Android tablets outshipped Apple's iPad for first time in Q2 2013, study claims

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    slurpy wrote: »
    So the question remains, what the **** are all these tablets being used for? Are they not connected to the internet?
    Someone suggested in the wsj mini retina thread that they are commonly being used as 16x9 aspect ratio ebook readers configured in airplane mode to extend battery life.
  • Reply 42 of 74

You don't make any sense at all. Macs use the same video cards as generic PCs. That being said, why would you replace a perfectly good motherboard after you have a video card failure?!

ALSO -- a 4 year old MacBook is basically obsolete and that's why your friends have replaced their computers already. Guess what, they probably paid less than you did too.
    Lol. Dude. Seriously? The video card is actually soldered on the motherboard. As far was calling a 4 year old Mac obsolete, you obviously have never owned a Mac before.
  • Reply 43 of 74
    This is one of those studies where you have to look beyond the headline. consider the seasonality aspect. In Q2 2012 Apple launched the iPad 3 with the resulting sales spike that an Apple product launch always brings. In Q2 2013 Apple has 2 iPads that are 3/4 of a year old. So yes Apple's volumes were down (and as Tim Cook explained, in 2012 they had ramped up inventory but in 2013 they were already ramping down inventory). Undoubtedly android tablet sales are picking up.At the cheap end, roughly >$100 where huge volumes of tablets might sell in China, India and Africa, Apple will not be a player, yet that sales will skew these market share surveys to "Android is winning!"
  • Reply 44 of 74
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    IMO- there are so, so, sooo many users out there that just check email and browse the web. I can certainly see why the 'cheop-o's win on volume if its a half way functionally tablet.
    For an average ... wage challenged worker.... Nexus 7 seems like winner- 100 bucks(savings) is 100 bucks.
  • Reply 45 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

Lol. Dude. Seriously? The video card is actually soldered on the motherboard. As far was calling a 4 year old Mac obsolete, you obviously have never owned a Mac before.

And you think Apple designed and manufactured that video card and that it isn't 100% compatible with a PC running Windows? If you do then you're wrong. Same goes with Mac flash drives and ram and everything else inside the box.

• Reply 46 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrustyMcLovin View Post

And you think Apple designed and manufactured that video card and that it isn't 100% compatible with a PC running Windows? If you do then you're wrong. Same goes with Mac flash drives and ram and everything else inside the box.

??? wtf ??? lol

• Reply 47 of 74
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,965member
    nelsonx wrote: »
    Because you live in all of the countries at the same time!
    No, but I assume you do since you are speaking for them.
  • Reply 48 of 74
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrustyMcLovin View Post

Who gives a **** who manufactured the video card? You LOLed at him for getting his notebook motherboard replaced after the videocard went bad, showing your extreme ignorant in not knowing that the video card is part of the motherboard. Now, you go on this tangent which is completely irrelevant to everything. Also, no matter how "obsolete" his 4 year old Mac is, it no doubt functions much better than a 4 year old PC. I know a shit-ton of people with older Macs that still work perfectly, and are fast and smooth. 

You clearly have no point, never had a point, and your goal is simply to troll. Stop pretending to give people lessons on technology, when you're clearly grotesquely ignorant yourself. 

• Reply 49 of 74
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    ALSO -- a 4 year old MacBook is basically obsolete and that's why your friends have replaced their computers already. Guess what, they probably paid less than you did too.
    Try again. We have two Macs in our household. An early 2008 MacBook Pro (the one just before the unibody design) and a mid 2008 24 inch iMac. Both are updated to OSX Mountain Lion. Both still going strong. Hardly obsolete wouldn't you say?
  • Reply 50 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post

Try again. We have two Macs in our household. An early 2008 MacBook Pro (the one just before the unibody design) and a mid 2008 24 inch iMac. Both are updated to OSX Mountain Lion. Both still going strong. Hardly obsolete wouldn't you say?

So just because you still own it and it still runs it is not obsolete? So I guess if that old Apple IIe in the garage boots up that it's not obsolete either.

• Reply 51 of 74

Quote:

??? wtf ??? lol

Yes, I know this is shocking and hard to hear but it's true. Apple does not design nor manufacture most of the components inside the box. They use standardized PC parts that could just as well live inside of an HP or a Dell.

• Reply 52 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Who gives a **** who manufactured the video card? You LOLed at him for getting his notebook motherboard replaced after the videocard went bad, showing your extreme ignorant in not knowing that the video card is part of the motherboard. Now, you go on this tangent which is completely irrelevant to everything. Also, no matter how "obsolete" his 4 year old Mac is, it no doubt functions much better than a 4 year old PC. I know a shit-ton of people with older Macs that still work perfectly, and are fast and smooth. 

You clearly have no point, never had a point, and your goal is simply to troll. Stop pretending to give people lessons on technology, when you're clearly grotesquely ignorant yourself. 

The POINT of bringing up the manufacturer of the video card is simply to illustrate that there isn't much difference inside the box. The OP made a point of detailing how his friends had to replace their cheap PCs and that his crappy old Mac was still going strong. What I am trying to tell you is that the insides are basically the same.

