[quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>anon: Optical port * More on this later on</strong><hr></blockquote>

What could this be?

Fiber connections inside the machine?

DVD-out?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Optical is for 1394b the next gen of Firewire.

---------------------------------------------------

STP up to 4.5 meters up to 3.2Gps

GOF up to 100 meters up to 3.2Gps

POF up to 100 meters up to 1.6Gps

UTP-5 up to 100 meters at 100Mbs

---------------------------------------------------

- STP is the type of cables we use now but to get the new higher speeds new connectors and maybe a better quality cable type will be needed (I think).

- GOF is Glass Optical Fiber

- POF is Plastic Optical Fiber

- UTP-5 is pretty much the same as Cat5

Hope this helps...

Dave

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: DaveGee ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 7
    scadboyscadboy Posts: 189member
    [quote]Originally posted by DaveGee:

<strong>Optical is for 1394b the next gen of Firewire.</strong><hr></blockquote>

EHHHH... no, firewire is still going to be based on a good 'ol copper wire, if you look at the patents for 1394b it shows how the old cables can interface with the second generation ones, and gives specs on them, etc.

I think it's most likely he was referring to optical audio output/input. It's a pretty common feature on mid-high range DVD players, and a staple on minidisc players.

The rumblings that Apple is working on a pro-audio app, like Final Cut for music, supports this.

You can get them on PC's easy enough, and since apple dropped traditional analogue input, I think Apple really needs something besides USB on their pro machines.

It'd be cool...

ciao,

michael

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: scadboy ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by scadboy:

<strong>I think it's most likely he was referring to optical audio output/input. It's a pretty common feature on mid-high range DVD players, and a staple on minidisc players.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This was my first guess as well.

Let us not forget that you can BTW a PowerMac w/o a modem--they simply don't include the modem.

Maybe you'll be able BTO one with this optical port, but it means no significant change to the case is required.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by scadboy:

<strong>

EHHHH... no, firewire is still going to be based on a good 'ol copper wire, if you look at the patents for 1394b it shows how the old cables can interface with the second generation ones, and gives specs on them, etc.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Come again?? Please show me the link to the patent. Cause I'd love to see how to interface Glass Fiber to Copper and still support 100 meters @ 3.2Gbps.

And for those who think it's for audio systems... Please! I'm a total Home Theater nut with an 8 FOOT movie screen and DLP projector to prove it with DD 5.1 sound and even with all that I couldn't think of anything more silly.

How many people (even in a Geek Central place like this) have a Dolby Digital 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 or DTS receiver (with optical inputs) sitting on their computer desk. Don't everyone raise your hands at once...

Dave

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: DaveGee ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 7

<strong>

Come again?? Please show me the link to the patent. Cause I'd love to see how to interface Glass Fiber to Copper and still support 100 meters @ 3.2Gbps.

And for those who think it's for audio systems... Please! I'm a total Home Theater nut with an 8 FOOT movie screen and DLP projector to prove it with DD 5.1 sound and even with all that I couldn't think of anything more silly.

How many people (even in a Geek Central place like this) have a Dolby Digital 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 or DTS receiver (with optical inputs) sitting on their computer desk. Don't everyone raise your hands at once...

Dave

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: DaveGee ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Firewire now uses COPPER. Cisco's 1394 variant (GigaStack), which supports over 1Gbps uses COPPER (simply a better shielded EMI cable).

It is most likely that any future variants of 1394 will continue to use COPPER, and the same connectors.

So, what then is this mysterious optical connector (which i remind you is only rumored as of yet)? My guess is (as suggested by someone else) Dolby 5.1 output (unlikely input).

As for dave's comments, my Samsung DVD player uses optical outs, as do all the DVD players my friends and family have. And most of them have optical inputs on their receivers. (I don't, i haven't yet upgraded my 8 y/o Marantz).

and dave, no one had any firewire peripherals on their desks until apple started including it. so don't hurt your horse's nose on the cart...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member

<strong>

Dave

I think you're missing the point

• Reply 7 of 7

<strong>

Dave

Thank you, Dave, I'm totally with you, as you can see from the thread where this topic originated.....unfortunately the 3 people who are actually nutz enough to do this don't seem to agree with us

S