Wheres the beef? (1/22 speed bump)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Well, maybe it's in a months' time.

Or maybe Jobs will deliver something tomorrow just to jerk everyone on these forums who have been expecting stuff today.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    I bet since Apple has not run or the new iMac ad (made by John Lassetar) it will be unveiled at the Superbowl. That would be so sweet, I am taping the 'Bowl for that reason! Screw watching the Eagles beat the Steelers, I wanna see the iMac.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    I believe we could see a G5 SuperBowl ad.

But the history is too strong for it to be that obviously stated, and Steve is too "hyper" to let something as "Revolutionary" as 64 bits be a regular old upgrade.

I expect that if we get a G5 superbowl ad, it would be:

- Artsy

- Vague

- Emotional

It would not:

- Mention the phrase 64-bit

- Show the computer

- "Sell" anything

We could be told something like:

"On March 24th, 1984, the world was introduced to 'Macintosh'--revolutionizing the personal computing industry.

But this year, we throw the hammer *down*."

Again... no prediction here, just thoughts on what it would look like IF (read: if) there is a "G5" ad in the Superbowl.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>Screw watching the Eagles beat the Steelers, I wanna see the iMac. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Man, I want some of whatever you've been smokin'!!!!

• Reply 25 of 40
    I'm sure that if Steve Jobs read these boards he would have a <a href="http://hem.passagen.se/muntz/haha.wav"; target="_blank">reassuring response</a> to our disappointment.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Is the SuperBowl really that popular?
  • Reply 27 of 40
    mithrasmithras Posts: 165member
    [quote]Originally posted by JW Pepper:

<strong>Is the SuperBowl really that popular?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You ain't from 'round here, are ya?
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Just as I predicted, those hog-wash G4 rumors were to no avail!

Super Bowl? Who needs a Super Bowl when ya got a G5 with Super Drive?
  • Reply 29 of 40
    JW... its not called the superBowl for nothing....it is very popular, or at least WAS way back in the day, its popularity seems to be faultering, as more and more people go digital and forget about good old fashioned sports, however this is not ALWAYs the case

at any rate football(by this, I mean American football) is a dumb sport, now soccer is a REAL sport.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    as for the g5 debuting at the superbowl, I think thats a totally awesome Idea. any super bowl ad done by apple would be a good idea, considering how much steve loves his little iMac, It would be foolish not to have AT LEAST an iMac plug at the super bowl....however in the fasion of the 1984 macintosh intro ad, apple would be wise to have a commercial that told the world that the most powerful desktop cpu is here(or at least, coming REALLY REALLY soon)
  • Reply 31 of 40
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I bet if somebody looked hard enough, they could find out if Apple has an ad during this years superbowl. If they do, what the heck does it mean?

G5?

Excuse me for a moment while I do some searching...

- Mark
  • Reply 32 of 40
    while waiting for new power mac.....

watch "golden girls" you kill an hour.. just like that...
  • Reply 33 of 40
    jayjay Posts: 27member
    [quote]Originally posted by ProtoDAda:

<strong>while waiting for new power mac.....

watch "golden girls" you kill an hour.. just like that...</strong><hr></blockquote>

HAHAHAHAHA!
  • Reply 34 of 40
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by ProtoDAda:

<strong>while waiting for new power mac.....

watch "golden girls" you kill an hour.. just like that...</strong><hr></blockquote>

lol
  • Reply 35 of 40
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Glue Sniffer:

<strong>I'm old enough to remember 64K being a lot of ram. Don't be so quick to say "We don't need anything faster."

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah...at one time 64K was "more than we'll EVER, EVER!! need. Now I'm looking to buy a system that has 2,000 TIMES as much RAM just on the video card!!
  • Reply 36 of 40
    [quote]Originally posted by G-News:

<strong>Well, the last Superowl ad was the introduction of the original Macintosh...Remains to be seen whether the speed and 64bit archtitecture qualify for such a major ad.

G-News</strong><hr></blockquote>

No...what about the HAL9000 ad from a couple years ago

"you like your Macintosh more than me....don't you Dave?"
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Here's the Super Bowl commercial:

A tracking shot of animated, slow-moving reptiles and hulking dinosaurs in a steamy, Jurassic landscape. Suddenly, a small mammal, one of the earliest of its kind, comes into the frame friskily, running circles around the ancient, lumbering reptiles.

Jeff Goldblum intones:

"500 million years ago, a smaller, smarter, better built, and faster animal appeared and eventually conquered the old order of dinosaurs."

The ancient landscape now gives way to a forest of ugly Wintel boxes. Suddenly, a swooping camera movement reveals an ultra-small, Ives-designed metallic enclosure with a crystal-clear Apple logo and the trademark "G5."

Goldblum:

"Introducing, the G5. 500 million years in the making."

Then the Web site address, "www.mammals org" appears with the Apple logo on the bottom of the screen.

When the public goes to the site, they see the new machine in action. (Mammals.org is registered by Apple and currently takes you to the Apple site.) Of course, all of this is predicated on Apple being able to produce a dual processor G5 with a combined speed of, say, at least 3 Ghz (two 1.5 Mhz chips) to satisfy those enslaved to the Megahertz Myth. Nonetheless, it is a possible ad campaign. And it's obvious enough for Super Bowl.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Well,

I did some checking on the web and found a site that lists advertisers for the superbowl. I could not find Apple listed.

Here is the link..

<a href="http://www.superbowl-ads.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.superbowl-ads.com/</a>;

I also found out that this superbowl will be the last time Madden and Summerall work together. Dang. They were (in my opinion) the best NFL announcers.

- Mark
  • Reply 39 of 40
    IE back button causes double posts!

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: pepper steak ]</p>
  • Reply 40 of 40
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by pepper steak:

<strong>IE back button causes double posts!

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: pepper steak ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Usually does.