Apple notifies former MobileMe users complimentary storage soon to expire

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riss View Post

Had the extra 20GB for last 2 years and I'm still using around 600MB from my account. Why? Because you dildos took away iWeb and iDisk - the two most used features that I was willing to pay for... now I moved on and unless at least iDisk comes back, Apple won't see a dime from me again for cloud storage

Agreed! I miss being able to host my website on iDisk. I've since had to pay for that service elsewhere... image

iWeb was great! I've since switched to Adobe Muse image

• Reply 22 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

5GB backup storage needs to be reconsidered. It is just not enough if you have more than one device. I have one iPhone, one iPad mini, and 2 iPads and I already use 7GB. My sons iPod touch (32GB) is already over the 5GB and cannot backup without deleting things from the camera roll.

It should be 5GB PER DEVICE.

This.

• Reply 23 of 35
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    frood wrote: »
    That headline seems like an elegantly polite way of saying:

MobileMe users about to get mugged.

I don't see that. I seem to recall paying for Mobile Me, yet I haven't paid a dime for iCloud (yet).
  • Reply 24 of 35
    iTools - launched January 2000 - "Free for life!" - discontinued July 2002

.Mac - launched 2002 - discontinued July 2008

MobileMe - launched July 2008 - discontinued June 2012

iCloud - launched October 2011 - discontinued ???

I've been a Mac user for ages. I've lived through each of Apple's failed attempts to offer stable online tools. Never again.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    I got a notice that I was over the limit of 5GB, and would loose data on the downgrade. A check showed 4.6 of 5.8 GB was the camera roll, 1800+ pics & movies.

I am thinking about turning off backup for this item. There are TONS of free storage sites that will offer to back up photos automatically - Google Drive, Amazon Cloud Drive,Sugar Sync, AT&T Locker, Dropbox. Most are also limited to 5 GB, but Google Drive is 15GB. I might just use it instead.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member

Like many others here, I miss some parts of MobileMe.

iDisk was great to have and the other service I miss quite a bit was the MobileMe Gallery. A great way to share photos with friends and family whether they owned an Apple device or not.

Heck Marissa Mayer's Yahoo, sent us a notification that we can get up to 1 TB of space for Flickr, back in May. I just wish Apple could do something similar.

• Reply 27 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    guytoronto wrote: »
    I've been a Mac user for ages. I've lived through each of Apple's failed attempts to offer stable online tools. Never again.

Someday you'll realize why it's different now. We'll be busy enjoying the software until then.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    mstone wrote: »
    I haven't used iCloud. Since they took away iDisk I have no use for the extra storage.

Same here except I used it to publish shared photo albums using iPhoto MobileMe integration. That feature ended with MobileMe.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    guytoronto wrote: »

You poor thing.
  • Reply 30 of 35

If you want Finder-like control over viewing and modifying iCloud content, check out Cloud Mate.  Looks pretty cool.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2045020/mac-gems-cloud-mate-makes-the-most-out-of-icloud.html

• Reply 31 of 35
    yanimacyanimac Posts: 23member

I wish they would let us keep our 30Gb storage for those who have stuck with Mobile me that long. I've had since it started. Seems sucky to me to downgrade people.

• Reply 32 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    yanimac wrote: »
    I wish they would let us keep our 30Gb storage for those who have stuck with Mobile me that long. I've had since it started. Seems sucky to me to downgrade people.

You can. By paying for it.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    nasserae wrote: »
    You can choose what to backup to iCloud. On your iOS device go to iCloud -> Storage & Backup -> Manage Storage -> Choose your device (the one your using now) then turn off the things you don't want to backup. You can also access your iCloud iWork documents on your Mac by going to the ~/Library/Mobile Documents/.

Yes, iCloud is limited and this can be a pain sometimes. However, limitations can be good for the average user. If you want something you have complete control over then you can also use other solutions such as Dropbox. There are many apps with Dropbox integration. I actually use both iCloud and Dropbox and each provide unique set of features that I need.

Under "iCloud -> Storage & Backup -> Manage Storage -> Choose your device (the one your using now) then turn off the things you don't want to backup"... I can see how much space each app's data consumes, but I can't switch individual applications off. I only can switch off "Documents & Data" for all apps.

I do use Dropbox, too. But there are apps supporting only the one or the other, like e.g. the iWork apps. Getting a Pages document into my Dropbox account and sharing it with somebody (on an iDevice) is a pain in the ass, and involves more steps than was the case with assembling most furniture in my house. If Apple never had that capability, it would not even irritate me that much. But iDisk was just fine and did work. I also do not see how it was too much to handle for the "average user". Even my mother (87) was able to share documents with family and friends on iDisk. I am not trying to be negative, but IMHO Apple tries to abolish traditional file systems (something I sympathise with in general), without having a viable alternative in place.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Under "iCloud -> Storage & Backup -> Manage Storage -> Choose your device (the one your using now) then turn off the things you don't want to backup"... I can see how much space each app's data consumes, but I can't switch individual applications off. I only can switch off "Documents & Data" for all apps.

I do use Dropbox, too. But there are apps supporting only the one or the other, like e.g. the iWork apps. Getting a Pages document into my Dropbox account and sharing it with somebody (on an iDevice) is a pain in the ass, and involves more steps than was the case with assembling most furniture in my house. If Apple never had that capability, it would not even irritate me that much. But iDisk was just fine and did work. I also do not see how it was too much to handle for the "average user". Even my mother (87) was able to share documents with family and friends on iDisk. I am not trying to be negative, but IMHO Apple tries to abolish traditional file systems (something I sympathise with in general), without having a viable alternative in place.

You should be able to control backup for each app you have installed. I have checked my iOS 6+ devices and they all show it. Here is Apple support document about how to do it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4847

• Reply 35 of 35
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    nasserae wrote: »
    You should be able to control backup for each app you have installed. I have checked my iOS 6+ devices and they all show it. Here is Apple support document about how to do it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4847

Yep. Thanks. You are right. I was checking on my development device with iOS 7 beta 4, and this option does not (yet) exist there. On my private iPad with iOS 6 it is exactly as you have stated!