Waze realtime incident reports now appear in Google Maps for Apple's iOS

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Crowd sourced traffic data from Waze, a company that Google acquired earlier this year, is now included in the official Google Maps application for iPhone and iPad.

Maps

The search giant announced on its official Lat Long blog on Tuesday that real time incident reports from Waze users will appear in the official Google Maps apps for both iOS and Android in the U.S. and U.K., as well as France, Germany, Switzerland, Mexico, Brazil, Panama, Peru, Chile, Colombia, and Ecuador.

Google has also updated the Waze app for iOS, as well as Android, to add Google Search functionality. Google's data now joins other search providers in being integrated into Waze.

Finally, Google also announced that the Waze Map Editor has been updated with Google Street View and satellite imagery. This will make it easier for users in the Waze community to correct map errors.Google announced it had acquired Waze, a crowd-sourced traffic and navigation service, in June.

Google announced in June that it had acquired Waze, a popular cross-platform, crowd-sourced traffic and navigation service to bolster its own Google Maps. As of April, Waze had more than 40 million people actively using its service and contributing data.

The Waze iOS application was highlighted by Apple >last year following the launch of iOS 6, when the company promoted alternative mapping applications and apologized for the substandard quality of its own Maps.

Mobile maps have become an increasingly heated space in the tech market, after Apple opted to ditch Google Maps and utilize its own data for the integrated iOS Maps application. But many users still view Apple's software as largely inferior to Google's, and Apple has responded with a number of its own key acquisitions.

Most notably, this year Apple purchased HopStop, a public transit and navigation data provider, as well as Locationary, a crowdsourced mapping data startup. The company has also been looking to improve its Maps team with a number of available positions for Maps experts.

Google, meanwhile, has been working to greater monetize users of its own mapping software on iOS, as the company rolled out new banner ads for the official Google Maps application earlier this month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Well, that was a pretty fast integration. Still, already deleted it from my phone though as I don't have any interest in anything from this company.

hehe, YMMV. Pun intended.
  • Reply 2 of 75
    Nice addition. Loving all of the map app competition - it's creating much better products, regardless of the one you use.
  • Reply 3 of 75
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Nice addition. Loving all of the map app competition - it's creating much better products, regardless of the one you use.

Yeah, I think that's the real upside to all of this.

• Reply 4 of 75

Apple Maps has everything I need. Google can go scroogle itself.

• Reply 5 of 75
    I am looking forward to seeing how Apple integrates HopStop, Locationary and its own traffic aggregation technologies in Apple Maps.
  • Reply 6 of 75
    philboogie wrote: »
    Still, already deleted it from my phone though as I don't have any interest in anything from this company.

Wow, No interest, yet you read the article and commented on it?

So do you post "this is not interesting to me" on every AI article that is not interesting to you?

That aside,

Looking forward to seeing this in operation on my next road trip.
  • Reply 7 of 75
    I'm also not interested... lol. I'm happy with apple maps and until I find some major deficiency that effects me, I don't see myself downloading the other one. That's part of giggles dilemma. Most new users will just use the default apple maps.
  • Reply 8 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    customtb wrote: »
    I'm also not interested... lol. I'm happy with apple maps and until I find some major deficiency that effects me, I don't see myself downloading the other one. That's part of giggles dilemma. Most new users will just use the default apple maps.

Google Maps is still the third most downloaded iOS app (excluding games) right behind YouTube and Snapchat according to AppAnnie. Adding real-time incident reports like accidents and other traffic slowdowns sounds like something users of the app would appreciate doesn't it?
  • Reply 9 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

That's part of giggles dilemma. Most new users will just use the default apple maps.

Maybe, I don't know, but consider this. A boatload of new 5C users are likely ex-Android users who are familiar and already tied into Google ecosystem. My guess is they will try apple maps, but stay with the familiarity of google maps and the google cloud integration. I think also that the initial bad press Apple maps got is still lingering in peoples minds.

• Reply 10 of 75
    As far as I know, Google Maps does not provide dynamic re-routing based on traffic the way Waze does. I end up using Waze for commuting, and either Apple or Google for navigating me to a new location, since Waze frequently routes me into oblivion.

• Reply 11 of 75
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesclark830 View Post

As far as I know, Google Maps does not provide dynamic re-routing based on traffic the way Waze does. I end up using Waze for commuting, and either Apple or Google for navigating me to a new location, since Waze frequently routes me into oblivion.

Its not automatically done when already being navigated using a particular route, however if you search for alternative routes, those are based on real time (somewhat) traffic estimates.

• Reply 12 of 75
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Google Maps is still the third most downloaded iOS app (excluding games) right behind YouTube and Snapchat according to AppAnnie. Adding real-time incident reports like accidents and other traffic slowdowns sounds like something users of the app would appreciate doesn't it?

You truly are desperate to attempt to prop up Google in any thread you get the chance.

Which gives the impression that you think they need propping up.

You fail to mention that Apple users now have the ability to decide on, install, and use both mapping applications, something which is a vast improvement over the neglect we previously suffered when Google was the only option.

I have a good memory.

And when it comes to mapping applications, Google can get lost.
  • Reply 13 of 75
    applezilla wrote: »
    Apple Maps has everything I need.

It has everything I need too……except for actually getting me to my destination.
  • Reply 14 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Its not automatically done when already being navigated using a particular route, however if you search for alternative routes, those are based on real time (somewhat) traffic estimates.

It's automatic on Android, so potentially it will come to IOS soon.

• Reply 15 of 75
    philboogie wrote: »
    Well, that was a pretty fast integration. Still, already deleted it from my phone though as I don't have any interest in anything from this company.

hehe, YMMV. Pun intended.

Never mind if it's good or useful. Just spite yourself on principle. Good idea.
  • Reply 16 of 75

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Looking forward to seeing this in operation on my next road trip.

I'm looking forward to writing scripts that automatically report random accidents, artificially ruining everyone's travel times who use Google Maps. Because that's what you get when you "crowdsource" anything. 

• Reply 17 of 75
    I find the police/accident/objects on road reporting feature in Waze invaluable. Would really like to see something like that in the iOS Maps app.
  • Reply 18 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm looking forward to writing scripts that automatically report random accidents, artificially ruining everyone's travel times who use Google Maps. Because that's what you get when you "crowdsource" anything. 

I wouldn't have expected any less. Good luck with that.

• Reply 19 of 75
    tokyojimu wrote: »
    It has everything I need too……except for actually getting me to my destination.

Where do you want to go? In the UK I have found Apple Maps to be really reliable for both car and walking routes.
  • Reply 20 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Isn't Apple planning to crowdsource map error reporting and correction in iOS7? :\