xmame/macmame

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i recently rediscovered mame, and decided to dl and get it going like i used to do. roms are a bit more difficult to find these days (until i hit dc), but anyway i can't seem to get it working. i fink'd xmame, and also got MacMame, hoping one of them would work. Neither of them seems to handle the keyboard though. When I start xmame, or hit play in macmame, i get a window that says "...Type 'OK'..." to continue (or esc to quit), and it doesn't respond. I try 'O', then 'K', to no avail. I tried escape, no luck. I tried every key, no response. All it seems to respond to is command-q. I can't even use the mouse when MacMame is in this mode. i can command-tab away from it, and then regain control of the mouse et al, but i'd like to be able to play a game. with xmame, i get the exact same window with the press ok to continue, but it doesn't seem to hog the computer in the same way.

anyone have any ideas? i'm dl'ing the src for xmame and gonna hack at it a bit, and maybe see if i could change its keyboard input, but anyone know how i could not-hack and have it work?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by thuh Freak:

<strong>i recently rediscovered mame, and decided to dl and get it going like i used to do........ snip ......e if i could change its keyboard input, but anyone know how i could not-hack and have it work?</strong><hr></blockquote>

as far as i remember, typing 'o' followed by 'k' gets you to the point of startup. then once the machine has gone through it's diagnostics, you hit '5' or '6' to put coins in. '1' and '2' denote how many players..

but i've not played with it for a while so i may have missed a thing or two...

on a side note, what is your source for roms?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i tried 'o' followed by 'k' (holding and not holding shift, with and without the caps lock on). it doesn't seem to get those, or it doesn't move past that stage.

ahem, being the legitimate owner or being otherwise (cough) legally entitled to use these roms (ahem), i found backup (cough) copies on DirectConnect.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by thuh Freak:

<strong>i tried 'o' followed by 'k' (holding and not holding shift, with and without the caps lock on). it doesn't seem to get those, or it doesn't move past that stage.

ahem, being the legitimate owner or being otherwise (cough) legally entitled to use these roms (ahem), i found backup (cough) copies on DirectConnect.</strong><hr></blockquote>

well all i can suggest is what is available on the <a href="http://www.macmame.org/help.html"; target="_blank">mac mame</a> :

Here's a quick breakdown of the keys:

3 - insert a Quarter

1 & 2 - 1 and 2 player start

ESC - Pause

TAB - access configuration menu, ESC to return to the game

F3 - reset the emulated machine

F4 - show the charsets. Use the arrows to navigate through the various combinations, ESC to return to the game

F7 - if cheats were enabled in the front-end, this allows you to toggle them on and off

F8 - cycle through frameskip options

F9 - cycle through the volume levels

F10 - toggle speed throttling

F11 - toggle FPS

F12 - save a screenshot

The keys may be configured for each game. Press TAB to get to the configuration menu to change the key settings and also view the key settings for each game. Most games use the arrows to move and control, option and space to fire.

there's also:

Q: All I see are a list of "names" or "credits" when I start MAME. What's next?

A: You have managed to successfully start MAME. Press the space bar to skip past the ROM warning and credit screens.