Google buys smart watch maker WIMM to boost wearable device initiative [update: Confirmed]

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    Are you actually suggesting that the iPhone was the first smartphone?

Try comparing pre iPhone 'smart phones' to post iPhone 'smart phones' was my obviously too subtle point.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    customtb wrote: »
    No, he was implying that before Apple they really weren't that smart.

Thank you. It's pretty bad when we have to have such things explained to people who come to Apple blogs though isn't it?
  • Reply 43 of 60
    ireland wrote: »
    Maybe if Americans were more like the French, German or Icelandic none of this NSA stuff would have happened and more people of American power would be serving time in prison. The whole nation needs to take their finger out and peacefully march on the streets. And I mean the whole nation. Without absolutely everyone it won't work. The 'Freedom and Accountability March' . Without something like that nothing will change.

Fortunately, not everyone just rolls over and accepts what the war-machine says. Today there are protests planned all over the world: http://interoccupy.net/blog/nowarwithsyria-global-rallies-on-august-31-2013/#

I don't count myself an "Occupy" person, but this transcends all minor disagreements.
  • Reply 44 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Try comparing pre iPhone 'smart phones' to post iPhone 'smart phones' was my obviously too subtle point.

They did exactly the same things as the first iPhone.  The essential change was the addition of a capacitive touch screen.  I don't mean to diminish that step forward in the functionality of the smartphone, but the change in what you could actually do with the phones was minimal initially.

Use of multiple applications?  Check, Check.

Ability to browse the internet?  Check, Check.

Ability to send email?  Check, Check.

Take and view photos and videos?  Check, Check.

Messaging client using data rather than carrier networks?  Check, Check.

• Reply 45 of 60
    They did exactly the same things as the first iPhone.  The essential change was the addition of a capacitive touch screen.  I don't mean to diminish that step forward in the functionality of the smartphone, but the change in what you could actually do with the phones was minimal initially.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. So minimal it destroyed RIM, Nokia and WinMobile. So trivial it and its sibling, the iPad, have destroyed the PC world as we knew it.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. So minimal it destroyed RIM, Nokia and WinMobile. So trivial it and its sibling, the iPad, have destroyed the PC world as we knew it.

Seems even recent history is soon forgotten, eh? Before iPhone, manufacturers and carriers were complacent. Before iPad, Microsoft and the PC industry were sitting pretty, with no sizable competitive threat from Apple!
  • Reply 47 of 60
    Seems even recent history is soon forgotten, eh? Before iPhone, manufacturers and carriers were complacent. Before iPad, Microsoft and the PC industry were sitting pretty, with no sizable competitive threat from Apple!

So right, selective memory abounds! I often wonder if they truly believe the crap they spout or just repeat it to try to convince themselves.
  • Reply 48 of 60

Quote:

Quote:

So right, selective memory abounds! I often wonder if they truly believe the crap they spout or just repeat it to try to convince themselves.

You're completely misinterpreting what I'm saying.  The iPhone changed the game with its capacitive screen.  Every competitor had to use a capacitive screen to remain relevant.  What didn't change (at least initially) was what you could do with your phone.  You remember the first iPhone right?  It was pretty limited in functionality until the Appstore came about.  Today we can do thousands of things that old smartphones (and the first iPhone) couldn't do.

• Reply 49 of 60

ROFLAMO = rolling on the floor laughing at my obtuseness?

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to the notion of an iWatch. I'm sure with this news a google device will just be another "thing" packed full of a bunch of stuff that has no actual utility function but looks "awesome" on a spec sheet.

• Reply 50 of 60

You're completely misinterpreting what I'm saying.  The iPhone changed the game with its capacitive screen.  Every competitor had to use a capacitive screen to remain relevant.  What didn't change (at least initially) was what you could do with your phone.  You remember the first iPhone right?  It was pretty limited in functionality until the Appstore came about.  Today we can do thousands of things that old smartphones (and the first iPhone) couldn't do.

I guess you don't remember how limited browsing (and e-mailing, to a lesser extent) was on pre-iPhone smart phones. You could browse, but the experience is night and day.
  • Reply 51 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Then it will go away and you won't have to worry.

Meanwhile, it's not hurting you, so why are you so adamantly opposed? The watch business is worth $40 B per year. If someone gets even a couple percent of that with a wearable watch (and, even assuming that the total market doesn't grow), that's still real money.

