural and works better than anyone else's.

They have it. It's called a touchscreen. In fact, the App Store is already on Apple TV. It's called using an iOS device.
    Now, let's see if Timmy and Eddy can get the cable/satellite operators to subsidize some of the hardware.

Why, when no other television has been subsidized by the telecoms? :no:
  • Reply 24 of 27
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    The technology underpinning the original kinect was fantastic, but the latency and resolution throughput of the USB 2 interface really hampered the experience.

This and the Ocular Rift VR headset will make for an exciting future.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    chuckdchuckd Posts: 34member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple will never own the back end of this product. 

Who said anything about ownership? It's all about control.

Quote:

They have it. It's called a touchscreen. In fact, the App Store is already on Apple TV. It's called using an iOS device.

Good enough, but not great.

Quote:

Why, when no other television has been subsidized by the telecoms? image

You're assuming iTV would be just like other televisions.

• Reply 26 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    chuckd wrote: »
    Who said anything about ownership? It's all about control.

I don't remember if it was here or somewhere else where someone said that video media hasn't been backed against the wall like music was. Apple will have to go to them, not the other way around, and that will make deals terrible for consumers.

Apple really needs to go directly to the content creators and individual channels themselves to negotiate deals. Like their most recent update to Apple TV... except NOT DEPENDENT ON PAYMENT TO AN EXISTING CABLE OR SATELLITE PLAN. :???::mad::no:
    Good enough, but not great.

So what could possibly be better? Don't say gestures and an "always on" Kinect-style control.
    You're assuming iTV would be just like other televisions.

No, just that Apple cares about its customers.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    otriotri Posts: 13member
    This would be very bad for Microsoft, and very good for Apple.

I've been re-building the OpenNI libraries so it's a better behaved development stack on Mac, this is so I can use the Kinect with SceneKit. Combined with things like Apple's SceneKit on Mac, you have a wonderfully easy 3D environment for integrating the human element with Mac apps, with loads of possibilities.

The Kinect demonstrations for Xbox One sells the possibility of a perceptually aware computer. One that literally knows who you are, talk to you, and offer very natural modes of rich interactions. All without skipping a beat (yes I mean music beats).

So, here's to hoping Apple gets ahold of the tools from PrimeSense and brings this out on iOS and Mac. I'd prefer if PrimeSense remains like Imagination Technologies, so Microsoft Research can continue to push the envelope.