Waze realtime incident reports now appear in Google Maps for Apple's iOS

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Why should it be illegal?

Ut tut tut. I don't recall saying it should be illegal, just that it would be illegal. Don't misrepresent. image

For the record, it should be illegal. Unless it can indeed be hands/eyes free, as you said.

• Reply 42 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

An actual, physical feature OF the car will get banned? Listen to yourself. Next you'll say it will be illegal to look at your dashboard while driving.

Any physical interaction that involves features of your smartphone, whether proxied on the car dash or not, will be banned, it's just a matter of time. It's not that hard to understand.

• Reply 43 of 75
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Did you use this username because no one else pats you on the back? Or maybe they do, out of pity, 3 times no less.
  • Reply 44 of 75

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Any physical interaction that involves features of your smartphone, whether proxied on the car dash or not, will be banned, it's just a matter of time. It's not that hard to understand.

It is, given that this is utter nonsense. Your RPM meter on the dashboard is a proxy of the engine's revolutions. Your temperature gauge is a proxy of the actual temperature. Should we climb outside the car, open the hood, and take its temperature should we need it? Or maybe the engine should be connected via a metal heat sink to the underside of your seat so that you can feel just how hot the engine is at all times?

• Reply 45 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Did you use this username because no one else pats you on the back? Or maybe they do, out of pity, 3 times no less.

Says the guy called Boogie? image

• Reply 46 of 75

Quote:

It is, given that this is utter nonsense. Your RPM meter on the dashboard is a proxy of the engine's revolutions. Your temperature gauge is a proxy of the actual temperature. Should we climb outside the car, open the hood, and take its temperature should we need it? Or maybe the engine should be connected via a metal heat sink to the underside of your seat so that you can feel just how hot the engine is at all times?

When's the last time you touched your RPM meter?

• Reply 47 of 75
    Nice update!
  • Reply 48 of 75
    gatorguy wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    I think he means that "crowdsource" on Waze is actively reported by users, and therefore inaccurate (since it's reported by people). The crowdsourcing in iOS is being done by iOS, not people, and therefore more precise. This is key to understanding why Google creates mediocre software apps, and Apple goes out of there way to create something useful. To boot; it shows how little the pro-Google crowd actually understands any of Apples motives to do something right.

You've assumed I don't understand any of the motives in user location tracking, or referring to "others" instead?

No, I'm not saying that you don't understand the motives. I'm saying the motives differ, vastly, between Google and Apple. I think Google does their regular 'see what sticks' thing (wiki), and Apple thinks about user experience, added benefit.
  • Reply 49 of 75

When's the last time you touched your RPM meter?

Guess it should be illegal to turn, too, since you have to move your hand to activate the signal. Guess it should be illegal to wipe the windshield, too, since you have to move your hand to turn the wipers on.

Your position is complete nonsense. It's possible that more functions of a smartphone, under direct use of said phone, will be banned in more places, but it is ludicrous to suggest that all functions of all phones will be banned, even if they are directly integrated into the physical vehicle itself, whether hands-free or via touching a button.

• Reply 50 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member
    No, I'm not saying that you don't understand the motives. I'm saying the motives differ, vastly, between Google and Apple. I think Google does their regular 'see what sticks' thing (wiki), and Apple thinks about user experience, added benefit.

How do you think Google Maps improved so quickly after they were released? They haven't been around all that long really. Crowd-sourced error reporting and local knowledge, just like what Apple is doing. Plus a few key purchases, again just like Apple is doing.
  • Reply 51 of 75

Quote:

Guess it should be illegal to turn, too, since you have to move your hand to activate the signal. Guess it should be illegal to wipe the windshield, too, since you have to move your hand to turn the wipers on.

Your position is complete nonsense. It's possible that more functions of a smartphone, under direct use of said phone, will be banned in more places, but it is ludicrous to suggest that all functions of all phones will be banned, even if they are directly integrated into the physical vehicle itself, whether hands-free or via touching a button.

Wow you still have these on your car?

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/articles/wiper-history/1920-kissel-gold-bug-windshield-wiper.png

Last time I looked I didn't have to move both my hands from the steering wheel, nor move my eyes from the road to do either or both of the things you describe above.

• Reply 52 of 75
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

Quote:

Of course. I'm glad someone mentioned that. That's inherently different, though. All you have to do with Waze is tell them what the problem is and they'll put it up. With Apple, they wait for a significant number of identical (or near identical) reports before looking into the change themselves. THEN putting it up.

