Google misses Q2 earnings estimates despite revenue and profit rise, Microsoft loses $900M on Surfac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79

I never understood the difference between the Surface tablet and the Surface RT tablet?

Also, what is the difference between Windows 8 and Windows 8 RT?

That pretty much explains it all!  

• Reply 22 of 79
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

Originally Posted by afrodri View Post

I'm confused, Google's income is up 16% since this quarter last year, and their revenue is up a "considerable" 19%. That is flat? 

Or are the numbers in the article not GAAP?

margins are falling which is a precursor to lower growth or negative growth

remember apple over the last two years? first the margins started to fall last year and the numbers only went bad early this year

• Reply 23 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by richsadams View Post

"I want to be very clear," said Microsoft CFO Amy Hood, according to The Wall Street Journal, "we know we have to do better, particularly on mobile devices."

Really? Two words of advice then...Fire Ballmer!

That is all.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!  Ballmer is the best thing that ever happened to Apple! The guy must stay on as CEO, even after they wheel his dementia-ladden body out on stage to yell DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS ... in the year 2030.

• Reply 24 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post

I never understood the difference between the Surface tablet and the Surface RT tablet?

The difference: The first one stinks like holly shit!!! The later one somehow reeks even more. Don't even poke them with a long stick.

• Reply 25 of 79
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post

Surface RT and Windows 8 RT run on ARM-based devices and do not support desktop applications. Imagine all your Steam games and existing Windows apps being effectively unsupported. I cannot imagine why it failed so miserably.

• Reply 27 of 79
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Surface RT and Windows 8 RT run on ARM-based devices and do not support desktop applications. Imagine all your Steam games and existing Windows apps being effectively unsupported. I cannot imagine why it failed so miserably.

Correction.  It is confusing to say desktop applications.  Why not just say Windows applications? 

• Reply 28 of 79
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    pdq2 wrote: »
    Not sure how net income can be _more_ than operating income, so I'd suggest checking the link - see if you can figure it out.

I'm not going to bother checking the link because it's not difficult for net income to be greater than operating income. In fact, it very often is.

In the simplest case, let's say you make $1 B in operating income and earn $100 M in interest on your investments. That gives you net income of $1.1 B.

Come on, it's not that hard.

Surface RT (and Windows 8 RT) is an ARM device which runs only 'tablet' apps. It does not run your normal x86 Windows apps.

Surface and Windows 8 is a full-blown x86 computer which will run most of the apps that you run on your desktop.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    mikejones wrote: »
    The Surface RT: The answer to a question no one was asking. Make a device that is useful for more than writing Word documents and dancing like a hipster douche and you might get people to buy more.

Hip in the 80s.
  • Reply 30 of 79
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    jragosta wrote: »

Come on, it's not that hard.

Surface RT (and Windows 8 RT) is an ARM device which runs only 'tablet' apps. It does not run your normal x86 Windows apps.

Surface and Windows 8 is a full-blown x86 computer which will run, poorly, most of the apps that you run on your desktop.

Fixed that for you :)
  • Reply 31 of 79
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by afrodri View Post

I'm confused, Google's income is up 16% since this quarter last year, and their revenue is up a "considerable" 19%. That is flat? 

Or are the numbers in the article not GAAP?

Join the club. Apple goes through the same nonsense every quarter.

• Reply 32 of 79
    malicmalic Posts: 14member
    Yikes. Combine this bad news with the rumor that iOS 7 may have iWork productivity apps for free in the fall - Apple products will look SO attractive that the bad news for Microsoft may just be beginning. Even if they can't come out on top and have to settle for second place at the mobile/tablet-computing table, that's better than not being at the table at all!

Combine THAT possiblilty with the shrinking importance of the desktop market makes for a questionable future for Microsoft. That would actually be sad. Yes I'm an Apple fan and I just wrote that. Love them or hate them you have to admit there's a lot for computing that Microsoft has brought into the world. There are a lot of smart people that work there - they should be better than this. Even as an Apple fanboy I have to say competition is good.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

So the RT turns out to be a massive turd son of Zune? But it's Apple that is doomed? Apple fanboys get accused of living in a RDF? The Windows RDF dwarfs any Apple RDF.

• Reply 34 of 79
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Was that courier tablet even close to being a physical prototype? How practical would it have been? Looks like it would be quite heavy and not sure how it would close. Would each display have its own battery?
  • Reply 35 of 79
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Was that courier tablet even close to being a physical prototype? How practical would it have been? Looks like it would be quite heavy and not sure how it would close. Would each display have its own battery?

There are conflicting stories about that, even from within MS. I guess the most relevant point remains that MS did leak these videos in a timely fashion to cause damage to the iPad. So, they deserve all the sarcasm they can get. (And the question if it was a real thing, a fantasy, a study or whatever... became highly irrelevant.)
  • Reply 36 of 79
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    China slowing down, Australia slowing down, Europe still going nowhere and teetering on the brink of more Euro and debt trouble and now big corporations missing estimates - colour me surprised.
  • Reply 37 of 79
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Microsoft's reign is over. Google is starting to crack and its stock will be cut in half in the next 18 months.

• Reply 38 of 79
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    malic wrote: »
    Yikes. Combine this bad news with the rumor that iOS 7 may have iWork productivity apps for free in the fall - Apple products will look SO attractive that the bad news for Microsoft may just be beginning. Even if they can't come out on top and have to settle for second place at the mobile/tablet-computing table, that's better than not being at the table at all!

Considering that all Surface tablets ("pro" or not) do at least require a $100 keyboard / trackpad attachment to make them somewhat usable for anything... I am not sure Apple even has to go there. All of Apple's apps (each of them beating Office on the RT by miles) together, even adding in iPhoto and Garageband, cost less. Now.

MS is far from being even in the running for "second place". They have to pass Amazon, Samsung, Google/Nexus, too. Plus all the more successful Win 8 tablet / hybrid makers like Lenovo... MS is not even on the map.
  • Reply 39 of 79

Google.

Wonder how much longer before they kill Motorola, like HP did to Palm, or sell it off for a loss.

Microsoft.

Surface RT = Surface Really Tanks

Windows 8 = Windows h8

Wonder if Steve Ballmer is on a '3 strikes & your out' contract as CEO? If so, 1 more &...

• Reply 40 of 79
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    Finally.

Will analysts now say that Google is a bad buy since it is missing earnings estimates? Will Google's stock get punished severely? Or will Google be allowed to get a pass?

Realize that Google's cash cow is in ads - the vast majority of which are on PCs. Apple knocked Google off the iOS ecosystem. And Apple's iAds is growing. And PC shipments are slowing. And Android users don't go online to look at Google's ads. Thus Google's market for ads is SHRINKING. And thus Google's profitability is going to take a hit.