• Reply 53 of 74
    The POINT of bringing up the manufacturer of the video card is simply to illustrate that there isn't much difference inside the box. The OP made a point of detailing how his friends had to replace their cheap PCs and that his crappy old Mac was still going strong. What I am trying to tell you is that the insides are basically the same.

OMG too much talk about a Mac video card.

We've got tablet market share to argue about!!!

:D
  • Reply 54 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post

I know we are going off topic. But this might make some people chuckle.

My mother-in-law still uses her 2000 (13 yrs old) G3 PowerBook Pismo w/ 1GB RAM running 10.4

My father-in-law still uses his 2002 (11 yr old) iBook G3 700Mhz w/ 640MB RAM running 10.4

I am still using two B&W 1999 (14 yr old) PowerMac G3's running Linux (these have been running 24/7 except for power outages, OS upgrades for the past 10 years doing various firewall, VPN and routing activities).

I am still using my 2000 (13 yrs old) Dual PowerMac G4 Gigabit (Mystic) with 2MB RAM running 10.4 with dual monitors for use with Final Cut. 

These things just won't die and just don't have the heart or need to get rid of them. They do their job just as well today as when they were new.

Sorry for prolonging this tangent which has absolutely nothing to do with tablet market share.  oh.. I guess I can tell you, we still use our iPad 1? doubt that excuses this post however.

Now back to your regularlly scheduled program.  Sorry all.

p.s.  to the OP with the 4 year old Macbook.  We gave our daughter a Unibody Core 2 Duo Late-2009 Macbook as HS graduation present. Its still going strong w/o problems. She will be a senior in college this fall.  Over the summer upgraded it to 8GB RAM and SSD.  No doubt it will stay useable for another 4 years. It still is very responsive and fast. Actually, I say its just getting broken in. ;-)

• Reply 55 of 74
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

I know we are going off topic. But this might make some people chuckle.

My mother-in-law still uses her 2000 (13 yrs old) G3 PowerBook Pismo w/ 1GB RAM running 10.4

My father-in-law still uses his 2002 (11 yr old) iBook G3 700Mhz w/ 640MB RAM running 10.4

I am still using two B&W 1999 (14 yr old) PowerMac G3's running Linux (these have been running 24/7 except for power outages, OS upgrades for the past 10 years doing various firewall, VPN and routing activities).

I am still using my 2000 (13 yrs old) Dual PowerMac G4 Gigabit (Mystic) with 2MB RAM running 10.4 with dual monitors for use with Final Cut. 

These things just won't die and just don't have the heart or need to get rid of them. They do their job just as well today as when they were new.

Sorry for prolonging this tangent which has absolutely nothing to do with tablet market share.  oh.. I guess I can tell you, we still use our iPad 1? doubt that excuses this post however.

Now back to your regularlly scheduled program.  Sorry all.

Still have my PIII running windows xp used to play movies on the TV along with an IBM (not lenovo) centrino laptop to do the same on another tv

• Reply 56 of 74
    Who cares how many Android tablets are being shipped? Tell me how many are being sold. How much marketshare are they taking? How much revenue are they producing? Are they even being used? Are they just sitting in warehouses, stores, and people's drawers? Shipping numbers really mean nothing.
  • Reply 57 of 74
    eckergus wrote: »
    Who cares how many Android tablets are being shipped? Tell me how many are being sold. How much marketshare are they taking? How much revenue are they producing? How much are they being used? Are they just sitting in warehouses, stores, and people's drawers? Shipping number really mean nothing.

They're not sitting in stores.

If a store didn't sell any tablets in Q1... they wouldn't order any more for Q2

So they must be selling... unless there's a black hole somewhere.

But what company would spend time and money to make products... just to throw them in a hole?
  • Reply 58 of 74
    murmanmurman Posts: 159member

I get the feeling the "shipped" for this is not "potential to sell" where a company backs their shipment with a marketing strategy, but when all tablet shipments are mushed together, its more like "hope to sell", where smaller companies hope to ride trends and on advertising of similar products by other companies.

• Reply 59 of 74
    murman wrote: »
    I get the feeling the "shipped" for this is not "potential to sell" where a company backs their shipment with a marketing strategy, but when all tablet shipments are mushed together, its more like "hope to sell", where smaller companies hope to ride trends and on advertising of similar products by other companies.

So wait... there are companies out there making tablets with no marketing strategy?

That's Business 101 stuff.

Hmmmm... maybe Apple isn't in trouble after all.

I get the feeling that Android tablet market share is just a meaningless empty number.

Oh sure... there are plenty of Android tablets changing hands or whatever... but they are doing nothing for the tablet industry. They just shovel a bunch of units out into the market... and every 3 months we get reports like this.

Meh...
  • Reply 60 of 74
    murmanmurman Posts: 159member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

So wait... there are companies out there making tablets with no marketing strategy?

Some companies seem to have distribution but no marketing. I'm no even sure they go to the trouble having a press release or showcase their wares in some tech fair, is a strategy though, going for the very low end? Even a company like Samsung, they sell so many different products, they don't advertise everyone of them, but rely on brand recognition, but that is marketing strategy, some companies have nothing, but they ship products, sell what they can, ride a trend.