Waze realtime incident reports now appear in Google Maps for Apple's iOS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Isn't Apple planning to crowdsource map error reporting and correction in iOS7? image

Of course. I'm glad someone mentioned that. That's inherently different, though. All you have to do with Waze is tell them what the problem is and they'll put it up. With Apple, they wait for a significant number of identical (or near identical) reports before looking into the change themselves. THEN putting it up.

By what I'm seeing, Waze is basically Twitter for vehicular disasters. No pun intended that Twitter causes vehicular disasters.

• Reply 22 of 75
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to writing scripts that automatically report random accidents, artificially ruining everyone's travel times who use Google Maps. Because that's what you get when you "crowdsource" anything. 

Isn't Apple planning to crowdsource map error reporting and correction in iOS7? :\

I think he means that "crowdsource" on Waze is actively reported by users, and therefore inaccurate (since it's reported by people). The crowdsourcing in iOS is being done by iOS, not people, and therefore more precise. This is key to understanding why Google creates mediocre software apps, and Apple goes out of there way to create something useful. To boot; it shows how little the pro-Google crowd actually understands any of Apples motives to do something right.
  • Reply 23 of 75
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    By what I'm seeing, Waze is basically Twitter for vehicular disasters. No pun intended that Twitter causes vehicular disasters.

"Can I call you back later; I just ran over a cyclist"
  • Reply 24 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,587member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I think he means that "crowdsource" on Waze is actively reported by users, and therefore inaccurate (since it's reported by people). The crowdsourcing in iOS is being done by iOS, not people, and therefore more precise. This is key to understanding why Google creates mediocre software apps, and Apple goes out of there way to create something useful. To boot; it shows how little the pro-Google crowd actually understands any of Apples motives to do something right.

You've assumed I don't understand any of the motives in user location tracking, or referring to "others" instead?
  • Reply 25 of 75
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm looking forward to writing scripts that automatically report random accidents, artificially ruining everyone's travel times who use Google Maps. Because that's what you get when you "crowdsource" anything. 

Pretty despicable behavior to try to ruin people's day because you are unhappy with something. Maybe you can get some jollies by chucking some liquid onto the laptop keyboards at the Apple store. Woohoo, bad behavior day.

• Reply 26 of 75

Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Pretty despicable behavior to try to ruin people's day because you are unhappy with something.

Geezaloo, was a sarcasm tag really needed? I'm not going to do it, but it could be done.

Maybe you can get some jollies by chucking some liquid onto the laptop keyboards at the Apple store.

Uh, I'd be doing that at the Samsung section of the store… The idea is to sabotage Google/competitors.

• Reply 27 of 75
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    philboogie wrote: »
    "Can I call you back later; I just ran over a cyclist"

That's what you get driving when using Google Maps on Google Glass.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    crosslad wrote: »
    That's what you get driving when using Google Maps on Google Glass.

Since you mentioned it Mercedes is working on actively incorporating Google Glass with some of their automotive features. They've already demonstrated it can be done.
    http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/08/google-glass-mercedes-benz/

Personally I'm looking forward to some of the upcoming changes and improvements in the automotive experience from Apple and Google and the manufacturers themselves.
  • Reply 29 of 75

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Since you mentioned it Mercedes is working on actively incorporating Google Glass with some of their automotive features. They've already demonstrated it can be done.

Not that it matters much, since Glass is going to be illegal to wear while driving.

• Reply 30 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

You fail to mention that Apple users now have the ability to decide on, install, and use both mapping applications, something which is a vast improvement over the neglect we previously suffered when Google was the only option.

Even when Google maps was the default, other mapping apps can be installed and used. I personally had Waze, mapquest and another one (which does offline mapping, not able to recollect the name). Not sure what you are referring to. 

• Reply 31 of 75
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Geezaloo, was a sarcasm tag really needed? I'm not going to do it, but it could be done.

Uh, I'd be doing that at the Samsung section of the store… The idea is to sabotage Google/competitors.

You don't need to pretend it is sarcasm. It's online here so nobody will really know it's you.

• Reply 32 of 75

Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

You don't need to pretend it is sarcasm.

Therefore why would I pretend at all? Come off it.

• Reply 33 of 75

I love Apple maps. I use it every day and it is so much better than the built in nav system on my realtor's Lexus!! It is much better at locating obscure country addresses and getting there efficiently. I would also love to be able to report accidents/traffic realtime to Apple and I would love to be able to select a route and get info on it, but at the moment, where I live, Apple does a great job of reporting traffic, construction, accidents etc. I love the turn by turn directions and I also love that they are constantly improving the performance of the app to be better than the competition. I have the new google maps app but I don't like it. I don't like the graphics, the UI, the ads and the mapping information is not always reliable. The original google maps app for iOS 5 was great (except the glaring omission of no turn by turn directions) but the new google maps is terrible in comparison to both Apple maps and the old google maps. So for me this app is a waste of space.

• Reply 34 of 75
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    gatorguy wrote: »

Personally I'm looking forward to some of the upcoming changes and improvements in the automotive experience from Apple and Google and the manufacturers themselves.

What an opportunity for Google. I can hear the adverts now - "At the next left, turn into McDonalds. Continue for 150 yards to Starbucks."
  • Reply 35 of 75

Quote:

Not that it matters much, since Glass is going to be illegal to wear while driving.

It's all going that way. 

According to the Huffington Post, the best way to get out of a ticket for using your smartphone while driving is to tell the officer that you needed its map program to get directions. But that excuse will no longer work in California. An appeals court has held that any hands-on use of a phone violates California’s texting-while-driving statute — including using your phone as a GPS. - See more at: http://www.mjmandel.com/2013/07/29/california-judge-rules-smartphone-map-use-while-driving-is-illegal/#sthash.Ej3ldJ8a.dpuf

Which means bye bye Siri!

To talk to Siri, hold down the Home button and you’ll hear two quick beeps and see “What can I help you with?” on the screen. Just begin speaking. The microphone icon lights up to let you know that Siri hears you talking. Once you’ve started a dialogue with Siri, tap the microphone icon to talk to it again.

• Reply 36 of 75

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Which means bye bye Siri!

Sure does¡ image

• Reply 37 of 75

Quote:

Sure does¡ image

Don't worry it will get banned.

• Reply 38 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

What an opportunity for Google. I can hear the adverts now - "At the next left, turn into McDonalds. Continue for 150 yards to Starbucks."

I guess you missed the AI article that just posted..

Apple's iTunes Radio attracts ads from major brands like McDonald's, Nissan & Pepsi

• Reply 39 of 75

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Don't worry it will get banned.

An actual, physical feature OF the car will get banned? Listen to yourself. Next you'll say it will be illegal to look at your dashboard while driving.

• Reply 40 of 75

Why should it be illegal? Seems just as safe as tuning the radio or adjusting the air.. It can be completely hands off and once it's integrated with the iPhone (still to come) connecting to Mercedes "Digital Drivetime" Cloud features it opens up a whole new world for the connected car.