Wearing a watch is a $40B business?  Wow, there are that many who need to manage time that badly to pay that much for something that is really cheap?  Why not just use your phone like most do now-a-days?

• Reply 52 of 60
    sambira wrote: »
    Why not just use your phone like most do now-a-days?

I could answer that, but I guess time will tell why people don't do this.
  • Reply 53 of 60

Then I completely disagree with you. I have an orginal iPhone here, alongside every model Apple has made and it still astounds me how utterly science fiction like the first one was compared to anything that existed at the time. So much so the term smartphone was a joke. You have selective memory to 'check' away at the boxes in your earlier post. It would be like saying a horse and buggy and a Tesla are both equally good vehicles .... Wheels, check, seats, check and so on!
  • Reply 54 of 60
    It would be like saying a horse and buggy and a Tesla are both equally good vehicles .... Wheels, check, seats, check and so on!

Funny that; this is exactly what the competition does: ticking off check lists.

edit: going OT here, but Andrea Jung describes Steve's way of thinking good I think:
    Chairman and CEO, Avon

All of us like to think that we're as focused on the consumer and the end-user experience as Steve is -- that maniacal passion for the best phone, the best MP3 player, the best PC, the best retail experience.

He does it in a very black-and-white way, while the rest of the world gets caught up in the gray -- or caught up in themselves. He makes it sound so simple, but he's taking on things that are extraordinarily complex and arguably risky. He's laser-focused on getting it right. It's a great lesson in this quarter-to-quarter world.

With seven directors, the Apple board -- which I am on -- is smaller than most, including Avon's. There's an extraordinary openness in the boardroom. Any board member would feel free to challenge an idea or raise a concern.

It's not only been gratifying, it's been great. I feel like I'm part of history being made. I leave Apple board meetings thinking, "I've got to do a better job."

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/technology/0911/gallery.steve_jobs_testimonials.fortune/2.html
  • Reply 55 of 60
    philboogie wrote: »
    Funny that; this is exactly what the competition does: ticking off check lists.

edit: going OT here, but Andrea Jung describes Steve's way of thinking good I think:
    http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/technology/0911/gallery.steve_jobs_testimonials.fortune/2.html

Thanks for that. What a miss he is ... /sigh. Hopefully they (at Apple) have a decade or more of his thoughts to work through ....
  • Reply 56 of 60
    Thanks for that. What a miss he is ... /sigh. Hopefully they (at Apple) have a decade or more of his thoughts to work through ....

Probably more than a decade: according to 'Remembering Steve' Tim Cook said something along the lines of Steve being most proud of Apple. And I don't think he meant that it is the most valued company, money wise, in the world. I took it as he is proud to have transferred his way of thinking over to the employees. If true, it wouldn't be tied to just a period in time, or a roadmap of products.

Could be wrong, obviously. But yes, I miss him too. Strange how one can miss someone who you've never met.
  • Reply 57 of 60

web browsing? Do you even know what you are talking about? You are comparing an horse to a car.

Clearly you are also forgetting the most important thing. The iPhone could evolve.
  • Reply 58 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

web browsing? Do you even know what you are talking about? You are comparing an horse to a car.

Clearly you are also forgetting the most important thing. The iPhone could evolve.

Quote:

Then I completely disagree with you. I have an orginal iPhone here, alongside every model Apple has made and it still astounds me how utterly science fiction like the first one was compared to anything that existed at the time. So much so the term smartphone was a joke. You have selective memory to 'check' away at the boxes in your earlier post. It would be like saying a horse and buggy and a Tesla are both equally good vehicles .... Wheels, check, seats, check and so on!

You are both right on the money.  My examples were just check boxes because that's an important aspect of comparing two things.  Qualitatively, everything was better on the iPhone.  It was better by a factor of 10.

And the reason it was so much better?  The capacitive screen and what it allowed you to do from a UX standpoint.

• Reply 59 of 60
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

In case you all needed a good laugh, VentureBeat apparently got their hands on a prototype of Samsung's Galaxy Gear smart watch.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/09/01/this-is-samsungs-galaxy-gear-smartwatch-a-blocky-health-tracker-with-a-camera/#vb-gallery:2:806439

In short:

- Blocky and ugly

- Way too large (3" square screen)

- 10 hour battery life (A watch that can't tell time at the end of the day!)

It'll be interesting to see how much the final product differs from this monstrosity.

• Reply 60 of 60
    next rumour.. the iTank, although perhaps already mastered by the likes of RIM and Nokia