XCOM publisher touts success with premium price point on Apple's iOS App Store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

I bought XCom Enemy Unknown from Steam for $10 during the Summer Sale. You should be really stupid to buy it for $20 from the App store. There is also a deal right now on Greenmangaming. If you preorder The Bureau: XCOM Declassified for $44.99 right now, you will get $12 credit or $8 cash back AND you will get XCOM Ultimate Bundle that include all previous XCom games for free! Check this out: http://www.greenmangaming.com/the-bureau-xcom-declassified-offer/

"Really stupid"? I'm laughing at you. I played XCom on my iPad while waiting at a restaurant last night. I love being able to take my games with me. I hate having incredibly shallow games. And I have no respect for someone who are so shallow they think that $10 is cause for judging people "really stupid." How much does a movie cost to see? If a game occupies me that long, prices can be equivalent and it's a wash. If it occupies me twice as long, it can be twice the cost of a money, and it's still a wash. In the case of XCom, I've spent significantly longer than two hours playing it, so the cost is justified as an entertainment expense.

Would you actually avoid a well crafted game just because of $10? I'll drop twice that amount on lunch today. There's a difference between being smart and being cheap. $10 is a rounding error on my weekly expenses. And it's not because I'm especially wealthy, because I'm not. It's because $10 is a small amount of money.

The amount of time I'll spend playing a game though is time I'll never get back. That's the currency that matters, the currency I want to spend wisely and conserve as much as possible. Money? It's just money. Get your values straight. If you're so poor that $10 is such an incredibly precious resource to you that you think it justifies calling names, then what you really need to do is to stop playing such time-intensive games and do some genuine work.

• Reply 22 of 31
    nelsonx wrote: »

You are exactly the reason why AAA games will never be on iPads. The real gamers play games on PC, XBox or Playstation. Those who are just casual gamers don't like AAA games. I bet you like Angry Birds, right?

No, I'm actually a very avid gamer (a casual gamer wouldn't have spent $20 on a game like XCOM). It's just not a good experience.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

It doesn't!

So then what's your point? There doesn't seem you have one beyond being a troll.

Quote:

But the thing is you don't want to play great AAA games on a tiny screen! These games has to be played on huge screens.

Why wouldn't I? I'm not always sitting in front of a huge TV. Some of us actually do leave our houses and our TVs from time to time and yet still might want to play a game.

Quote:

But I get it, I get it, I'm on a crazy Apple fan site so...

Because Android users don't play games on their phones and tablets? There are no games for Windows tablets and iPhones? There are no games for Blackberry phones? Again, do you have an actual point beyond being a troll?

Quote:

You are exactly the reason why AAA games will never be on iPads. The real gamers play games on PC, XBox or Playstation. Those who are just casual gamers don't like AAA games. I bet you like Angry Birds, right?

There are plenty of AAA games on the iPad. Ignorant much?

• Reply 24 of 31
    Personally, I really hate freemium games.

With a paid game you can design it solely with an eye toward making a game the best it can be. You might not succeed, but that's you're motive.

With a freemium game, you have to design it also with an eye toward balancing how much you can inconvenience the player. You want to inconvenience him JUST enough that he'll pay you to stop it, and not so much that he'll stop playing. I just picked up Solstice Arena on a recommendation from my brother. He said the only thing you pay for is skins. But that's not true. You'll have to play a ton to be able to afford each champion. Most likely you'll pony up, because they make it so painful otherwise. Ah, but the question is how much? $10 apparently gets you nearly nothing. $20 not much more. There are $100 IAPs!!!!! Jeez. Freemium is far, far, far more greedy than just putting a $10 or $20 price on the thing. All the people who bitch about that up front cost, how many of them pony up once they get in?

Please, any game designers reading this: just design a game to be fun and only fun. I'll pay for it. Apparently, though, I'm a minority. And a whole generation of games is being ruined because of it.
  • Reply 25 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by abazigal View Post

Nobody ever said you couldn't.

I just haven't seen an app yet that justified such a high price point. Currently, all the games I have played, I grew bored of them within days because they were shallow with repetitive gameplay. Give me planescape: Torment with updated graphics and a redesigned touch-optimised UI, and I will willingly shell out good money for it. 

People think they must price an app cheap for people to buy it, that only gives them less incentive to design it properly, so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I feel it would do good for Apple to periodically purge their app store of underperforming apps once in a while, just to jolt the developers out of this sense of complacency. 

You got bored within days? Days???? And that's not worth $19.95. What's your imagined reasonable cost-per-hour?

• Reply 26 of 31

Quote:

It doesn't! But the thing is you don't want to play great AAA games on a tiny screen! These games has to be played on huge screens. But I get it, I get it, I'm on a crazy Apple fan site so...

Actually, no. the thing is that *you* don't. Some people do. And what weird thing was happening in your head that you thought your last sentence made any sense at all except showing that you really had no point and wanted to just try and call some names? You might want to check out who made XCom. It wasn't Apple. Your invective is not appropriate for the discussion at hand. It illuminates nothing except for the person who typed it, and the sickly glow it casts on you is something you might do well to be troubled by.

• Reply 27 of 31
    kenwkkenwk Posts: 25member

Quote:

I bought XCom Enemy Unknown from Steam for $10 during the Summer Sale. You should be really stupid to buy it for $20 from the App store. There is also a deal right now on Greenmangaming. If you preorder The Bureau: XCOM Declassified for $44.99 right now, you will get $12 credit or $8 cash back AND you will get XCOM Ultimate Bundle that include all previous XCom games for free! Check this out: http://www.greenmangaming.com/the-bureau-xcom-declassified-offer/

Sorry I don't feel stupid at all, I paid the extra $10 so I can pretty much play the game anywhere.  It is a great game to play right before going to bed :) 

• Reply 28 of 31
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

What's so hard about syncing your app and its data to your computer?

Don't have a computer?

• Reply 29 of 31
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

It doesn't! But the thing is you don't want to play great AAA games on a tiny screen! These games has to be played on huge screens. But I get it, I get it, I'm on a crazy Apple fan site so...

This is a very narrow understanding of the gaming industry.  Of course the majority of AAA games are mean to be play on big screens on the latest gaming rig. But a large part of gamer enjoyed their games on mobile console like the GameBoy or PSP. This is where the gaming market is in crisis right now, the latest generation of mobile gaming console are unable to compete with new generation of general use mobile device like android phone and tablets.

This is where news like this one show how gaming on tablet could be a game changer for bringing new games on new platforms outside of common market: PC and game console.  This could exit both Nintendo and Sony from the mobile gaming hardware market.

• Reply 30 of 31
    aussiepaulaussiepaul Posts: 144member

I agree!

• Reply 31 of 31
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    mikejones wrote: »
    Yeah, because comparing a limited-time sale price to the full sale price somewhere else is a totally fair comparison. How about mentioning how the non-sale price for the game on Steam is $39.99. So when you factor that in the App Store version is half the price.

It is free on PS+ for the next year if you have a current membership, and personally I think free is too much to charge for this game