By what I'm seeing, Waze is basically Twitter for vehicular disasters. No pun intended that Twitter causes vehicular disasters.

The comparison between crowdsourcing traffic reports and POI data is meaningless. Any user contributions to permanent map features will certainly be vetted before publication. Traffic conditions however are time sensitive and could change in a matter of minutes. You risk the information becoming worthless if you wait too long to publish it.

• Reply 53 of 75

That's pretty cool, really.

Last time I looked I didn't have to move both my hands from the steering wheel, nor move my eyes from the road to do either or both of the things you describe above.

Funny. Because the same is true of everything I said with a phone integrated into the car.

Run along now, troll. Find another website, even.

• Reply 54 of 75
    macm37macm37 Posts: 41member

For starters, we can thank Google for giving credit to which company is to be more like - and that's Apple.  They have copied Apple's web browser by taking an earlier build of Webkit; creating a more resource consuming version called Chrome - which does not even do all of which Safari and Webkit do.  They have also copied Apple's mobile OS by having a former employee who worked in the same department of when multi-touch was being made and they have created Android, an OS that although on most phones and on all carriers, these carriers beg for the opportunity to become an official seller/carrier of the iPhone to keep their business alive in the near future.  Once again, they have taken a group of former Apple employees whom Apple is not interested in rehiring - this being Waze - and have included a me too feature to show consumers that they are just like Apple.  A few months ago, Appleinsider wrote an article about how the iOS team is including the features that they would want to have from Waze without rehiring their former employees - a smart move by the team who let these employees leave for a reason and have hardly enough interest in bringing them back.  Google, thank you for showing us the consumers how true saying of "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."; and just how pathetic you are.  Your Chrome OS is what Linux co-founder called reckless computing, and Android is a nest waiting for more malware that it's worse than a Windows desktop.  Very pathetic, Google!

• Reply 55 of 75

Quote:

Funny. Because the same is true of everything I said with a phone integrated into the car.

Run along now, troll. Find another website, even.

So that nice image you posted of "ios in the car" was not a touchscreen then. hmm.  image

Nice try.

• Reply 56 of 75

So that nice image you posted of "ios in the car" was not a touchscreen then. hmm.  

Sure doesn't require "moving both hands from the steering wheel", does it.

• Reply 57 of 75
    gatorguy wrote: »
    How do you think Google Maps improved so quickly after they were released? They haven't been around all that long really. Crowd-sourced error reporting and local knowledge, just like what Apple is doing. Plus a few key purchases, again just like Apple is doing.

I don't think they wanted to be rolled over by 'some software company',
    Really felt annoyed and all sh!t hit the fan when Apple didn't extend their maps data licensing,
    Simply had to do better than what they offered on iOS (I understand that Android uses vector based maps).

They bought it in 2004 from Where 2 Technologies, who have been working on it for, I don't know how long. Apple supposedly has been working on it since 2009, but digging up solid facts is difficult with this company.

Apple bought 6 mapping related companies, Google 3 - to the best of my knowledge. That doesn't mean Google relies more on user input. I'm just saying Google has a history of getting more info from its users than what they're saying. Like the WiFi and passwords while driving their Street View cars.

I have read Apple was collecting crowdsourced data in order to build their Maps app, though all reports point to anonymous collection.

Google? I just don't trust the company.
  • Reply 58 of 75
    Sure doesn't require "moving both hands from the steering wheel", does it.

California law prohibits any interactions with your smartphone, period, one handed or two. Just because the interactions are now proxied to a touchscreen on the dash will make no difference in the end run. It's no different than mounting your smartphone in the dash.
  • Reply 59 of 75
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macm37 View Post

For starters, we can thank Google for giving credit to which company is to be more like - and that's Apple.  They have copied Apple's web browser by taking an earlier build of Webkit; creating a more resource consuming version called Chrome - which does not even do all of which Safari and Webkit do.  

Chrome upon its release exceeded Safari in several respects, such as security. Safari didn't isolate each tab in its own sandboxed process until later. In fact per tab processes appears to be one of the upcoming features announced at this year's wwdc.

• Reply 60 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member

Google? I just don't trust the company.

Certainly fair enough. If Google has done something to lose your trust then so be it. . . .

And IMO that's why Google can probably be trusted for the most part. They couldn't afford a billion people like you losing trust, their entire business depends on it.