Exclusive: Hidden contacts revealed within Apple's iOS in the Car

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    bzzlinkbzzlink Posts: 10member
    Exactly.

My point was that cars have allowed to-way interaction with ios devices for years. But it has been up to the car manufacturers to make det interface, and graphics. They are taking it one step further now, providing apples interface to take over the whole screen realestate instead of the auto manufactureres (often) crappy interface.
  • Reply 62 of 75
    bzzlinkbzzlink Posts: 10member
    oflife wrote: »
    ... Since a few years ago, I have been able to dock even my most basic Android phone in my car (at the time, a Motorola DEFY running a very old version of Android) and do the following:

1. Issue spoken commands to do pretty much all I can do today with Siri.
    2. Navigate to must about anywhere on Earth, with Google's excellent satnav killing Google Maps/Turn by turn directions
    3. Obtain location info, such as nearest ATM, gas station etc.

Yes, well; it doesn't matter if you have been able to do it. Have your mother and father been able to do it? And can you do it wirelessly and automatic?

If Apple can deliver this experience, so that when your mother gets into her car with phone in pocket. All these things just work, it will truly be a revolution. Nerd ready proof of concept, and granma friendly is two different things.

Apple makes (cutting edge) technology available to grandmothers.
    Android makes bleeding edge technology available to nerds.
  • Reply 63 of 75
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I read somewhere that Google was paying Apple to use Google's backend data.

Never heard that one.  Seems backward.

Perhaps you're thinking of the fact that Google paid to be the default search engine?

• Reply 64 of 75
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Google.

Google rewrote their terms to be unacceptable to Apple.

That was a few years after.
  • Reply 65 of 75
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That was a few years after.

A few years after Apple dumped them last year?

• Reply 66 of 75
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

AI reports this afternoon:

Google now popping up new banner ads in iPhone Google Maps searches

hey, won't that be really great on your car's nav screen?! i bet they will even be location targeted too! all you Google Maps fans here must be ecstatic.

and then Google Now will even sing merchants' jingles to go with them!!

boy, i don't think Apple will EVER catch up with all that!

• Reply 67 of 75
    A few years after Apple dumped them last year?

Using Google's data since 2007, and TBT on Android in 2009. It was Apple's app the entire time, so what prevented them from using it for their own TBT
  • Reply 68 of 75
    iOS in the Car for Camaro and C7 Stingray please!
  • Reply 69 of 75

Quote:

Using Google's data since 2007, and TBT on Android in 2009. It was Apple's app the entire time, so what prevented them from using it for their own TBT

GoTo

Rinse, repeat.

• Reply 70 of 75
    GoTo

Rinse, repeat.

Well when did Google rewrite their terms or do you want to continue going in circles?
  • Reply 71 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

"Apple simply had more available to show than it intended to."

That evidence doesn't mean it was more than a mockup. That phrase applies equally if they simply mocked up more stuff than the ended up talking about.

Anyway--looking forward to next year! Apple Maps has been good to me, and I want it big on my dash!

Apple has a lot more built into iOS 7 then they've announced to date. Some hints of it has been unearthed by the beta testers, but some of it has not yet been added to the beta code. 

Where some companies "extend and embrace" Apple has the tendency to "leap out of nowhere and implement."

• Reply 72 of 75

Quote:

Well when did Google rewrite their terms or do you want to continue going in circles?

Gee, I don't know, why don't you use Bing?

• Reply 73 of 75

You think Apple used Google's API or did they make there own since it was their app?
  • Reply 74 of 75
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

[...]

Furthermore, unlike Google, Apple's business model doesn't require them to track your every move.

Whether Apple's business model requires them to track you is beside the point. What matters is whether they are in fact tracking you, and if so, what you as the user can do about it.

• Reply 75 of 75