Weird problem with accents

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just noticed something weird happening on my Mac with file names that contain accents. The accents move to the right and sit by themselves. This has happened with saved files with names that were previously correct (i.e. "résumé.pdf"). It also happens when I save a new file. I tried two different things: I changed the name of another PDF to résumé.pdf (no duplicate names in that folder, so I knew that wouldn't be a problem). As I typed the filename in the Finder, it looked correct. Pressing return at the end of the name, the accents moved. In another test, I opened up TextEdit and saved a new file on the Desktop as "résumé". In the Save dialog, the file name looked correct. As is shown in this image, the accents moved again. What's going on?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Cool.

However, I can't seem to duplicate that on my setup (iBook, 10.2.4, englisch). The following were saved by TextEdit and Safari:

• Reply 2 of 3
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Can't seem to duplicate it either- 10.2.4 German Mac OS X.

• Reply 3 of 3
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    Thanks for responding, both of you, but I wasn't holding a contest to see who could duplicate the same issue.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing the problem? I first noticed it a few days ago. I'm up to date on all Software Updates - 10.2.4, the security update, the Java update, the iMovie update. I don't think the 10.2.4 update is responsible because I would have noticed the incorrect file names a while ago, and I don't understand why the security update, the Java update or the iMovie update would have caused problems with file names containing accents.