Prototype enclosures for Apple's 'iPhone 5C' apparently appearing on eBay

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36

The "iPhone 5S's" rumored black logo/lettering and choice of black front panel weighs down the lightness of the industrial design and the two black iOS 7 icons (Stocks and Compass) feels inconsistent with the overall design language and strategy of iOS 7. Besides problematic aesthetics, why are those icons-and only those icons-black? No explanation I've read about functional attributes underlying those icons has made any sense to me. From a distance, those two black icons stick out on the home screen like sores, drawing attention away from the screen as a whole.

Similarly, the contrast between the black ? and lettering of the rear case design and the colorful cases is unappealing and makes no sense design-wise. Black does not "scream fun" and light. And the contrast between the colorful cases and the icons create too much contrast and attention to the logo. (If that's what Jony Ive was going for, Lord help us all.) The black front face of the "5C" that we've been seeing also would be more attractive if it were silver or gray (or even white). It would match a silver or ? and lettering that could and should be used in the rear case design, would provide a more distinct design language for the 5C hardware, open up a design conversation with the "5S" hardware (MacBooks, iPhones, iPods), and better convey "young", "light", "fun", and "approachable".

• Reply 22 of 36
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    gqb wrote: »
    Apple should put the following into their contract with manufacturers...

For every part that is removed from the factory and shows up online, the manufacturer's fine is $100,000 per incident.

Problem solved.

Might already be in there.

Which means someone might be getting hit with a fine. Or at least an audit to see if this is a legit leak.

After all, I can write anything on a blog, a profile, an auction and who is to say that it is legit. Even if this sells and it turns out that apple doesn't release something like this I could always say that I was up front that it was a prototype and I never claimed it was the final version
  • Reply 23 of 36
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    jragosta wrote: »
    That would be insanely stupid.

First, many of the "independent" shops also do warranty repairs (that is, "independent" usually means "not owned by Apple" but doesn't exclude Apple Authorized Shops).

Be that as it may, the first comment stands. Why would Apple be shipping parts to repair shops for a product that hasn't been announced. That is asking for leaks.

They wouldn't. They would have them ready and ship them when the devices launch since no parts are needed for something that can't be broken since no one has one.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGlass View Post

Don't really understand this.  Why should Apple build a plastic phone.  A less expensive iPhone already exists in the 4S and the 4.  Building "cheaper" doesn't advance the brand or improve the product.  During the Jobs era, he repeatedly said that Apple wasn't about profit, it was about product that added value to our lives. A cheaper iPhone does nothing except make the Wall St. folks happy if it adds income and profits.  Apple doesn't really need the money at this point. It has sufficient $$$$$$$$$$ to fund R&D for a long time.  I, for one hope to never see a plastic iPhone.

Apple needs to compete with a lower priced current iPhone.

Just a slight reduction in manufacturing cost can make a very significant reduction in the down payment.  That is the price many people see. 

They don't realize how much of all smart phone costs  are covered by their contract's monthly fee.

• Reply 25 of 36
    Where there's smoke, there's plastic.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Be that as it may, the first comment stands. Why would Apple be shipping parts to repair shops for a product that hasn't been announced. That is asking for leaks.

They wouldn't. They would have them ready and ship them when the devices launch since no parts are needed for something that can't be broken since no one has one.

Then he should have said that instead of suggesting that Apple didn't need to ship spare parts for a year.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Apple needs to compete with a lower priced current iPhone.

No, not really.

Just a slight reduction in manufacturing cost can make a very significant reduction in the down payment.  That is the price many people see. 

Who cares what they see? They also see their monthly cost. $199 vs $0 is meaningless over two years. Just as $399 vs $649 is meaningless over the same period.

• Reply 28 of 36
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    josha wrote: »
    They don't realize how much of all smart phone costs  are covered by their contract's monthly fee.

They shouldn't be buying a smartphone if they can't afford all that it entails.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member

$600 for an alleged rear shell of a stolen prototype? Sheesh

I'd be surprised if that auction still exists by the morning

• Reply 30 of 36
    bclapper wrote: »
    $600 for an alleged rear shell of a stolen prototype? Sheesh
    I'd be surprised if that auction still exists by the morning

Over $12,000 now. But, of course, I doubt if the person who made that bid will ever have to pay.

I agree, the auction won't last until the end.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Looks fake. The pictures are from leaked articles.

• Reply 32 of 36
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member

Up to $16,000 now.  Thank goodness for shill bidders.

• Reply 33 of 36
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Instead of selling my 5, maybe I should auction it ¡
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Auction has been ended - as expected.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Auction has been ended - as expected.

That cease and desist letter got there just in time.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Well, it now does appear that there will be a less expensive iPhone coming if all the press is to be believed. But I've argued with droid users re market share that just as Toyota sells more cars than Mercedes, the Lexus LS doesn't sell anything like S Class numbers. I think the analogy works for the Galaxy S4 v iPhone 5. I must concede however that the connector issue likely is a problem that will be resolved with 5C. As for Jobs attitude re profit vs product, recall that he was fired from Apple at one time perhaps due to this position. And it is well-known that he lived rather simply for all his wealth much in the vein of Warren Buffett. In any event, I for one will not look for a cheaper iPhone. Someone once said (a rich guy) that always buy the best and you'll never be disappointed. ????